Framed stuff

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
morecoffee
Art Expert

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:17 pm

Wow, you can buy a sample package from American Frame? That would be a huge help. Thanks for that tip. I'm going to order that. I had to re-order the top matte I chose for my Bee handbill because of a poorly matched color. I chose something too blue. The handbill's sky is a greenish color.

I want the Radiohead to work the 1st time around. I really like American Frame because it's cool putting everything together. I just need to figure out how to seal the backs properly to lock out dust. The handbills are fun, but I'll have my posters done professionally. Any mistakes I'd make would cost a lot more.

I appreciate the input and help here. Thank you.
walterfredo
Art Expert

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:19 pm

morecoffee wrote: I had to re-order the top matte I chose for my Bee handbill because of a poorly matched color. I chose something too blue. The handbill's sky is a greenish color.
I have found that blues are by far the most difficult colors to match when you're looking at a monitor, I've made a few bad choices with blues myself.
_benjammin
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:24 pm

AF only sells the one basic set of mat samples but you can get 5 samples of most if not all the other mats with purchase.

morecoffee, don't be scared to use AF for your posters too.
_benjammin
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:25 pm

Another AF tip/trick. You get a free mat with any frame. Well if you want to frame something without a mat you can still get the free mat uncut.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:38 pm

bashba wrote:Another AF tip/trick. You get a free mat with any frame. Well if you want to frame something without a mat you can still get the free mat uncut.
I may be wrong, but I don't think those mats they give you for free are acid free.
mbrennan
Art Expert

Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:44 pm

they are now - they didn't used to be

I think they did away with all their non acid free mats
_benjammin
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:01 pm

mbrennan wrote:they are now - they didn't used to be

I think they did away with all their non acid free mats
Yep.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:00 pm

The free mats that are listed are not claimed to be 100% acid free and are recommended for general framing and NOT conservation framing.
_benjammin
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:50 pm

stuckeyc wrote:The free mats that are listed are not claimed to be 100% acid free and are recommended for general framing and NOT conservation framing.
Ok, acid free back and core only. I'm not worried about my great-great-great grandkids getting this stuff in the same condition as I look at it here today.
jojobadass
Art God

Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:57 pm

that yellowcard looks really nice......great work!!
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com
bysleightofhand
Art Expert

Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:21 pm

appreciate the props for the yellowcard guys. I couldn't think of a mat that I wanted so I just went with a nifty frame.

Definitely with every order from American frames I order 5 sample mats. I got a decent collection of the blues :lol: You can even ask for 5 free mats without any order. Once ya use those 5 up, ya gotta order something to get more.
And for those I can't get, i use this page as a guide
http://www.crescentcardboard.com/select/select2.html

Those are pretty spot on for the crescent select series, which I use heavily on American Frames :D
ttocs
Art Enthusiast

Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:58 pm

Another option would be to look online at the local distributers of Bainbridge and Crescent mats. Call one of the distributers and ask for literature. Both mfg's product guides have all the color options printed and small swatches of the suede mat's so you can tell the different textures.
Not as good as an actual sample, but a lot less hassle then getting 5 every time you order from AF.
Most distributors dont care that you arent a frame shop, they just want to sell stuff. If they do, make up a story. The place I buy from has free delivery on orders over $100. Between a few mat's, some foam core, and wood moulding its pretty easy to hit and you arent paying retail prices for any of it. But thats if you can cut your own mats. Im sure most places offer a chop service for the moulding if you cant cut your own.
jenga
Art Expert

Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:22 pm

morecoffee wrote: I just need to figure out how to seal the backs properly to lock out dust. The handbills are fun, but I'll have my posters done professionally. Any mistakes I'd make would cost a lot more.

I appreciate the input and help here. Thank you.
You need to buy some decent backing tape.. go for a 2" tape (from a framing supplier) in the UK the tape i use is called Tessa tape and is top quality but not too expensive. A big roll of it costs me about $7 or $8 but will last for ages. When applying it go halfway between the rebate and run it along the length from one end to the other. Use a scalpel to make a small nick at each end where the rebate steps up so it sits evenly. Maybe if i get time i'll make take some pictures when i frame something next and wiki it.
mistersmith
Art Freak

Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:29 pm

ttocs wrote:Another option would be to look online at the local distributers of Bainbridge and Crescent mats.
Lots of art supply stores have a wide selection in their framing departments - I know Pearl's in San Francisco has most of the Select and Berkshire lines available, right out there for you to put your hands on and check with your own two eyes.
_benjammin
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:47 pm

mistersmith wrote:
ttocs wrote:Another option would be to look online at the local distributers of Bainbridge and Crescent mats.
Lots of art supply stores have a wide selection in their framing departments - I know Pearl's in San Francisco has most of the Select and Berkshire lines available, right out there for you to put your hands on and check with your own eye.

:shock:

I don't want to have to bring my prints in to a store to look at mats.