Acid-free, Archival tape....

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
AckAlex
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:32 am

I'm new to the world of framing so bare with me, please. I was exploring on the net the other day and I came accross this tape. It's acid-free and archival, my question is, can this be put directly on the back of the print, mounting it to the matte board? Or is this tape intended for another application?
Never squeel on the pusha, don't lie to yo momma, just do as you wanna, it'll be ok
dougr
Site Admin

Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:12 am

"archival tape" is a misnomer - even without acid, the gum will leave marks on a print. some tapes claim to be "reversible" - i.e. they can be removed without leaving a residue, or the residue can be removed with a damp cloth. nevertheless, you're better off avoiding all tapes, and using mylar strips/corners or Japanese hinges to mount your print (even without gum, Japanese hinges can leave a print in less-than-mint condition). i do use linen tape to hinge the front mat to the backing mat, but it doesn't touch the print.
AckAlex
Art Connoisseur

Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:26 pm

Where is the best place online to get these mylar strips and/or corners?
Never squeel on the pusha, don't lie to yo momma, just do as you wanna, it'll be ok
AckAlex
Art Connoisseur

Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:27 pm

Thank you, I was wondering if anybody was gonna answer that question :lol:
110thStreet
Art Connoisseur

Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:09 pm

I've found the best source of information and products to be a local independent framing shop.

Getting to know these guys has help immensely and been a great source of cheap products - bags of cast-off and unused mattes/wood frames for literally peanuts :)

Great with advise too even though they know it means I do more stuff myself and less work for them.

The shop I use works very closely with the local artistic community to promote exhibitions and have a real love of their jobs and a genuine interest in the silk-screens I bring them (when I need a professional job)...especially Drowning Creek stuff 8)
thegig
Art Expert

Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:09 pm

These things are great. When I frame most of my stuff, I use these (sometmes have to trim 'em w/ an xacto knife) and a jimmy-rigged acid free brace for the sides (acid free buffer paper over the poster, paper taped down w/ acid free tape). It's not exactly museum quality, but I'm pretty damn sure it'll do the trick.

I've also discovered I'm very good at stretching canvas...tight as a drum, beeyotch.
AckAlex
Art Connoisseur

Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:38 pm

Thanks for the input, very helpful :lol: