Framing Help/Advice Thread

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:38 am

anyone have an examples of a frame job with multiple images that are double matted? i'm playing with an idea of doing a square frame, with four prints (2x2) in it and a double mat. but i am wondering if it would look strange if the top mat were to be a simple square around all four images and the second mat would then have four cutouts, one for each print.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:42 am

halftonegraphics wrote:anyone have an examples of a frame job with multiple images that are double matted? i'm playing with an idea of doing a square frame, with four prints (2x2) in it and a double mat. but i am wondering if it would look strange if the top mat were to be a simple square around all four images and the second mat would then have four cutouts, one for each print.
I'm actually playing around with doing a grid piece for the Moss "Minute Walts" but I think I'm going to go with the double mat with individual cutouts for each Walt. I don't think I've ever seen one that is like what you're describing.. is this kind of what you mean? Please excuse my poor paint shop skills :D
A Lannister always pays his debts.
brewsky
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:35 am

halftonegraphics wrote:anyone have an examples of a frame job with multiple images that are double matted?
I did this for a friend.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:56 am

more of a reminder than a tip.. be careful when handling the edges of glass 8)
2013-12-10 22.03.39.jpg
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:07 am

mcgraw23 wrote:
halftonegraphics wrote:anyone have an examples of a frame job with multiple images that are double matted? i'm playing with an idea of doing a square frame, with four prints (2x2) in it and a double mat. but i am wondering if it would look strange if the top mat were to be a simple square around all four images and the second mat would then have four cutouts, one for each print.
I'm actually playing around with doing a grid piece for the Moss "Minute Walts" but I think I'm going to go with the double mat with individual cutouts for each Walt. I don't think I've ever seen one that is like what you're describing.. is this kind of what you mean? Please excuse my poor paint shop skills :D
Yep, that's the idea.

It would be a double black mat with spacers. Just unsure of how it might look.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
simonldt
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:49 am

I've got what may seem like a silly question but I'm honestly not too sure on it. Basically, so far I've only framed 2-3 prints and each has a conservation acid-free white matt. However, in the framing threads and all over the forum I see loads of artwork in absolutely killer frame-ups with all kinds of cool coloured matts. I assume those are using just normal matt board? (acid free but not conservation level?). When I search for matt/mount board in the UK, only the white/cream colours are conservation/museum graded, anything darker coloured is marked as standard level.

Also, how do you double matt a piece? Could you use a top layer that is standard (dark coloured) and then a 2nd level which is conservation level (which touches the print)? When I'm looking for quotes online when selecting a double matte, they seem to only offer you the choice of either standard or conservation, you can't mix n match the different types of board.

Finally, how the hell do you do something like this? http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 8#p2370828

Is that some kind of plastic edging on the matt?
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:26 am

Conservation mats come in a variety of colors. For the most part though, they seem to mainly be available in browns, tans, white and blacks.

As for double mats, if you are worried about archival, go with all acid free. You could essentially get away with a non-acid free mat on the top. With all my double mats, they are all acid free. Soem have spacers in between, some are in contact with each other.

The plastic edging you are asking about is known as a fillet.

1xRun Referral
simonldt
Art Connoisseur

Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:10 pm

Thanks. Think I will try that when I double matt for the first time. :)
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:26 pm

Anyone have a recommendation for some basic 12x24" black frames (preferably wood)?
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:22 pm

cmatthews11 wrote:Anyone have a recommendation for some basic 12x24" black frames (preferably wood)?
Hobby Lobby has some decent ones you can get 50% off every other week. You'll have to put in your own glass/backing/spacers, etc. but they're pretty good looking ones for <$20
A Lannister always pays his debts.
cmatthews11
Art Expert

Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:33 pm

mcgraw23 wrote:
cmatthews11 wrote:Anyone have a recommendation for some basic 12x24" black frames (preferably wood)?
Hobby Lobby has some decent ones you can get 50% off every other week. You'll have to put in your own glass/backing/spacers, etc. but they're pretty good looking ones for <$20
Thanks for the heads up - I rarely head over there. Will check them out over the Holidays.
FramerDave
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:06 am

misterwhisper wrote:I'm curious about this too. You could check with this guy out here in LA -- I've never used him and frankly, his website isn't very forthcoming about prices and quantities which is never a good sign, but it might be worth an email:

http://www.franksfabrics.com/custom.asp

Frank sells only to framers.
FramerDave
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:11 am

beerotan wrote:This is a little off topic for this forum, but as its where I've learned the entirety of my framing knowledge so far I'm not sure where else to ask: does anyone have some resources for framing textiles? I have a furoshiki (silk scarf-like textile, about 2' x 2') I want to put in a frame, but am unsure how to properly secure it to the mounting board. I can only come up with sewing it to another piece of fabric and then adhering that to the mouting board, but I'm concerned that would damage it. Anyone have any ideas or places they can point me to?
PPFA Guidelines for Framing Textiles and Needlework: http://www.pmai.org/online/core/orders/ ... rodid=1070

Written in part by yours truly.
Dfa
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:40 am

Aaron Brothers 1 cent sale starts on Dec 26th, which is a nice time to stock up on basics.
Ilja
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:44 am

peacedog wrote:
CrustaR wrote:Anyone know where I can buy a wood grain fillet like this one?
There is no fillet in that piece. I think you're referring to the hand-wrapped striated silk mat. We wrapped that one.

:cheers:
Peacedog I'm a big fan of your work !
Can you reveal a little about how you make your textile wrapped mats ? I assume that they are handmade.. but have :P

Can you use any kind of fabric, or is there something that works better than the other ?
How do you ensure that it is museum standard or acid-free ?
Have do you get the textile to stick to the mat ?
Have does the mat look on the back ?
Are you using any special tools ?
And is it correct assumed that you are using a piece of textile that can cover the entire mat and picture area and then cuts out the middle, and cut it up in the corners where it needs to be bent ?

Cheers
-Ilja