Framing Help/Advice Thread

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
FramerDave
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:44 am

Ok, in the top one you have a red border around the image, then tan, then the white of the paper. Then in the matting you have red, then tan and then black. That's a whole lotta stripes going on there. As much as I like multiple mats you need to do something there. Maybe lose one of the mats or at least leave a generous amount of white showing and use wide mats.

And guys, stop being so afraid of wide mats. Make them 3" at least.
Deadareus
Art Expert

Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:52 pm

FramerDave wrote:Ok, in the top one you have a red border around the image, then tan, then the white of the paper. Then in the matting you have red, then tan and then black. That's a whole lotta stripes going on there. As much as I like multiple mats you need to do something there. Maybe lose one of the mats or at least leave a generous amount of white showing and use wide mats.

And guys, stop being so afraid of wide mats. Make them 3" at least.
Thanks for the tips Dave. Really appreciate it.

Initially I was only thinking black and gold... But once I saw all 3 together I really liked it. The photos I took were pretty quick... I'm not sure how much more white is available on the poster... But not very much I suspect.

One other item of note... There doesn't seem to be a visible white core on the gold which I like. I'm wondering if the same can be done on the black or red, or if they can be cut in such a way (reverse cut) that the white core wouldn't be visible. Or would that just look weird?
FramerDave
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:42 pm

Yeah, it's possible to pretty much any mat with a reverse bevel when you don't want to see one. Personally I don't do it very often but that's purely a matter of personal taste, nothing more.
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:27 am

i would agree. if you stick to 3 mats, at least vary the amount that shows. i did my Tilt set with three mats and think i used something like 3/8 for one and 5/8 for the other. need to make one a little more prominent than the other.

general idea would be the middle mat being the thinnest.
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
Deadareus
Art Expert

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:08 pm

halftonegraphics wrote:i would agree. if you stick to 3 mats, at least vary the amount that shows. i did my Tilt set with three mats and think i used something like 3/8 for one and 5/8 for the other. need to make one a little more prominent than the other.

general idea would be the middle mat being the thinnest.
Thanks again for suggestions guys. Copied the photos to this page.

As of right now I think I am going with the same sizing as the BR poster, but with the colors pictured in my preview image. I may try and get the white core removed from the black mat. Going to drop it off at the framers tomorrow. Wish me luck. Busting my custom framing cherry here. Pretty stoked about the whole thing.

^SurfingJeff's sick BR frame up[/quote]
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:26 pm

I would say wide black core black mat, then the red reverse bevel (or red core if you can find it) then a thin (1/8th or 1/4th) black core black mat to frame it. Then do the same with the light blue on the other. Or if you want them to match use the gold as the middle mat since that is in all 3 prints.

Edit: reverse that. use the gold and silver for the different prints or red to match them...
I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump
tankpig
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:13 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a noob to framing and collecting prints in whole so please bare with me haha.

Took my Pittides T2 to be framed at a local framing store here in the UK recently and asked about the borders or matte borders are they referred to? and she said that the print would have to be somehow stuck to the border for it to be aligned within the frame?

Obviously didn't want anything stuck to my print for obvious reasons so went against it and I also see people have the borders sort of in-stepping to the print so that the glass does not touch the surface...any reason for this?

All help appreciated as I've just secured a Proctor Texas chainsaw massacre that I'd like in a nice frame which I know is safe and sounds...it's currently in a cheapy £13/99 frame as I don't have a flat file or any materials to do so.

Again, all help appreciated thanks in advance guys :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JBFrame
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:49 am

tankpig wrote:Hi guys,

I'm a noob to framing and collecting prints in whole so please bare with me haha.

Took my Pittides T2 to be framed at a local framing store here in the UK recently and asked about the borders or matte borders are they referred to? and she said that the print would have to be somehow stuck to the border for it to be aligned within the frame?

Obviously didn't want anything stuck to my print for obvious reasons so went against it and I also see people have the borders sort of in-stepping to the print so that the glass does not touch the surface...any reason for this?

All help appreciated as I've just secured a Proctor Texas chainsaw massacre that I'd like in a nice frame which I know is safe and sounds...it's currently in a cheapy £13/99 frame as I don't have a flat file or any materials to do so.

Again, all help appreciated thanks in advance guys :)
I really don't know what she means when she said that the print would have to be somehow stuck to the border for it to be aligned with the frame!?! The print can be supported onto the backing board with print Mylar corners (the framer can purchase those at "Lions" a framing supply business in the UK) or paper troughs, Mylar strips, and other non-evasive ways. Most adhesives should never touch the print so you are right to not allow the framer to stick the poster to the border. Some framers, and this is an acceptable conservation practice, will attach the print by the use of Mulberry paper and either Wheat or Rice paste, maybe that was what she was talking about?

The mat is used as a separation between the glass (glazing) and the print. You should never allow the glass to lay flat on the print because over time the print get attach itself to the glass and is impossible to remove without destroying the art. About the "in-stepping". I believe what you are seeing is multiple mats. 2 or 3 mats stacked on top of each other showing a small reveal, or in other words 2 or 3 mats where each are cut a little smaller than the other from top to bottom with the bottom being the largest mat and is on the print. Generally multiple mats are installed for looks because 1 mat will generally be enough separation of the glass and print.

I this helps a little. Joe
tankpig
Art Connoisseur

Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:47 pm

Thanks a lot Joe! :)
tankpig
Art Connoisseur

Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:12 pm

Hi again guys getting my pittides terminator 2 framed and wanted to get some opinions on some mounts or as known in the US "Matte's or mat's"? :D

See pics below which one goes best?

another pic of this one...

I think the last one works best? ...let me know what you think guys.
beerotan
Art Enthusiast

Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:25 am

I think I like the first one the best, three mats seems like a bit of overkill to me.
Dominic
Art Enthusiast

Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:23 pm

How would you guys frame this one ?

EriaThomas
Art Enthusiast

Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:02 pm

That is a lot of red, so it's kind of hard. I'd probably go with a gray and black double mat, trying to get the grays as close as possible. or spacers in a black frame.
JBFrame
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:51 pm

Dominic wrote:How would you guys frame this one ?

How about a thin 1/4" silver inner mat and a 2" glossy black outer mat all surrounded with a silver frame?
tankpig
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:17 am

Hi guys if you see this post on another thread try not to lynch me but I'm just looking for a quick opinion!

Right, I'm getting my proctor Texas chainsaw massacre - Image

...framed and I've found a guy in the UK that makes sort of rustic beat up looking frames out of recycled timber.
Here's a quick example of the materials being used:

That finish is darker than what I'm after so he's agreed to do a medium finish on it and also I requested the possibility of adding real rusty barbed wire and nails throughout the frame which he has happily agreed to doing for me and also he mentioned he could add saw marks to make it look like a chainsaw has grazed it!

Now here's the question...do I bother getting mats or will it be too much for a frame like this? The mats I was thinking of getting would be about 1 inch white with 1/10" yellow underneath.

Would you guys bother or just leave the mats?

Thanks! and sorry for rambling!