snapezo versus spotlight frames

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
bd43274

Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:42 am

Let me start by saying I'm a complete noob here of course. I've been collecting alternative movie posters for all of 3 months. But in order to lose my "noob" status, I need to make some posts that may or may not be worth the time it takes to read them, right?

So what can I contribute with such a small amount of experience? Though I've only been in this hobby for 3 months, I have collected theatrical one sheets for much longer. So maybe there's something that they have in common I can talk about. What did I come up with? Framing! Who's not excited about a good frame?!?

My experience with up to now has been 100% Snapezo for my one sheets, and Michael's custom for anything with "real" value (don't worry, no dry mounting or any of that nonsense.) To be clear, Snapezo frames aren't what I'd consider bad, but we'll get to that in a moment. The point of this post is really to speak to the difference in quality between these two brands. And let me tell you...the difference in quality is immense.

For anyone wanting to know before they purchase either, let me save you the trouble. The Snapezo frame itself is ok. It's fine. It does the job and it's front loading, meaning you can swap posters out whenever the desire to hits you. The overlays, however, are anything but fine. In fact, they're God awful. I never actually realized any of this until I tried Spotlight frames.

A ton of the people here rave about them, but none (that I chatted with at least) were really familiar with Snapezo. Were they any good? Were they comparable? Nobody was really sure. I can tell you now with 100% certainty, they are not. Spotlight frames are worlds better than Snapezo, and the difference in price is really only a few dollars ultimately. What you get for that difference is not only a more substantial and stronger frame (much more rigid and well built), but the importance of the overlays cannot be overstated. What I didn't realize before was that all of my prints I've been collecting over these 3 months (and all of my one sheets before this) were all quite dull and unimpressive compared to what Spotlight's overlays show. They allow the artwork to shine, laying flat against the artwork as to allow all of the details from the print to shine. The original test order I had made with Spotlight quickly turned into not only frames for all of my art prints, but replacement overlays for all of my one sheets as well (replacing that many 27x40 frames entirely was a bit much financially when I'm busy hunting down my next grail piece!)

In any case, hopefully this helps someone who may have had the same question as me. Please do yourself a favor and get a decent frame for these beautiful prints. And if you happen to be choosing between these two brands, there's simply no comparison. Spotlight frames are awesome!

TL;DR

Snapezo frames seem good unless you know better. Spotlight frames are significantly better in every way!
KSUvet
Art Expert

Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:01 am

Thanks for the post! I was literally just trying to compare these again yesterday as I've never purchased either. From what I can find the Snapezo have PVC overlay while Spotlight uses PETG. I think the latter costs a little more in addition to better archival qualities.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
bd43274

Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:59 am

Yep, you're right. I was trying to shorten it just a bit so I didn't include those details but I should have. The archival qualities are better on Spotlight as well. Also...use the coupon code "mondotrader" for 10% off. I recently made a fairly big purchase with him and the price difference between them and a like for like cart with Snapezo was less than $20 dollars.