Laurent Durieux - Appreciation & Discussion

General art-related discussion.
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:54 am

Remember, last time we had an LD joke it was him saying Indy was cancelled.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
longchamps
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:36 pm

Also ISO Alien PB. Will make it worth your while :wink:
triporfreak
Art Expert

Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:29 pm

cool trailer...you can see some of LD's imagery in there.

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1198456857/
jonkino
Art Connoisseur

Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:41 pm

I love Laurent's work, and I love Hitchcock, love To Catch a Thief but not just sure about this poster. It's cool but I would really have liked some closeup images of Grant and Kelly on this. I mean it looks a bit like Spiderman on that roof! Shame as I am not sure I buy this at all and was really looking forward to it. I will have to see it in person first before buying it maybe a TB later this year.

Out of interest, this is one of my favourite recent posters for this film (UK Quad cinema poster). just for everyone's interest.
to catch a thief-v small.jpg
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:52 pm

That is a delightful quad, thanks for sharing.

Grace Kelly is always money though, like some sort of movie poster cheat code.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
ahnonamis
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:20 am

jonkino wrote:I love Laurent's work, and I love Hitchcock, love To Catch a Thief but not just sure about this poster. It's cool but I would really have liked some closeup images of Grant and Kelly on this. I mean it looks a bit like Spiderman on that roof! Shame as I am not sure I buy this at all and was really looking forward to it. I will have to see it in person first before buying it maybe a TB later this year.

Out of interest, this is one of my favourite recent posters for this film (UK Quad cinema poster). just for everyone's interest.

Probably a matter of having permission to make a print based on the movie, but not to use any actor likenesses.
DarkHallMansion
Art Expert

Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:30 pm

DHM's giving away one of each of the 6 different Laurent Durieux "To Catch a Thief" editions, Std, Variant, Foils, and Canvas, just follow us on Instagram for a chance to win. Details here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BDobcXuQHu3 ... allmansion

DHM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDobcXuQHu3 ... allmansion
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:36 pm

jonkino wrote:I love Laurent's work, and I love Hitchcock, love To Catch a Thief but not just sure about this poster. It's cool but I would really have liked some closeup images of Grant and Kelly on this. I mean it looks a bit like Spiderman on that roof! Shame as I am not sure I buy this at all and was really looking forward to it. I will have to see it in person first before buying it maybe a TB later this year.

How recent is that quad?
time
Art Expert

Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:05 pm

I'm glad to have picked up a variant. It's Laurent Durieux. It's a classic film. It's beautiful art. (It's GID). It's win win. People didn't sell out his Jaws immediately either :) I "listened" to the naysayers on here and hesitated on that one, and that's the reason it is still one of the few he has done that I still don't have in my collection. (I also hope there really isn't now going to be a version with credits, since it does sound like many of us who bought in on this might have held off for that if it wasn't a "joke.")

Pleased to own this. Thanks Dark Hall and LD! :clap:
fitz
Art Expert

Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:26 pm

agree on the figure, it would (IMO) look better without it.
jonkino
Art Connoisseur

Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:58 pm

time wrote:I'm glad to have picked up a variant. It's Laurent Durieux. It's a classic film. It's beautiful art. (It's GID). It's win win. People didn't sell out his Jaws immediately either :) I "listened" to the naysayers on here and hesitated on that one, and that's the reason it is still one of the few he has done that I still don't have in my collection. (I also hope there really isn't now going to be a version with credits, since it does sound like many of us who bought in on this might have held off for that if it wasn't a "joke.")

Reissue of the fim in the UK was August 2014 for which this quad was issued for.
egrimens
Art Expert

Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:11 pm

time wrote:I'm glad to have picked up a variant. It's Laurent Durieux. It's a classic film. It's beautiful art. (It's GID). It's win win. People didn't sell out his Jaws immediately either :) I "listened" to the naysayers on here and hesitated on that one, and that's the reason it is still one of the few he has done that I still don't have in my collection. (I also hope there really isn't now going to be a version with credits, since it does sound like many of us who bought in on this might have held off for that if it wasn't a "joke.")

Just an FYI, Jaws DID sell out immediately, yes there were lots of people that passed and plenty of naysayers, but it still sold out in under a minute or so when it went up.

This isn't to say you can really compare the two though, this was when everything Mondo put up sold out in seconds and the print was $20-$25 cheaper for a much bigger pop culture film.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:18 pm

The Hitchcock Estate just bought 25 of these. You'll be able to trade this for a JAWS in no time!
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
Packatrix
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:31 am

fitz wrote:
agree on the figure, it would (IMO) look better without it.
The figure doesn't seem to work... I wonder whether a silhouette coming from a figure that is out of shot might have worked better, something to help with the large tile area. :)
bigfar
Art Enthusiast

Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:24 pm

I gave this one a miss, just didn't do it for me.