Framing Help/Advice Thread

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
kidcloudkiker
New User

Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:40 am

golobulus wrote:
kidcloudkiker wrote:I have a question about framing a 27x40 movie poster. I just want to frame this in a basic black wood frame without a top/window mat. Do I need to worry about keeping this off the acrylic? If I use spacers is it ok for the spacers to touch the poster on the edges? Lastly, how should I hinge this to the back mat board.

My concern is that since its such a large print on very lightweight flimsy movie poster paper, that if it isn't mounted correctly it will sag or become wavy.

Any tips would be appreciated.

For reference the poster is the 2004 Oscars promo poster by Burton Morris. Not really worth anything buts its signed and personalized to my wife. I just want it to look nice and remain that way.
You may be interested in the movie poster frames from spotlightdisplays:

http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/

I don't have any direct experience with them but other members of EB seem to be very happy with them. There was a thread about these at some point...

I think this will work perfectly for what I'm looking for! Placed an order.

Thanks!
golobulus
Art Expert

Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:29 pm

I hope it works out... please upload a picture of your framed poster when you receive the frame :clap:
Tiger47
Art Enthusiast

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:12 pm

I order most of my frames over Framedestination and DIY it but I have a 50x50 poster I'm looking to frame and not sure how to go about it. The biggest issue right now is backing- the largest piece of acid-free backing board I can find for sale online is 96x48... anyone know where I could find backing boards that fit my needs? Do I need to have this done professionally?
Gigantico
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:32 am

Howdy folks, who do people use for DIY these days? I see Framedestination and spotlight above and know american frame. Any others?
Snufalufegus
New User

Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:28 pm

Just fished up this custom built and painted frame. Looking for some advice on mat color/colors. I was thinking black for the top mat with a matching orange for the bottom with a smaller reveal...maybe 1/8" to a 1/4". What do you guys think?

Jedimagic
New User

Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:56 pm

Hello there guys,I have a few questions hopefully you can give advice with.
I just had 3 framed Tyler Stout prints sent to a local framers to have u.v glass installed and when i got them home i noticed that the prints seem to be flush to the glass with no space between.I have done some research online and most of the information i can find says this is something that should never happen with an expensive print as alittle space should be kept between print and glass.Kind of worried about this.I asked the framer today about this and he said it would not matter because of the u.v. layer on the glass?.
Is this correct or should i go back and ask him to redo the job.Apparently you should use a spacer to prevent it touching?.All the other prints i have ever had framed always had a small gap.
Hope you guys can advise on this.

Regards

p.s.

second time lucky with this post i managed to delete it first time when editing
jpicken
Art Connoisseur

Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:28 pm

I have never used a spacer with UV Plexiglas, but it doesn't hurt.

Photos and prints framed with glass can be a concern because of moisture or condensation. This can happen in areas of high humidity, like bathrooms, but it can happen anywhere in your house due to temperature changes throughout the year.
When I use Museum Glass for a frame, there is always a spacer or a mat.

Keep in mind that even though you chose UV glass, you never want to display your print in direct sunlight. Even the best UV glass still allows transmission of some UV light. Over time, the impact would be noticeable.

Good luck.
ImageX5
Jedimagic
New User

Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:32 pm

Thanks so much for the reply jpicken.So u had your prints flush to the glass?.Have read in a few top framers guides that this should never be done.Not found any evidence of u.v. Glass making this unnecessary though which is my main worry.

Regards
KSUvet
Art Expert

Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:19 pm

It's been a long time since I've framed something. My understanding is that Hobby Lobby got rid of their coupon, so what is the best way to get a deal on glass these days?
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi