Flat file refurbishing project

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
rubberneck
Art God

Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:58 pm

iambillyg wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:
iambillyg wrote: Image

So far, I've sanded/stained two drawers. Sanded one additional drawer and have two more to go. Once they're all sanded/stained, another round of sanding and additional stain then I should be good.
Mmmmm....flatfile refurbishment POV pics!!! 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=515-EfhXne0

"rara charta, gravi negotio"
Fattyramone
Art Expert

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Hard core ...

Tell me you'll never let another man spead his varnish over you baby.....

Hmmmm , creosote.......
iambillyg
Art Freak

Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:39 pm

summoner wrote:You did wipe the stain off once you put it on right? Or is this one of those stain/poly mixes?
Stain/Poly mix.
summoner
Art Freak

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:12 am

iambillyg wrote:
summoner wrote:You did wipe the stain off once you put it on right? Or is this one of those stain/poly mixes?
Stain/Poly mix.
Gotcha, that is going to look dark and awesome!
Image Image Image
keefdotorg
Art Expert

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:16 am

Man, you guys already started? Dang. I won't be able to work on mine for a little while.
iambillyg
Art Freak

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:23 am

keefdotorg wrote:Man, you guys already started? Dang. I won't be able to work on mine for a little while.
I got a good start on Sunday, but this coming weekend is my birthday weekend, so no work will be done. Maybe on Sunday again, who knows? Also have a base/top being designed/built. :D

Still have a ton of work to do, though. Sand two more drawers. Stain those, plus one more. Sand/stain the base, box and top. Then sand it all again and stain it one more time.
summoner
Art Freak

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:29 am

iambillyg wrote:
keefdotorg wrote:Man, you guys already started? Dang. I won't be able to work on mine for a little while.
I got a good start on Sunday, but this coming weekend is my birthday weekend, so no work will be done. Maybe on Sunday again, who knows? Also have a base/top being designed/built. :D

Still have a ton of work to do, though. Sand two more drawers. Stain those, plus one more. Sand/stain the base, box and top. Then sand it all again and stain it one more time.
Little tip, that you may or may not already know, Steel Wool is really great for sanding in between coats using the Stain/Poly mix. I have used both 600+ grit sandpaper and steel wool, and found steel wool to work best. It doesnt take too much off, and just knocks down the high spots and smooths it out.
Image Image Image
iambillyg
Art Freak

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:31 am

summoner wrote:
iambillyg wrote:

Little tip, that you may or may not already know, Steel Wool is really great for sanding in between coats using the Stain/Poly mix. I have used both 600+ grit sandpaper and steel wool, and found steel wool to work best. It doesnt take too much off, and just knocks down the high spots and smooths it out.
Appreciate the tip. When I was doing some very minor research, I read to sand the wood using like, 120 grit. Then 220, then stain. After the first coat, to sand again with 220, then final coat. Based on what you're saying, though, that sounds a bit incorrect.
summoner
Art Freak

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:37 am

iambillyg wrote:
summoner wrote:
iambillyg wrote:

Appreciate the tip. When I was doing some very minor research, I read to sand the wood using like, 120 grit. Then 220, then stain. After the first coat, to sand again with 220, then final coat. Based on what you're saying, though, that sounds a bit incorrect.
You can us sand paper, it has been used for year and years, but I have just had really good success with steel wool. What I like most is that it doesnt take much away, and smooths the surface, leaving just enough of a bite for the next coat behind. I have never used it on a gloss, or high gloss, finish but makes a satin finish look amazing.
Image Image Image
appletree
Art Expert

Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:41 am

I use steel wool as well when sanding between stains. When I made my vinyl storage center I had a ton of sanding to do. Wear some gloves, sometimes steel wool can be a little prickly. Best of luck, looks amazing so far...uber jealous.
<3 + Image = T.H.C.

:::Johnathon Powers Photography:::
Sail wrote:it was all just a misunderstandingtree.
mattg
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:48 pm

I am in the same boat as Billy. I got started and had to stop because I have a Spanish final on Thursday. I will pick back up again on Sunday night
dmb8506
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:05 am

interested to see a larger pic of the side of the flat file... I just picked up a very nice oak flat file that will be in the living room of my new condo, and I would love to stain it a darker color.

I've only used Minwax stains before, definitely would like some help with the stain youre using...
iambillyg
Art Freak

Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:53 pm

Once I'm done, I'll photoshop a before / after for you.

Day 2 starts tomorrow.
finalfilppula
Art Expert

Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:43 pm

iambillyg wrote:
Got the same shoes as you :P
iambillyg
Art Freak

Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:05 pm

Good taste.

Day 2 delayed on account of rain.