Framing Help/Advice Thread

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
User avatar
fanboy
Art Expert
Posts: 1810
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:30 pm
Location: Minnesnowta

Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:12 pm

Where can a guy find 27 x 41 frames these days? Michael's discontinued them I guess. :( I'd rather not pay $100 from American Frame and don't dig the slide in type.
ironjaiden wrote:I'm a whore so I'll draw whatever you want for a warm meal and a dirty hand job. Every artist is different.
User avatar
misterwhisper
Art Expert
Posts: 2166
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 2:56 am

Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:33 pm

fanboy wrote:Where can a guy find 27 x 41 frames these days? Michael's discontinued them I guess. :( I'd rather not pay $100 from American Frame and don't dig the slide in type.

You might be SOL. 27x41 hasn't been a standard size since the studios downsized one-sheets to 27x40 in the 80s, so you probably need to go the custom route. Movie poster specialists like wholesaleposterframes stock 27x41, but the mouldings are limited and by the time you get around to replacing their thin "lenses" with real glazing, you might as well order from AF or FD.
User avatar
simianfever
Art Expert
Posts: 2225
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:50 am
Location: CT

Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:19 am

http://www.hollywoodposterframes.com is where I get my 27x41 frames. A few more options than wholesaleposterframes and the quality of lens is 100x better.

I'd like to support wholesale as they are within 20 minutes of me but that flimsy plastic they hype is fudge. Particularly the Non glare which dulls the image more than other non glare options.
User avatar
fanboy
Art Expert
Posts: 1810
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:30 pm
Location: Minnesnowta

Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks for the info everyone, I will check out those options.
ironjaiden wrote:I'm a whore so I'll draw whatever you want for a warm meal and a dirty hand job. Every artist is different.
Poeschel55

Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:26 pm

has anyone ever bought from CraigFrames.com? thoughts?

there acrylic/glass is inexpensive compared to what i have found around here. any one know if there is a UV/non-glare option? there used to be a mopnth or so ago, but now i cant seem to find it
Megatherium
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:04 am

Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:11 pm

For my first frame job I was thinking of ordering from Frame Destination. It's going to be Tong's Metropolis which has art all the way to the edge. I wanted to use Lineco edge mounting strip as they seem the easiest to work with and the least likely to lead to me damaging the print. If I order a mat that only overlaps the print by 1/8 in, can I trim the mounting strips down enough to hide behind this 1/8 inch border?
User avatar
shredkeenan
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Houston, TX

Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:45 pm

Megatherium wrote:For my first frame job I was thinking of ordering from Frame Destination. It's going to be Tong's Metropolis which has art all the way to the edge. I wanted to use Lineco edge mounting strip as they seem the easiest to work with and the least likely to lead to me damaging the print. If I order a mat that only overlaps the print by 1/8 in, can I trim the mounting strips down enough to hide behind this 1/8 inch border?
Yes, you can cut them down. I have used them successfully with a 1/8" overlap.
Megatherium
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:04 am

Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:10 pm

Thank you!
Poeschel55

Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:32 pm

Cheapest place to buy UV/non-glare...anyone?

22x28 through 24x36 in size
User avatar
beerotan
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:38 pm

Poeschel55 wrote:Cheapest place to buy UV/non-glare...anyone?

22x28 through 24x36 in size
Glass or plexi? I've been buying all my museum glass from Hobby Lobby these days, you can use their 40% off coupons on it. I've taken a stealth photo of the price sheet if anyone wants to see it. No guarantees it's still accurate, took it 3-4 months ago.
User avatar
mcgraw23
Art Expert
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:52 pm
Location: ATX

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:48 pm

beerotan wrote:
Poeschel55 wrote:Cheapest place to buy UV/non-glare...anyone?

22x28 through 24x36 in size
Glass or plexi? I've been buying all my museum glass from Hobby Lobby these days, you can use their 40% off coupons on it. I've taken a stealth photo of the price sheet if anyone wants to see it. No guarantees it's still accurate, took it 3-4 months ago.
Image
40% coupon is applicable to the above prices.
A Lannister always pays his debts.
User avatar
beerotan
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:53 pm

mcgraw23 wrote:
beerotan wrote:
Poeschel55 wrote:Cheapest place to buy UV/non-glare...anyone?

22x28 through 24x36 in size
Glass or plexi? I've been buying all my museum glass from Hobby Lobby these days, you can use their 40% off coupons on it. I've taken a stealth photo of the price sheet if anyone wants to see it. No guarantees it's still accurate, took it 3-4 months ago.
Image
40% coupon is applicable to the above prices.
Huh, weird. My Hobby Lobby is strangely protective of their glass prices and only have it recorded on a sheet the staff use. I've asked to look at it before and they got all indignant with me. On another visit the person left it out while cutting my glass so I snapped a picture. I figured they must all be like that.
User avatar
mcgraw23
Art Expert
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:52 pm
Location: ATX

Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:55 pm

I've got a pretty good relationship with the gal that works at this particular HL since I'm in there 1-2 a week to get a piece of glass cut or pick up a mat and use the coup so she had no problem with me taking the picture for reference. :pint:
A Lannister always pays his debts.
User avatar
mcgraw23
Art Expert
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:52 pm
Location: ATX

Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:19 pm

Looking for some advice on mat choices for a print.. I found a sweet frame at Goodwill so I gutted the art and want to re-frame one of my favorite prints but I don't really know where to start with matting. Part of me is thinking just a white mat but I'd kick myself if I didn't consider double/triple mat options.. Any suggestions??

P.S. The frame was $5 :D

Image
A Lannister always pays his debts.
User avatar
jamesgunter
Art Expert
Posts: 5236
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Birmingham, Al
Contact:

Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:40 pm

Poeschel55 wrote:Cheapest place to buy UV/non-glare...anyone?

22x28 through 24x36 in size
just my opinion but, UV non glare is fudge! go with the reg. UV
Post Reply