Framing Help/Advice Thread

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
Nos
Art Enthusiast

Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:59 am

Does American Frame still have the preview function? I could have sworn you could see how the art would look with different frames but can't find it again for the life of me.
ImageImageImage
mppang
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:38 am

Nos wrote:Does American Frame still have the preview function? I could have sworn you could see how the art would look with different frames but can't find it again for the life of me.
You have to go to any frame moulding and click on Buy This Frame. The next page will ask what kind of measurements you want for the framing and it'll ask if you want to preview your image. This is when you can upload a JPG!
Nos
Art Enthusiast

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:41 am

mppang wrote:
Nos wrote:Does American Frame still have the preview function? I could have sworn you could see how the art would look with different frames but can't find it again for the life of me.
You have to go to any frame moulding and click on Buy This Frame. The next page will ask what kind of measurements you want for the framing and it'll ask if you want to preview your image. This is when you can upload a JPG!
Thank you!
ImageImageImage
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:59 am

I'm thinking of changing up the way I mount my prints to the backboard. I'm currently using the Lineco Archival mounting strips when mounting with a mat but I want to try out the mounting corners instead since I'm building some frames to fit the prints without mats. I noticed they come in a variety of sizes so was hoping for some guidance for ones that work well with 24x36 prints.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/linec ... 17306-1240

Can anyone with some experience with these weigh in please?
A Lannister always pays his debts.
shredkeenan
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:24 pm

mcgraw23 wrote:I'm thinking of changing up the way I mount my prints to the backboard. I'm currently using the Lineco Archival mounting strips when mounting with a mat but I want to try out the mounting corners instead since I'm building some frames to fit the prints without mats. I noticed they come in a variety of sizes so was hoping for some guidance for ones that work well with 24x36 prints.

If you're not matting the print, why do you feel the need to attach the print to the backer board? Just stick it in there, it can't go anywhere. Unless your frame has a really wide rabbet, those corners are going to be visible.
Sithlord32
Art Expert

Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:57 pm

shredkeenan wrote:
mcgraw23 wrote:I'm thinking of changing up the way I mount my prints to the backboard. I'm currently using the Lineco Archival mounting strips when mounting with a mat but I want to try out the mounting corners instead since I'm building some frames to fit the prints without mats. I noticed they come in a variety of sizes so was hoping for some guidance for ones that work well with 24x36 prints.

If you're not matting the print, why do you feel the need to attach the print to the backer board? Just stick it in there, it can't go anywhere. Unless your frame has a really wide rabbet, those corners are going to be visible.
Yes. If you are not going to mat them then you just need spacers or float it.
You can eat from a golden spoon but the cornflakes will taste the same

THC x 5
mcgraw23
Art Expert

Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:58 am

I use spacers if I'm not using a mat but was initially just curious about it. Thanks for the input, folks.
A Lannister always pays his debts.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:26 pm

I have used most of those pictured for various reasons and they are good to use. I like "floating" some prints with these because it gives them an old time photo album look.
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
golobulus
Art Expert

Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:06 pm

golobulus wrote:Hey framers, I'm wondering how to frame oil paintings on canvas or board? I'm assuming matting is not an option but I'm not sure. Do you just use the shadow-box approach? Mount the painting and leave the glass proud of the painting? Any suggestions or options are oh so appreciated!
Anyone have any tips? :pint:
shredkeenan
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:13 am

golobulus wrote:
golobulus wrote:Hey framers, I'm wondering how to frame oil paintings on canvas or board? I'm assuming matting is not an option but I'm not sure. Do you just use the shadow-box approach? Mount the painting and leave the glass proud of the painting? Any suggestions or options are oh so appreciated!
It would be unusual to put it behind glass. Just get an open backed frame and pop the painting in there, use offset z clips to secure it.
peacedog
Art Expert

Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:52 pm

golobulus wrote:
Mats aren't an option but fabric wrapped liners are. Liners are made of wood and won't warp with exposure. You need to be a bit more careful with cleaning them as you could rub dirt into the fabric, we usually recommend having a can of Dust-Off or the like to blow the dust off.

