Olly Moss gets his own thread

General art-related discussion.
tlaz
Art Expert

Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:13 pm

I recently gave my brother Olly's Unpopular Franchise Character and he upgraded it with archival materials and museum glass. He works for an art installer and they have framing materials and equipment at their shop. Most of these were cut from black paper which is super susceptible to UV fading it is important to get them under museum glass before displaying.

When he took the piece apart it looked like the backing was haphazardly cut. It is kind of strange because the doily looked like it was custom laser cut, which I am sure took a lot of time. The frame that was used was not the best and there were tiny glass shards all over the paper. Also the whole thing was still sticky from the spray adhesive used to mount the pieces together.

After cleaning it up a bit and removing all the glass he installed spacers, acid-free backing and anti-glare museum glass. The difference is immediately noticeable. With the spacers and high quality glass the layers really pop. :pint:
jayper
Art Expert

Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:20 pm

Nice work! A huge improvement.
novascotiapower
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:23 pm

That's the best Jar Jar has ever looked! Nice work!
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:22 pm

Can't salvage your dignity though. :D
tlaz
Art Expert

Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:46 pm

HA! That is my brother's problem now!!
bulkhead72 wrote:Can't salvage your dignity though. :D
bulkhead72
Art Expert

Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:11 pm

Well played.
ruh3
Art Connoisseur

Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:35 am

tlaz wrote:I recently gave my brother Olly's Unpopular Franchise Character and he upgraded it with archival materials and museum glass. He works for an art installer and they have framing materials and equipment at their shop. Most of these were cut from black paper which is super susceptible to UV fading it is important to get them under museum glass before displaying.

When he took the piece apart it looked like the backing was haphazardly cut. It is kind of strange because the doily looked like it was custom laser cut, which I am sure took a lot of time. The frame that was used was not the best and there were tiny glass shards all over the paper. Also the whole thing was still sticky from the spray adhesive used to mount the pieces together.

After cleaning it up a bit and removing all the glass he installed spacers, acid-free backing and anti-glare museum glass. The difference is immediately noticeable. With the spacers and high quality glass the layers really pop. :pint:
Just curious is the white paper laser cut with jar jar or is the black paper laser cut and then glued on the white paper? Can't tell from the pics. Always wondered the intricacies of the paper cuts.
fitz
Art Expert

Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:09 am

ruh3 wrote:
tlaz wrote:I recently gave my brother Olly's Unpopular Franchise Character and he upgraded it with archival materials and museum glass. He works for an art installer and they have framing materials and equipment at their shop. Most of these were cut from black paper which is super susceptible to UV fading it is important to get them under museum glass before displaying.

Just curious is the white paper laser cut with jar jar or is the black paper laser cut and then glued on the white paper? Can't tell from the pics. Always wondered the intricacies of the paper cuts.
not sure about that one but mine are the black paper cut and stuck on white paper
tlaz
Art Expert

Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:42 pm

ruh3 wrote:

The background, doily and jar jar are all separate pieces glued on top of eachother.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:02 pm

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!
rubberneck
Art God

Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:47 pm

The term 'polishing a turd' comes to mind...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
1nkling
Site Admin

Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:04 pm

rubberneck wrote:The term 'polishing a turd' comes to mind...
You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter?
My up to date trades and ISOs.
rubberneck
Art God

Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:05 pm

1nkling wrote:
rubberneck wrote:The term 'polishing a turd' comes to mind...
You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter?
Except if it's a gorillas...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:25 pm

So it goes...
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:48 pm

mfaith wrote:Image
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!