HOW & NOSM NEWS

General art-related discussion.
hellosir
Art Freak

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:44 am

Do you know how hard it is for street artists to get museum shows? I've never even heard of these two before. I can guarantee you they havent
mrkyuss
Art God

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:08 am

Don't you read ZOMG SAN?
President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).
hellosir
Art Freak

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:16 am

I need a beer, whose with me?
mrkyuss
Art God

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:18 am

I'm in bed.
hellosir
Art Freak

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:21 am

I've never wanted to visit Australia before. I'm not missing out on anything am I?
mrkyuss
Art God

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:41 am

Not really. I ride a kangaroo to work, that could interest you.
sin
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:47 am

so there are 4 discussions at once here

1. the subjective price of art and what contributes to it
2. price per square inch pricing /square centimeter pricing
3. museum shows impact or validation of an artists career (and that impact or justification on pricing)
4. the specific credentials of how & nosm

i wont say im qualified to discuss topic 1. frankly this is a topic into and of itself where there are amazing outliers, subgroups that have their own strange behaviour and id be a fool to try to speak on a topic i know little about. ive seen artists simply make the decision to add zeros on the end of their pricing and seen their sales go up with no prior justification.

being that i collect emerging and late emerging i use this baseline to determine if its a smart move for me. i do know artist think of their value in these terms (in sq feet / meeters when dealing with murals). as a general rule of thumb i look for $3 per sq inch when puchasing un reresented artists. when dealing with represented emerging artists im looking at $5 per sq inch. if the artist has sold out, is late emerging etc then ill go outside that number to about $10 per sq inch. everyone has their own strategy, this is mine, i know others use it and artists think in these terms as well.

im not qualified to speak on the museum topic but i believe there are massive exceptions to this rule in both directions. artists with large pricetags 20k - 40k price tags with no museum participation, artists who got there far before they had museum shows and artists with museum recognition who dont sell in that price range. so its clearly a component ofmsuccessful careers and all successful careers are likely to either now or later in their lives end up there. however chronologically its not a requirement to have hit the mesueum first to achieve 20 - 40k ( or higher ) price points. considering this is EB i think the point should be made that Geddes sells in this price range with zero institutional shows to his credit.

now regarding how and nosm. like many street artists there is another component. street work. these guys have public art pieces as part of the philidelphia murals project, Tony Goldman's wynwood walls project (twice), the bowrey wall, and the LA. Freewalls project. as far as institutional shows, i believe they are in the permanent collection at the smithsonian, they. have done mural installations at MIT,the bronx museum of the arts, museum of contemporary art in italy, particpated im the boneyard project hereis their full bio http://www.howandnosm.com/biography.
bkboy77
Art Expert

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:29 am

seems like they have very good representation based on the art galleries that have showcased their works.
fung430 wrote:Expressobeans knows everything.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:21 pm

hellosir wrote:I've never wanted to visit Australia before. I'm not missing out on anything am I?
I hear the women there are quite loose.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ksn
Art Expert

Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:45 pm

Not sure why people are always up in arms when price per sq inches are mentioned. With size as one of the main factors in determining pricing, simplifying it to a common denominator allows us to compare prices from one piece to another. Obviously it's not the only factor to take into account when purchasing art, but it'd be stupid to disregard the ratio of price and size.
bmerel
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:04 am

ksn wrote:Not sure why people are always up in arms when price per sq inches are mentioned. With size as one of the main factors in determining pricing, simplifying it to a common denominator allows us to compare prices from one piece to another. Obviously it's not the only factor to take into account when purchasing art, but it'd be stupid to disregard the ratio of price and size.

Content is all that drymountin matters. You love it, buy it. Leave long division to the 7th graders. :P

My comment wasn't made with an insensitive tone. Everyone has their own methods when purchasing art and obviously the norm is bigger pieces beget bigger prices. I mostly focus on one thing...do I love it and if so, can I bring this home to my wall without sending myself into a financial crisis.
hellosir
Art Freak

Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:56 am

ksn wrote:Not sure why people are always up in arms when price per sq inches are mentioned. With size as one of the main factors in determining pricing, simplifying it to a common denominator allows us to compare prices from one piece to another. Obviously it's not the only factor to take into account when purchasing art, but it'd be stupid to disregard the ratio of price and size.
Sorry, I think it's patently absurd that people would think to consider pricing in terms of square inches. This isn't a real estate investment
mrkyuss
Art God

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:05 am

hellosir wrote:
Sorry, I think it's patently absurd that people would think to consider pricing in terms of square inches. This isn't a real estate investment
I agree.
ksn
Art Expert

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:18 am

hellosir wrote:Sorry, I think it's patently absurd that people would think to consider pricing in terms of square inches. This isn't a real estate investment
Nobody obsesses over price per square footage when looking for homes when there are so many other factors to consider. It's just a statistic there to help guide your decision and easily make comparisons to other pieces of property. Not sure why this is such an absurd concept to use when buying art, which is most often priced based off of it's size. We're not talking $50 prints here...
hellosir
Art Freak

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:31 am

True, but when it comes to 50k canvasses, which your really pick an inferior image in your eyes just because its x$s/sq inch cheaper? It just seems so stupid. I guess if we are talking about the high level art consumer who buys things to stick the
In the climate controlled cellar as an investment, this might factor in. But if I was at a gallery show and some dude said "wow, this is a great buy. It's only $30 dollars per square inch!" I would literally laugh in his face and call him an asshole