Most people don't use glass on paintings, but it's not unheard of since glass offers protection from the elements (in our house he's four). Oil paintings are more typically left open as the paint will continue to cure over time. This is largely dependent on the age and thickness of the paint. Heavy body oil paints can take some time to properly cure. Once dried they should be treated with an appropriate varnish coat to liven the color palette and seal the painting from potential contaminants. Acrylics are essentially plastic when they're dry and very durable, varnish is really only used to give a consistent sheen.
golobulus
Art Expert

Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:25 pm

Thanks! My interest in putting the painting behind glass is just to avoid dust. Unfortunately AZ is a dusty place and I'm not too keen on dragging a dusting rag across an OG :D Sounds like a shadow-box type frame up may be the best option.
ColonelCash
Art Expert

Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:24 am

I'm looking for a decent frame for an 18x24 print. Does anyone have examples from American Frame? Looking for a white mat, black frame, UV glass. Nothing special. Went to a shop in Nashville and those posterkillers wanted $438+tax for it. Told them to sit and spin.
shredkeenan
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:23 am

ColonelCash wrote:I'm looking for a decent frame for an 18x24 print. Does anyone have examples from American Frame? Looking for a white mat, black frame, UV glass. Nothing special. Went to a shop in Nashville and those posterkillers wanted $438+tax for it. Told them to sit and spin.
For a standard size like that and a "nothing fancy" black frame, your cheapest option is probably going to be buying a pre-made 22x28 black frame from Aaron Brothers (with 50% off coupon of course), trashing the glass and backing that comes with it, and then buying UV glass, foamcore and a mat from Hobby Lobby. You can use 40% off coupons on the glass at Hobby Lobby. I don't recommend the pre-made frames from Michaels or Hobby Lobby - the Aaron Brothers ones are much better quality.

When you order the mat, you'll want 22x28 with 17.5x23.5 window opening, which means you have 2.25" of mat all the way around and 1/4" overlap onto the print (this may warrant adjustment depending on the print).

American Frame wouldn't cost much more, but you're going to pay more for the frame (because it's still "custom"), and a little less for the mat. You'll have to get the glass locally anyway as AF will only ship acrylic.

If you're curious about any of AF's offerings, you can order samples of any of their frames and mats. They used to send you 5 free before your first order.

If you go my suggested route, it will cost you under $75.
ColonelCash
Art Expert

Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:14 pm

shredkeenan wrote:
ColonelCash wrote:I'm looking for a decent frame for an 18x24 print. Does anyone have examples from American Frame? Looking for a white mat, black frame, UV glass. Nothing special. Went to a shop in Nashville and those posterkillers wanted $438+tax for it. Told them to sit and spin.
For a standard size like that and a "nothing fancy" black frame, your cheapest option is probably going to be buying a pre-made 22x28 black frame from Aaron Brothers (with 50% off coupon of course), trashing the glass and backing that comes with it, and then buying UV glass, foamcore and a mat from Hobby Lobby. You can use 40% off coupons on the glass at Hobby Lobby. I don't recommend the pre-made frames from Michaels or Hobby Lobby - the Aaron Brothers ones are much better quality.

When you order the mat, you'll want 22x28 with 17.5x23.5 window opening, which means you have 2.25" of mat all the way around and 1/4" overlap onto the print (this may warrant adjustment depending on the print).

American Frame wouldn't cost much more, but you're going to pay more for the frame (because it's still "custom"), and a little less for the mat. You'll have to get the glass locally anyway as AF will only ship acrylic.

If you're curious about any of AF's offerings, you can order samples of any of their frames and mats. They used to send you 5 free before your first order.

If you go my suggested route, it will cost you under $75.
Many thanks and much appreciated.