Poster Mountain Appreciation Thread

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
postermount
Art Enthusiast

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:02 am

Standard movie posters are very different from contemporary silkscreens. I have many, many years of experience with typical posters, but still have so much yet to learn about these silkscreens.
To answer your question, YES, in theory this method could be applied to most, folded 27 x 41 movie posters, however because of their size and structure they would remain very fragile after the process and would be prone to damage caused by routine handling. From a conservatorial standpoint these are best when mounted to some sort of substrate such as a linenbacking or a paper-backing, whereas the silkscreen posters are typically printed on much thicker paper which is less likely to sustain this type of damage when handled and stored properly.
DrScott44
Art Expert

Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:56 am

postermount wrote:Yeah... w can fix that.. That's a whole different thing than the Mummy silk screen, but for sure, we can fix that! :D

Check out this great article about us on Collider.com.. Many thanks to Scott Wampler!!

http://collider.com/john-davis-poster-m ... ew/174409/
Damn, forgot all about posting this here! Good looking out, man.

John tells me the reaction to this article was really strong. If you're new to the Poster Mountain phenomenon...definitely give this thing a read: it'll tell ya all ya need to know (especially if you've got a damaged print that needs a tune-up).

Many thanks to John for taking the time to answer these questions and for helping add to the badass library of content we're building under the Limited Paper banner!
"I say we stomp 'im. Then we tattoo 'im. Then we hang 'im...and then we kill 'im!"

"I say we let 'im go."

"NO!!!"
halftonegraphics
Art Freak

Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:41 pm

Hey John

Does your process also work on stenciled prints?

Receive a print this week from an artist that Customs gorilla gripped. Still waiting to hear back from the artist. Figured I'd have to drop at least $30 to ship it back to France. Wanted to see if there might be an option for recovering it.

Paper is creased, visible on both sides, with cracked paper fibers.
P1140398.JPG
P1140399.JPG
I broke something today, and I realized I should break something once a week.. - Warhol

1xRun Referral
postermount
Art Enthusiast

Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:02 am

Does your process also work on stenciled prints?

Most likely, I can fix this without too much trouble, but as with anything, 'll need to see it in person and run some tests on it first.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:00 am

Hey, do you think you could get your hands on this stack for some . . . uh . . . research? :P
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 3#p1504793
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
dearmrecho
Art Expert

Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:50 am

KSUvet wrote:Hey, do you think you could get your hands on this stack for some . . . uh . . . research? :P
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 3#p1504793
:lol:

That is a particularly sad sight.
postermount
Art Enthusiast

Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:23 am

I've actually tried to contact Mondo about those because I actually can use them for data gathering and research (not for restoration), but I haven't heard back from them yet.
fanboy
Art Expert

Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:49 pm

This thread was a great read. I've now contacted PM about fixing some of my prints that I've had in shitty WalMart frames. :oops:
ironjaiden wrote:I'm a whore so I'll draw whatever you want for a warm meal and a dirty hand job. Every artist is different.
KSUvet
Art Expert

Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:04 pm

postermount wrote:I've actually tried to contact Mondo about those because I actually can use them for data gathering and research (not for restoration), but I haven't heard back from them yet.
I was joking, obviously, but that's interesting. I'd think you'd have to send them back later or somehow document the destruction. They'll probably use most of them for future volumes of the scrap book, so that may be another reason they'd want to hold on to them. I'd say the book would be a good way to get different samples if it was more affordable.
"I see dudes using cotton gloves on prints that I know were printed while someone was drinking a beer or eating Cheetos, while water leaked from the ceiling. And I'm not even talking about my shop!" - alexfugazi
Kramerica
Art Freak

Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:24 am

Poster Mountain is the newest sponsor of Inside the Rock Poster Frame, they posted an entry about it and even included some pics of billyg's Mummy. Nice to see more exposure.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
mycrospazm
Art Expert

Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:34 pm

I just shipped off a Stout IB that was not looking so pretty...can't wait to see the magic in person! Of course, I don't mind waiting as long as I need to...I'm sure there are quite a few pieces ahead of mine.
Evolution
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:02 pm

Just pulled out my Moss SW Trilogy for framing and noticed that Empire has a visible crease in the black area on the right side. Thinking about sending off to PM if it still bugs me after it's in the frame. What would it run to get a single mild crease fixed?

Also, is there anything in the PM bag of tricks that can magically 'fix' scuff marks without actually touching up a print? Noticed the Empire also has visible chub rub and some uneven black which apparently I never noticed even though they were there on day 1 (checked the pics I took when they arrived). Not sure how I overlooked them initially. Also, the crease wasn't there on day 1... and it's been stored between SW and Jedi, which are both crease-free. So... :?
sasquatch
Art Expert

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:05 pm

Evolution wrote:Just pulled out my Moss SW Trilogy for framing and noticed that Empire has a visible crease in the black area on the right side. Thinking about sending off to PM if it still bugs me after it's in the frame. What would it run to get a single mild crease fixed?

Also, is there anything in the PM bag of tricks that can magically 'fix' scuff marks without actually touching up a print? Noticed the Empire also has visible chub rub and some uneven black which apparently I never noticed even though they were there on day 1 (checked the pics I took when they arrived). Not sure how I overlooked them initially. Also, the crease wasn't there on day 1... and it's been stored between SW and Jedi, which are both crease-free. So... :?
Slightly wet cloth will get scuff marks out.
Last edited by sasquatch on Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evolution
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:12 pm

sasquatch wrote:
Evolution wrote:Just pulled out my Moss SW Trilogy for framing and noticed that Empire has a visible crease in the black area on the right side. Thinking about sending off to PM if it still bugs me after it's in the frame. What would it run to get a single mild crease fixed?

Slightly wet cloth with get scuff marks out.
Sounds sensible enough, but not sure I'm brave enough to put anything even slightly wet on that print. :lol: Think I'll hold off for now and see what it looks like inside the frame (though I imagine with museum glass it's pretty much going to look exactly like it does outside the frame).
thisisjosh
Art Expert

Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:10 pm

Sending off a print tomorrow for some minor work on a creased and split corner for a majorly loved print. Fingers crossed that PMmagic happens on it :clap: