Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:40 pm

Buckle up
That's what she said
jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:36 pm

finneganm wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:30 pm
My wife was not nearly as excited as I was.
Correct reaction tho.
35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:46 pm

jvwoodford wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:18 pm
KSUvet wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:30 pm
jvwoodford wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:08 pm
Probably in the minority but i prefer the edited colour palette where the kids are in silhouette form and the colours are more muted. I still absolutely love it though, especially after only recently discovering the hidden ship imagery formed from the negative space, genius!
No, I agree. It also has the dotted line and X which I also like. I didn't realize at first that this version was different, since it's been a while. I chased after that poster for a bit, so this version will still do nicely! Maybe I'm slow, but I don't see a ship though. :?
If you make the poster really small it is easier to see: imagine the ship is coming out at you with the nose/front slightly pointing to the right, the bulk of the area cut out of the map is the sail, the area of rock framed from the rest of the cut out map is the actual ships shape, i think the staff was added and positioned exactly so that it formed the masthead too. I tried searching for an official rationale online but couldn't find one but i can't unsee it and it just feels right.

Immediately elevates the art as otherwise the random floating map serves no real purpose. More importantly it perfectly encapsulates a sense of adventure and imagination with the kids being transported from an otherwise normal scene where they are standing on a rocky incline to essentially standing on a ship.

OK, I can see that! I was trying to make it go side-to-side like the other photoshop job that jkw posted, and I wasn't quite buying it. If that was really the artist's intent, I think the effect definitely works better in the lighter version too. It blends together too much in the shadow one.
acidburn wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:00 pm
Yea they’re fun. We just got a license recently and it’s the best lenticular we’ve produced. Can’t stop looking at it each day
Jurassic Park?
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
ethnosax
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:04 pm

acidburn wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:00 pm
Yea they’re fun. We just got a license recently and it’s the best lenticular we’ve produced. Can’t stop looking at it each day
I can only assume this means you got the rights to the Polish Star Wars posters. Please?

jkw3000
EB Team

Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:11 pm

Mac and Me...in THREEEEEE DEEEEEEEEEE
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:03 am

KSUvet wrote:
jvwoodford wrote:
KSUvet wrote:
jvwoodford wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:08 pm
Probably in the minority but i prefer the edited colour palette where the kids are in silhouette form and the colours are more muted. I still absolutely love it though, especially after only recently discovering the hidden ship imagery formed from the negative space, genius!
No, I agree. It also has the dotted line and X which I also like. I didn't realize at first that this version was different, since it's been a while. I chased after that poster for a bit, so this version will still do nicely! Maybe I'm slow, but I don't see a ship though. :?
If you make the poster really small it is easier to see: imagine the ship is coming out at you with the nose/front slightly pointing to the right, the bulk of the area cut out of the map is the sail, the area of rock framed from the rest of the cut out map is the actual ships shape, i think the staff was added and positioned exactly so that it formed the masthead too. I tried searching for an official rationale online but couldn't find one but i can't unsee it and it just feels right.

Immediately elevates the art as otherwise the random floating map serves no real purpose. More importantly it perfectly encapsulates a sense of adventure and imagination with the kids being transported from an otherwise normal scene where they are standing on a rocky incline to essentially standing on a ship.

OK, I can see that! I was trying to make it go side-to-side like the other photoshop job that jkw posted, and I wasn't quite buying it. If that was really the artist's intent, I think the effect definitely works better in the lighter version too. It blends together too much in the shadow one.
I really want to know if this was the intent, maybe reach out to Alvin's family somehow? I'm just curious. The problem with that first suggestion of only the top half being part of the illusion is that the bottom half is completely obsolete and just feels out of place, I also couldn't see it as clearly as this one. The way the rock edges are lit seems pretty intentional to get that shape of the front of the ship and the position of the wooden staff and the kids also just seems to fit too well. Of course if I'm wrong and it was disclosed by Alvin what the actual intent was I'd be keen to learn more.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:19 am

the best things in life occur naturally- and that's just wonderful :clap:
suckittrebek
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:10 am

Got my 4mm The Thing lenticular today. Looks great!
acidburn
Art Daddy

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:16 am

:notworthy:
jkw3000
EB Team

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:18 am

https://bottleneckgallery.com/blogs/new ... -sale-info

Under The Iron Sky by Oliver Rankin
Giclee print
18 x 24 inches
Hand-numbered edition of 100
$45

Under The Iron Sky - Foil Variant by Oliver Rankin
Giclee print on foil paper
18 x 24 inches
Hand-numbered edition of 25
$55

Spirited Away by Conor Smyth
Giclee print
24 x 16 inches
Hand-numbered edition of 100
$40

Spirited Away - Variant by Conor Smyth
Giclee print
24 x 16 inches
Hand-numbered edition of 50
$50
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:41 am

OOh that spirited a way is fun!
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
aldobishalini
Art Expert

Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:27 am

suckittrebek wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:10 am
Got my 4mm The Thing lenticular today. Looks great!
Yup, put the 1mm Art print in the light frame. Have to take another shot when it’s darker tonight. They really pop.

BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”
aldobishalini
Art Expert

Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:34 am

Also, don’t forget to grab the COA(s) in the red document enclosed sleeve on the front of the box. They are not inside.
BISHALINI.com (My Collection) Image

“Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning.”
GoBluePanic
Art Expert

Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:40 pm

jvwoodford wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:03 am
KSUvet wrote:
jvwoodford wrote:
KSUvet wrote:

I really want to know if this was the intent, maybe reach out to Alvin's family somehow? I'm just curious. The problem with that first suggestion of only the top half being part of the illusion is that the bottom half is completely obsolete and just feels out of place, I also couldn't see it as clearly as this one. The way the rock edges are lit seems pretty intentional to get that shape of the front of the ship and the position of the wooden staff and the kids also just seems to fit too well. Of course if I'm wrong and it was disclosed by Alvin what the actual intent was I'd be keen to learn more.
It would be really strange if it wasn't the intent and just came out that way. I think you're on the money with the idea though. I appreciate you sharing that too because I just saw another Goonies poster prior to your point.
I'm not someone else.
finneganm
Art Freak

Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:31 pm

aldobishalini wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:34 am
Also, don’t forget to grab the COA(s) in the red document enclosed sleeve on the front of the box. They are not inside.
That will surely put and end to those lenticular counterfeiter gangs that have been ravaging the countryside, ripping off movie poster geeks with reckless abandon.
That's what she said