Framing Help/Advice Thread

Share your pictures of framed art and discuss framing.
jcbudny
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 19, 2014 8:07 pm

JBFrame wrote:There are hundreds of books out there - I suggest going to a library and seeing what they have. I suggest checking out books by Vivian Kistler. She was pretty spot on with here teaching though not all is up to date. Vivian also has some CDs out and a couple of Videos. If all else fails just try You Tube. There are tons of examples of do it yourself picture framing there - just don't trust all of the suggestions because lots of them can ruin you art...just a thought.
Thank you for your thoughts on this. My fear is learning the wrong way rather than the right way from the get go. You are right, there are literally hundreds of how-to videos on the web on framing. There is just a lot of variance in methodology. I was hoping an EB member out there had some thoughts on, "hey read this or watch that, it's the way to do things." It would likely save me a headache or two down the road.

Has anyone read the DIY Framing book from American Frame? Curious if it's just advertising on their part or worth the $10 in actual framing knowledge.
THC x 3
JBFrame
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 20, 2014 2:29 am

jcbudny wrote:Has anyone read the DIY Framing book from American Frame? Curious if it's just advertising on their part or worth the $10 in actual framing knowledge.
Check out the first of Vivian Kistler's books "Picture Framing, Vol. 1 (Library of Professional Picture Framing) by Vivian C. Kistler" you will get safe information from her books - she was 1 of the top in the framing business. You can purchase it on Amazon, buying it used is just fine. If you are satisfied with that book try a few others of hers. There are a few others authors that have decent books but if I were just getting started I would get the Kistler's Vol.1 first to get going. I do not know anything about the book from American Frame, sorry I can't help you there. Hope this helps.
dhokes
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 20, 2014 5:06 am

Similarly, I would also be interested in any recommended youtube videos that show how to go about framing the right way.
jcbudny
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 20, 2014 9:38 am

JBFrame wrote:
jcbudny wrote:Has anyone read the DIY Framing book from American Frame? Curious if it's just advertising on their part or worth the $10 in actual framing knowledge.
Check out the first of Vivian Kistler's books "Picture Framing, Vol. 1 (Library of Professional Picture Framing) by Vivian C. Kistler" you will get safe information from her books - she was 1 of the top in the framing business. You can purchase it on Amazon, buying it used is just fine. If you are satisfied with that book try a few others of hers. There are a few others authors that have decent books but if I were just getting started I would get the Kistler's Vol.1 first to get going. I do not know anything about the book from American Frame, sorry I can't help you there. Hope this helps.
Thanks for chiming in Joe.

Appreciate it!
THC x 3
FramerDave
Art Connoisseur

Tue May 20, 2014 12:21 pm

dhokes wrote:Similarly, I would also be interested in any recommended youtube videos that show how to go about framing the right way.
Sorry, but there really aren't any. Well ok, maybe that's a bit harsh but there is so much crap advice there that it would be really hard to point you to anything decent.

I would recommend the PPFA Guidelines for Framing Works of Art on Paper but it's geared to the professional framer and might be much more technical than you're looking for. So go with Vivian's books. Although they haven't been updated in a while but they contain good, solid fundamental information. Man, I miss her.
combatwaffle

Mon May 26, 2014 11:46 am

I just bought my first print and I was hoping that someone could give me some advice on how to frame it. It already came pre-matted however the mat is tan with a rattan texture (according to the artist), and I don't know what kind of frame would go well with it. You can see a picture of the print here:

I took it to an art supply store hoping I could get an idea, but they only had one frame in the right size which was black and didn't seem like it went well with the print. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
dhokes
Art Connoisseur

Mon May 26, 2014 12:13 pm

A blue that matches the mat board?
EriaThomas
Art Enthusiast

Mon May 26, 2014 12:15 pm

dhokes wrote:A blue that matches the mat board?
I second this. It'd help bring out the blue in the print.
Sithlord32
Art Expert

Mon May 26, 2014 1:03 pm

Opinions differ. IMO there is enough blue with the character himself and the matting. Black like you said wont look right as its too dark. I would go with something in wood. Either something that goes well with the rattan in a natural wood color or grain or something off white.
You can eat from a golden spoon but the cornflakes will taste the same

THC x 5
combatwaffle

Mon May 26, 2014 1:24 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I had the same thought that Sithlord did, that there would be too much blue. However, I found a frame on Amazon and (crappily) mocked something up and I kind of like how it looks. Obviously this could look completely different in real life but I think it looks pretty decent.

I also thought a wood frame might be nice but I don't even know where to start with that...I only just found out what rattan was after looking up what texture the mat was, so I have no idea what would complement that.
misterwhisper
Art Expert

Mon May 26, 2014 2:19 pm

Bamboo frames go well with rattan mats. This one's at American Frame, just order it (or something like it from another ) in the size you need, add UV plexi to your order (or buy UV glass from a local framer) throw it together and seal up the back.

Bamboo frames at AF:
http://www.americanframe.com/frames/bla ... n3024.aspx
http://www.americanframe.com/frames/cr% ... n3022.aspx

Bamboo frames at PictureFrames:
http://www.pictureframes.com/search/fra ... rch=bamboo

Sithlord32
Art Expert

Mon May 26, 2014 3:36 pm

misterwhisper wrote:Bamboo frames go well with rattan mats. This one's at American Frame, just order it (or something like it from another ) in the size you need, add UV plexi to your order (or buy UV glass from a local framer) throw it together and seal up the back.

Bamboo frames at AF:
http://www.americanframe.com/frames/bla ... n3024.aspx
http://www.americanframe.com/frames/cr% ... n3022.aspx

Bamboo frames at PictureFrames:
http://www.pictureframes.com/search/fra ... rch=bamboo

Yeah thats a solid choice. They also have it in a more natural bamboo color.

THC x 5
KSUvet
Art Expert

Mon May 26, 2014 11:02 pm

Maybe other people already knew this, but I discovered that Lowe's has some 35" by 140 ft rolls of kraft paper in the painting dept. It's a much better value than the stuff I picked up from Hobby Lobby. Also, I'll be able to re-do some of my larger frames where the 30" width wasn't quite enough. I don't know what the official thickness of the Lowe's roll is, but it seems fairly substantial. It seems plenty good enough for backing or shipping.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
Sithlord32
Art Expert

Fri May 30, 2014 6:07 pm

KSUvet wrote:Maybe other people already knew this, but I discovered that Lowe's has some 35" by 140 ft rolls of kraft paper in the painting dept. It's a much better value than the stuff I picked up from Hobby Lobby. Also, I'll be able to re-do some of my larger frames where the 30" width wasn't quite enough. I don't know what the official thickness of the Lowe's roll is, but it seems fairly substantial. It seems plenty good enough for backing or shipping.
8)

THC x 5
Deadareus
Art Expert

Sat May 31, 2014 11:49 am

After 3 trips.... Finally found a local framer that I am going to work with. The most expensive/classiest place I went to discouraged me from using conservation glass because the posters are being hung in my basement. Ok...C-Ya!

Found a small Mom & Pop shop that I am going to work with. Contemplating the following set up for my SW set.

I contemplated just going with 2 mats (Black w/ Gold (New Hope) & Silver (Empire/Jedi), but once in the shop I really liked the look of the triple mat with the red and blue added.

Thoughts? I'm going back in monday to drop off the first of the 3.

The only big question I have is how large to make the top mat. I'm not a fan of having the top mat too large. Peacedog's stuff is obviously incredible and I would love to emulate some of his mat sizes.

I'm going to try and copy this as best as possible.... Just not completely sure how large that top mat is. 2 inches maybe?

^SurfingJeff's sick BR frame up