howdyall
Art Expert

Fri May 07, 2021 3:28 pm

TimothyPDoyle wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:57 pm
ygolohcysp wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:28 pm

Nice to see it funded, congrats Tim!
Thanks man! Yeah, that's Spoke Art's and Recess' project- obviously I'm involved but they're handling all the heavy lifting.
Nakatomi did just have this Bernie Wrightson puzzle project a bit ago, that one did really well-
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ti ... =user_menu
I'd buy that Wrightson puzzle!

any chance of a reprint?
TimothyPDoyle
Art Enthusiast

Sat May 08, 2021 3:38 am

howdyall wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:28 pm
TimothyPDoyle wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:57 pm
ygolohcysp wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:28 pm

Nice to see it funded, congrats Tim!
Thanks man! Yeah, that's Spoke Art's and Recess' project- obviously I'm involved but they're handling all the heavy lifting.
Nakatomi did just have this Bernie Wrightson puzzle project a bit ago, that one did really well-
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ti ... =user_menu
I'd buy that Wrightson puzzle!

any chance of a reprint?
You're in luck- we ordered more than sold during the Kickstarter (like you do) and when we get the puzzles in hand and fill all the orders for the Kickstarter, any remaining puzzles will be put on sale on the Nakatomi site.
TimothyPDoyle
Art Enthusiast

Sat May 08, 2021 3:42 am

seincat wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:20 pm
out of curiosity, why not just call your prints open edition instead of doing limited edition round 2 or round 3? (Renumbering the prints back to 1 is not really a new edition) i'm sure this is a big reason people are not happy due to this advertisement of LE.
For the last couple years, with my work, we've done a first edition that is signed and numbered, and any future printings are just signed and dated with the year they are printed.
We decided to stop doing numbered editions because really- after 10 printings of some of my pieces, who is keeping track anymore?
(I mean- we still keep track of how many get printed, but we don't worry about numbering.)
On the Nakatomi site, they are noted as being 'open edition'.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sat May 08, 2021 9:23 am

that almost sounds legit these days :D :wink:

be well
sidaldo
Art Expert

Sat May 08, 2021 5:24 pm

I would definitely like to give my experience(rant) here about Tim Doyle, Nakatomi and Spoke Art:

Tim's unreal estate was one of the first few prints that I collected and the art is fantastic, not taking anything away from that but what deeply saddens me is that they were originally sold as "limited edition" which is deceiving to majority of the people who bought the so termed first edition. I don't understand why they weren't sold as open editions or 1st runs making it very clear to the buyer that these may be rerun. I even understand a single small re-run for the massive demand but to just make them open editions one day and that also in the same damn size is bloody ridiculous. Back when the Simpson's series sold out instantly some of them like the variants used to go quite high in the aftermarket and many people like me spent a lot on it just to feel shortchanged by the fact that few years down the line all of them are available on Nakatomis 50% off sale at 30$ a pop. Balls. More than money, it's even the deception of originally thinking you bought a limited piece of art. Should a fine artist start painting duplicates of his or her work? A lot of the reason why this industry is existing and growing is because of the limited nature of prints making it a collectable hence recurring collectors. People would lose faith in collecting or even buying the so called limited edition if everybody started doing this. I don't think Tim's demand would even exist for his so called casual buyers without this community. Limited edition art prints have existed for centuries and its shocking that Tim Doyle is after a cash grab and masks it up by saying I want more people to own my art, pathetic. Like members of this group say, why not come up with more original content instead of reprinting. Jesus. Further, I used to be in touch with Tim and bought a lot of stuff from him directly and today when I email, DM, FB message him about this he doesn't even have the balls to reply.
Why disappointed in spoke art? Well, they are the gallery that promoted Tim initially and it should have been there duty to have contracts or at least the moral ethics in place with tim to be faithful to all those collectors who did give both Spoke and Tim the initial push. When I messaged Ken from Spoke Art about this, nice man that he is, kind enough to reply unlike Tim, he stated:
"Tim Doyle does his reprints for exactly this reason, so that he can provide prints to small store and businesses for resale."
"For Tim, he just wants to get his work into as many hands as possible! I personally think that the original signed and numbered prints are worth more now because of this, but that's just me."
Is that so? Why don't you re buy my original run prints for hundreds of dollars and put them back into your mystery tube? Why don't you test in an Ebay auction whether the value of original run exists when you have the EXACT same fudge selling for 30$.
I just feel that's such a casual and unprofessional approach from what seems to be a well established gallery is losing my faith. Does this mean that every print spoke art or hashimoto contemporary sells may just be reprinted anytime in any quantities based on the demand?
Luckily in my now decade of collecting I've never had to experience this with any other artist and I have a bittersweet feeling everytime I look at his art.
Don't stop at puzzles tim, please print it on mugs, keychains, tee shirts, back packs, 5$ digital prints, suck the fudge out of it.
sidaldo
Art Expert

