Laurent Durieux - Appreciation & Discussion

General art-related discussion.
DidYouSeeMeEscaping
Art Connoisseur

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:23 pm

bert wrote:I like BttF3 too...I prefer it to 2, although I haven't seen it for a few years so it could be my memory tricking me.
I agree, mostly because in BTTF2(and yes, I know it's a lighthearted time-travel movie) after 2015 Biff steals the time machine to take the almanac back to his younger self, Doc Brown explains why they cant stop him from stealing the car in the future AND WHY THE CAR SHOULD NEVER HAVE GONE BACK TO 2015 IN THE FIRST PLACE, AND SHOULDVE LEFT DOC AND MARTY STRANDED IN 2015. He literally breaks out the chalkboard explains the rules of time travel in the movie, except it doesnt make any drymounting sense.

End rant, I just get tired of the hate on 3, when BttF 2 is almost insulting in how it explains its time travel rules even though 2 minutes earlier it blatantly doesnt follow those rules.
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:25 pm

DidYouSeeMeEscaping wrote:
bert wrote:I like BttF3 too...I prefer it to 2, although I haven't seen it for a few years so it could be my memory tricking me.
I agree, mostly because(and yes, I know it's a lighthearted time-travel movie) after 2015 Biff steals the time machine to take the almanac back to his younger self, Doc Brown explains why they cant stop him from stealing the car in the future AND WHY THE CAR SHOULD NEVER HAVE GONE BACK TO 2015 IN THE FIRST PLACE, AND SHOULDVE LEFT DOC AND MARTY STRANDED IN 2015. He literally breaks out the chalkboard explains the rules of time travel in the movie, except it doesnt make any drymounting sense.

End rant, I just get tired of the hate on 3, when BttF 2 is almost insulting in how it explains its time travel rules even though 2 minutes earlier it blatantly doesnt follow those rules.
Pretty much what killed some of my enjoyment of 2.

That plus 1 is damn near perfect.

Debating trying to get 2 and going for 3 on the drop, but I'm surprisingly okay with just having 1.
Last edited by jkw3000 on Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
dskdaniel
Art Expert

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:25 pm

I love them all. I love 2 for all it's noir influences and timeline converging. I love 3 for all it's Leone influences and giving Doc some depth to his character.
dskdaniel
Art Expert

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:29 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
DidYouSeeMeEscaping wrote:
I agree, mostly because(and yes, I know it's a lighthearted time-travel movie) after 2015 Biff steals the time machine to take the almanac back to his younger self, Doc Brown explains why they cant stop him from stealing the car in the future AND WHY THE CAR SHOULD NEVER HAVE GONE BACK TO 2015 IN THE FIRST PLACE, AND SHOULDVE LEFT DOC AND MARTY STRANDED IN 2015. He literally breaks out the chalkboard explains the rules of time travel in the movie, except it doesnt make any drymounting sense.

Pretty much what killed my enjoyment of 2.

That plus 1 is damn near perfect.

Debating trying to get 2 and going for 3 on the drop, but I'm surprisingly okay with just having 1.
Just because Biff changed the past doesn't mean his influence would reach all the way to 2015. There's a deleted part where Old Biff disappears from existence after returning, which is why he's in pain. That's because Biff died at some point in the past because of all his illegal fudge. So, things would eventually return to some semblance of normalcy . And while Doc's explanation later shows two timelines, it's not like alternate realities where that other timeline still exists and they are stuck in it. Once the other timeline has changed it becomes that timeline. Whether or not the McFlys still live in that house doesn't matter because Marty and Doc are outside carrying Jennifer by the time Biff returns. Because they're time traveling themselves they aren't instantly affected by changes in the past, otherwise Marty would have instantly disappeared the moment he stopped his parents from meeting.
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:38 pm

Meh, I don't necessarily agree but if that helps explain it for others then cool.

I guess my bigger point is BTTF1 alone works just fine with the rules it gave itself.
dskdaniel
Art Expert

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:43 pm

jkw3000 wrote:Meh, I don't necessarily agree but if that helps explain it for others then cool.

I guess my bigger point is BTTF1 alone works just fine with the rules it gave itself.
I don't see how it's different rules. Marty does the same thing in 1 as Biff does in 2, it just works out better for him.
jkw3000
EB Team

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:48 pm

dskdaniel wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:Meh, I don't necessarily agree but if that helps explain it for others then cool.

I don't see how it's different rules. Marty does the same thing in 1 as Biff does in 2, it just works out better for him.
Marty shows up in a different future. Biff doesn't. The argument becomes about how quickly we think the effects of time travel move toward the future, and that kind of debate depends on what rules you think that universe sets (and it's not something I really want to get into in the Durieux appreciation thread). I'm just agreeing to disagree.

Back on topic...it's a good job by Durieux. Think it's the lack of "lit" elements on the car that really separate 3 from the first two, otherwise I like the concepts.
dskdaniel
Art Expert

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:51 pm

jkw3000 wrote:
dskdaniel wrote:

Marty shows up in a different future. Biff doesn't. The argument becomes about how quickly we think the effects of time travel move toward the future, and that kind of debate depends on what rules you think that universe sets (and it's not something I really want to get into in the Durieux appreciation thread). I'm just agreeing to disagree.
I'm fine with getting into it. You don't know it's not a different future. They're only there for about 30 seconds after Biff gets back.
jrsheppa
Art Expert

Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:40 pm

After getting home and looking at the images again, I love the BTTF3. But surprisingly I like the variant way better than the reg. I have BTTF1 and 2 regs though. So I splurged and just bought a BTTF2 variant off eBay for a surprisingly fair price. Excited to see it in person, hopefully I can grab a 3 reg and variant and decide in person which I like better.
MoviePosterEmpire

Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:56 pm

Just like Jennifer on the porch and Einstein, the new future timeline changes around them, meaning that whatever new timeline Biff has created, Doc and Marty will be there in the new one as it changes around them. You're thinking too much.
dskdaniel
Art Expert

Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:09 am

jrsheppa wrote:After getting home and looking at the images again, I love the BTTF3. But surprisingly I like the variant way better than the reg. I have BTTF1 and 2 regs though. So I splurged and just bought a BTTF2 variant off eBay for a surprisingly fair price. Excited to see it in person, hopefully I can grab a 3 reg and variant and decide in person which I like better.
Decide on the reg and sell me the variant at a decent price.
Luigi1138
Art Enthusiast

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:48 pm

Is the variant also GID like the others?
jmagee87
Art Expert

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Luigi1138 wrote:Is the variant also GID like the others?
BttF2 didnt have GID on the variant. Just metallics. Bttf1 had GID and metallics on the variant
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
MoviePosterEmpire

Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:03 pm

jmagee87 wrote:
Luigi1138 wrote:Is the variant also GID like the others?
BttF2 didnt have GID on the variant. Just metallics. Bttf1 had GID and metallics on the variant
I've thought that was weird this whole time.
Luigi1138
Art Enthusiast

Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:04 pm

Thank you sir.......and a giant facepalm for me :hanging: