Original art on back of framed poster

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
coho
Art Enthusiast

Wed May 25, 2022 4:51 pm

I bought a framed poster from an artist at a show at the artist's gallery years ago. When I went to pick up the piece, the frame was damaged. The gallery was very helpful with the repairs, no worries. When I picked up the repaired piece I was pleasantly surprised to see that the artist had drawn an awesome 12"x12" image on the craft paper backing of the frame in the theme of the band on the poster. Fantastic. I have had the piece on my wall for years and love it, but I rarely see the art on the back. The frame is nice, but a simple black frame and mat the gallery used for the show. The drawing is on what appears to be basic craft paper commonly used to back frames. I am wondering what is the best here and have considered:

1- Doing nothing and enjoying it as is. Would I be crazy to mess with its originality?
2 - Removing the craft paper backing with the drawing and framing it separately and leaving the rest as is.
3 - Replacing the frame entirely and either putting the craft paper and drawing back on the frame or framing separately.
4 - Or????????

Thoughts?

Thank you
fdi1001
Art Connoisseur

Wed May 25, 2022 4:55 pm

Kraft paper is not archival at all and it will fade. You can pull it off and frame it, but even in a frame with 99% UV glazing it may not last long if exposed to a lot of direct sunlight. I would just take a photograph of it and then print and frame that photo.
Frame Destination, Inc.
Picture Framing Blog
Facebook
LinkedIn
fredo
Art God

Wed May 25, 2022 6:32 pm

Then post the picture here.
just a foil for me today, thanks