First time framing basics thread

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
Sailorgoon
New User

Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:43 pm

Hey all,

Fairly new to this forum and collecting in general and couldn’t find a place to ask some basic questions because it’s been overwhelming :?

Ideally, I wanna preserve the MONDO BTAS prints I just got with matting, a border to keep it off the glass, uv glass ect. I’m in NYC and would love to cut costs doing it myself as well. Anyone got supply recommendations and ways to make this process easier? Incredibly thankful in advance and happy to be apart of such a knowledgeable community.
fdi1001
Art Connoisseur

Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:27 pm

As the owner I am biased, but you get info at my place here:
https://www.framedestination.com/picture-frame-info
We have products here:
https://www.framedestination.com/

Details about different types of mat board and glazing along with abilty to order just the components are under "Framing Supplies" . Some pre-configured complete frames are under "Picture Frames". You can click "customize this frame" on all these products and it will take you into our "Custom Frames" section with everything already filled out so you can just change size or color and be done.

Cheers, Mark
Frame Destination, Inc.
Picture Framing Blog
Facebook
LinkedIn
zeuscarver
Art Connoisseur

Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:03 pm

Sailorgoon wrote:
Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:43 pm
Hey all,

Fairly new to this forum and collecting in general and couldn’t find a place to ask some basic questions because it’s been overwhelming :?

Ideally, I wanna preserve the MONDO BTAS prints I just got with matting, a border to keep it off the glass, uv glass ect. I’m in NYC and would love to cut costs doing it myself as well. Anyone got supply recommendations and ways to make this process easier? Incredibly thankful in advance and happy to be apart of such a knowledgeable community.
Here's a link to a thread on floating a print-- which doesn't typically use a mat. either way, some of the methods and info in this convo are useful for hinging, being careful, etc. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=62429
FramedAtKnight
New User

Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:15 pm

to do it all yourself you'd need the following supplies list

Miter saw
band clamp
wood glue
v nailer (i use a woodtech, don't need an underpinner but they are nice)
frame sealing tape
mat cutter
acid free foam board
acid free mats
xtra blades
point driver
kraft paper
photo corners

get your UV glass cut to size from a local frame shop.

and lots of practice. don't be afraid to try new things and good luck!
J2SQUAREDESIGNS
Art Enthusiast

Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:17 pm

I recently got my first wood piece Bodega Bay Durieux my question is how to frame or display it so it will not get damaged? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
fdi1001
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:33 am

J2SQUAREDESIGNS wrote:
I recently got my first wood piece Bodega Bay Durieux my question is how to frame or display it so it will not get damaged? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

A few things
1. Use glass or acrylic to protect the image from pollutants in the air and prying fingers. Even non UV glass will also singificantly reduce UV radiation.
2. Never leave it in direct sunlight. If it will be in a room with significant sunlight then get glass or acrylic with UV filter, but even with the UV filter do not put it in direct sun light.
3. Do not let the glass or acrylic touch the print. Use a mat or spacers.
4. Use an acid free mat made of cotton (a rag mat) or alpha cellulose. The mat will also provide a border between the edge of the print and frame which can be useful if you use a wood frame (wood is acidic).
5. Use an acid free backing board. (Never use cardboard).

More info on our website:
Frame Destination, Inc.
Picture Framing Blog
Facebook
LinkedIn
jml1150
New User

Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:51 pm

fdi1001 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:33 am
J2SQUAREDESIGNS wrote:

A few things
1. Use glass or acrylic to protect the image from pollutants in the air and prying fingers. Even non UV glass will also singificantly reduce UV radiation.
2. Never leave it in direct sunlight. If it will be in a room with significant sunlight then get glass or acrylic with UV filter, but even with the UV filter do not put it in direct sun light.
3. Do not let the glass or acrylic touch the print. Use a mat or spacers.
4. Use an acid free mat made of cotton (a rag mat) or alpha cellulose. The mat will also provide a border between the edge of the print and frame which can be useful if you use a wood frame (wood is acidic).
5. Use an acid free backing board. (Never use cardboard).

More info on our website:

This is great advice.

So wait. Is it possible that "fading" when you see a border that looks darker than the rest of the print / paper really isn't fading at all, but damage from the acid in the wood?

Also, your site is fantastic. Your info section has been super helpful. I have an order queued up ready to go as soon as my paycheck gets here in a couple of hours :)
peacedog
Art Expert

Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:24 pm

jml1150 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:51 pm

This is great advice.

So wait. Is it possible that "fading" when you see a border that looks darker than the rest of the print / paper really isn't fading at all, but damage from the acid in the wood?

It could be from a variety of causes. Light, heat, and moisture are your biggest factors effecting how the materials used interact with the print. Acid leeching can cause discoloration, some paper bleaches while others brown.