Framing Help/Advice Thread

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
FramerDave
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:51 am

peacedog wrote:
FlammableD wrote:Despite Dave's strong MDF objections, it should be ok with the separate board?
No.

No.
FlammableD
Art Enthusiast

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:22 pm

FramerDave wrote:
peacedog wrote:
FlammableD wrote:Despite Dave's strong MDF objections, it should be ok with the separate board?
No.

No.
Ah. In which case I'm back to square 1.
simonldt
Art Connoisseur

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:34 pm

Isn't that why there is usually a conservation 'barrier' board behind the artwork?
golobulus
Art Expert

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:45 pm

simonldt wrote:Isn't that why there is usually a conservation 'barrier' board behind the artwork?
I'm curious about this too. Other than being "cheap/lower quality," what other downsides do MDF frames have?
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:30 pm

golobulus wrote:
simonldt wrote:Isn't that why there is usually a conservation 'barrier' board behind the artwork?
I'm curious about this too. Other than being "cheap/lower quality," what other downsides do MDF frames have?

I think the problem is with the MDF barrier board, not the frame. I assume this is the type of backing that comes with premade frames like at Michael's and Aaron Bros, with the cheap hangers/loops riveted to the back. If so, why use this at all, even with a separate board barrier (which won't work as a buffer btw; I think it was FramerDave who said in another thread that matboards are porous and eventually the bad stuff will leach through)? Not only are the the MDF boards acidic, but they also weigh a ton and unnecessarily add a lot of weight to your frames, and the mounted hangers that are stapled/riveted on are crap. Acid free foamcore is only about $4-6 and is light as a feather, there's no reason not to use that instead.
JBFrame
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:05 am

I won't allow it in my shop. I totally agree with Framer Dave and his statement that it shouldn't be anywhere near art. If you need other reasons not to use it look up MDF on Wikipedia - there are some scary materials used to manufacture MDF and it could be a possible health risk. I think that if you read the Wikipedia you will no longer wish to have MDF around. Just a thought.
FlammableD
Art Enthusiast

Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:37 am

In which case, what other options do I have?
churdiales
Art Expert

Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:43 am

FlammableD wrote:In which case, what other options do I have?
misterwhisper wrote: ... Acid free foamcore is only about $4-6 and is light as a feather, there's no reason not to use that instead.
krisjay wrote:I find this post odd.
FlammableD
Art Enthusiast

Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:02 am

churdiales wrote:
misterwhisper wrote: ... Acid free foamcore is only about $4-6 and is light as a feather, there's no reason not to use that instead.
Oops, missed that. So that would be as a straight replacement for the MDF backboard?
Sithlord32
Art Expert

Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:28 am

FlammableD wrote:
churdiales wrote:
Oops, missed that. So that would be as a straight replacement for the MDF backboard?
Yes
ImageImageImage..."one spoon might feel a little nicer, but the cornflakes will taste the same"...Beckett.
FlammableD
Art Enthusiast

Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:45 am

Sithlord32 wrote:
FlammableD wrote:
churdiales wrote:
Yes
Cool. Thanks all.
JBFrame
Art Connoisseur

Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:57 am

If you want something that is sturdier than foam core board look at Gator Board or MightyCore Board. Both ARE NOT acid free so a barrier will be necessary to use between the backing and the art but both boards are super sturdy and work nicely if you need something stronger than regular foam core. You can use a piece of rag paper/artist paper or a rag mat as a barrier. I always have supply of both boards around in 3/16, 1/4, & 1/2 inch sizes for when it is necessary to have a strong backing.
xjmjx
Art Expert

Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:15 pm

Hey guys, just wondering about any ideas about framing a small letterpress print. What do I need to know about the backing and matting it? Thanks!
leary411
Art Expert

Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:21 pm

I think I like these....should I ?
T.K.C.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:36 pm

So, besides so really simple at-home frame jobs (for inexpensive gigposters) I haven't really framed anything yet, let alone professionally, but am tired of having a stack of great stuff and not having it on the wall, so I've got a list of things I want to get framed over the next six months or so as funds allow.

So, that being said, I'm completely new to this. Anyone have any framing ideas for:

There is no border whatsoever, which I think means I have to float it if I don't want to cut the image off (which I don't) - and because of the "space/cosmos" theme I'm almost certainly going with some sort of black frame - and probably some sort of gold, either in the frame or the mat, to bring out the earpiece & tubes. But I have no idea after that (and am open to other ideas as well). I'm sure I'll end up with a better idea once I go chat with the framer next week, but I'd like some ideas - if possible - before I go in. Thanks.