Sat May 08, 2021 5:30 pm

TimothyPDoyle wrote:
seincat wrote:
out of curiosity, why not just call your prints open edition instead of doing limited edition round 2 or round 3? (Renumbering the prints back to 1 is not really a new edition) i'm sure this is a big reason people are not happy due to this advertisement of LE.
For the last couple years, with my work, we've done a first edition that is signed and numbered, and any future printings are just signed and dated with the year they are printed.
We decided to stop doing numbered editions because really- after 10 printings of some of my pieces, who is keeping track anymore?
(I mean- we still keep track of how many get printed, but we don't worry about numbering.)
Please stop fooling people with these comments. Last few years? Your unreal estate show was in 2012 if I'm not wrong. That's 9 years ago. Not just last few years its basically since the beginning. You're reprinting images that were released back then.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Sat May 08, 2021 6:00 pm

The struggle is real. Imagine thinking your Tim Doyle Simpsons prints that you bought on the secondary market would hold value. If you were happy to pay what they cost to look at them then you made a great choice. If you're investing... Not sure what to tell you.

Tim printed new editions of sold out prints long before unreal estate. If you weren't educated that's on you.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat May 08, 2021 6:12 pm

Luls. Dis guy gets it.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
bubbie
Art Expert

Sat May 08, 2021 6:26 pm

Now it’s really like the old thread(s)!
finneganm
Art Freak

Sat May 08, 2021 6:51 pm

finneganm wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 7:28 pm
You’re crushing the aftermarket on my 6th edition poster of that one you did with the squid. You prick.
That's what she said
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Sat May 08, 2021 8:22 pm

The emotions that led to buying a Tim Doyle Simpsons print on the secondary market are closely related to the ones on display in that novel up there. I'm not cutting on anyone for having them but one must recognize the connection.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Sat May 08, 2021 9:47 pm

bubbie wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:26 pm
Now it’s really like the old thread(s)!
TimothyPDoyle
Art Enthusiast

Sat May 08, 2021 10:48 pm

sidaldo wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:30 pm
TimothyPDoyle wrote:
seincat wrote:
Please stop fooling people with these comments. Last few years? Your unreal estate show was in 2012 if I'm not wrong. That's 9 years ago. Not just last few years its basically since the beginning. You're reprinting images that were released back then.
Sorry if I wasn't clear- what I mean was we used to print a lot of my pieces in subsequently numbered editions, (1st, 2nd, 3rd) that kind of thing.
(Both Change Into a Truck, and "Got to Be Kind" got past the 10th edition.)
For the last few years, we now only print one numbered edition of any new work, and then any reprints of that image are just signed and dated. I am absolutely reprinting a lot of my older work, and will continue to do so as long as there is demand. I did not mean to imply that it was only done with pieces created in the last couple years.
Hope that makes it clearer.
TimothyPDoyle
Art Enthusiast

Sat May 08, 2021 11:06 pm

sidaldo wrote:
its shocking that Tim Doyle is after a cash grab and masks it up by saying I want more people to own my art, pathetic.
Well, to be fair- I want to do both. I like as many people as possible to own my artwork, and I want to maximize my income to continue to live my lifestyle. We live in a capitalist society, and I took no vow of poverty when I decided to make a living as an artist.
sidaldo wrote:
Like members of this group say, why not come up with more original content instead of reprinting.
I do both. Last year I did over 200 watercolor commissions for people. It was a lot of fun.
sidaldo wrote:
Further, I used to be in touch with Tim and bought a lot of stuff from him directly and today when I email, DM, FB message him about this he doesn't even have the balls to reply.
Honestly? If you want to get in to it- you messaged me all the time, much more than any collector I ever had in the past, so I just stopped replying. My job isn't answering dm's from people on my FB page. If you have a customer service issue, I have people to answer those emails. My time is my own.
sidaldo wrote:
Does this mean that every print spoke art or hashimoto contemporary sells may just be reprinted anytime in any quantities based on the demand?
While I do work with Spoke occasionally, they have nothing to do with my decision to reprint my work, nor do they have a financial stake in the work I release on Nakatomi. Any issue you have with me on this, should not involve them at all.

I am truly sorry that I offended you, but when it comes to deciding between being able to make a living as I choose, or keeping a single customer happy... I'm going to choose the former.
TimothyPDoyle
Art Enthusiast

Sat May 08, 2021 11:08 pm

Grateful69Phish wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:23 am
that almost sounds legit these days :D :wink:

be well
Thanks man- I'm trying.