Magnets for framing

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
nottyplay1
Art Connoisseur

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:13 pm

Has anyone on here tried framing with rare earth magnets?
any input with this experience please share.
HR3
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:05 am

nottyplay1 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:13 pm
Has anyone on here tried framing with rare earth magnets?
any input with this experience please share.
I’m no framing expert, but I would think that it would destroy ur art.

I built some sick ornate headrails for my blinds out of wood, they were heavy, I struggled to find a way to attach them without them falling. I found neodium I BELIVE it’s called, which is the rare earth metal magnet they generally refer to. I put 3 on a 6 foot window and wow soo powerful!. The wood is like 10 pounds on that length as I used crown molding to build them. These 3 magnets are only the size of a quarter. Oh, and they’re soo powerful and hard to pull apart, I pulled one apart and lost my grip about 6 inches away, it shot back to the stack of the others and fukkkking exploded. I shitt u not!

So if the question is If u wanna hang a poster in a frame and attach the magnets to the frame. It will hold to metal, steel anyway for sure. If the question is to use them to hold the pic down, not if u care about if it not getting f’ed up.

I do use some smaller ones to hang my kids beautiful artwork in my man cave. It leaves intentions. On the other hand, if u never plan to resell or care about it indenting ur work and just it not moving. Oh, hell yeah, the paper will turn to dust before it lets go, and then, well, it still won’t let go, I lied about the let go part... my bad, I had a politician moment.

Answer ur question?
Until you can welcome, accept and enjoy folks who’s views, looks, thoughts, struggles & values are polar opposites to yours, then you have NOT lived.
nottyplay1
Art Connoisseur

Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:32 pm

sort of..i do appreciate your input. thank you!
JBFrame
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:29 pm

I have used magnets for holding jackets, jerseys, and memorabilia in shadow boxes but I never have used them for holding paper art. I have seen it done but didn't like the looks so I never attempted it. You have to use the magnet on the front of the item you are holding and on the back side of the mounting board. The magnets have to be extremely strong to be able to hold the item being mounted through the mounting board. Unfortunately the magnet is visible unless you find some way to cover it. With clothing I just put the magnet inside. k