how to frame something with no matte

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
tj
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:37 am

lets say we're working with the fairey chuckD print (which we are). what i want to do is go no matte (b/c i feel it will look better with no matte AND a matte would cover up the signatures anyway) and get a really basic wood black frame from american frame. i pretty much pressure mounted my black grist karma print (horkey) and it stuck to the glass, which totally blew. soooo, i'm looking to NOT do that again.

so, i looked through the posts and i think i need something a little more in-depth than just "mylar strips" or "hinge the print" mainly b/c i'm retarded when it comes to this stuff. I usually frame this stuff prof. but i've got about 10 things i need to frame, so i'm going to start doing them myself. or at least attempting to, starting with this.

also, where do you buy these mylar strips or whatever?

sick. thanks for the help.
redbear
Art Expert

Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:49 am

Econospace keeps the poster off the glass when you aren't using mat. You can google for it. Here is among the cheapest I've found.

http://framingsupplies.com/FrameTek/Eco ... ageOne.htm
dr_skoobie
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:02 pm

I would just try googling "lineco mylar corners" or the like and see what comes up.

I bought mine at an art store, but you will find a cheaper price online.
bysleightofhand
Art Expert

Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:47 pm

You'll want to hinge it or place acid free mounting corners (neither technique should harm the poster) and place spacers to keep the glass or plexi off the print.
My question is, I'm thinking bout framing something without a matte as well, but I'm wondering if I should go for 1/8 spacers or 1/4. If my frame can fit it, should I just go 1/4? I don't know if more space is better. Figured I ask some guru's here. The frame has a rabbet depth of 1/2 inch. Thanks for the help!
bysleightofhand
Art Expert

Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:56 pm

bump

with a rabbet depht of 1/2 and inch, should i go with a 1/8th or 1/4th an inch spacers? Is bigger better? In the frame will be the print and plexi (neither or which will add much to the depth) and a foam board.
redbear
Art Expert

Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:38 pm

No real answer for you. However, I just framed by first poster with no frame. I used the 1/4 inch spacers, and I found that the depth gave a slight shadowbox effect. It wasn't what I was expecting, but I'm happy with it.
mcnail
Art Expert

Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:50 am

Wait, so your Black Series stuck to the glass? Like, got damaged? How long was it in there? I've had prints in frames for years and that has never happened.
bysleightofhand
Art Expert

Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:45 pm

redbear wrote:No real answer for you. However, I just framed by first poster with no frame. I used the 1/4 inch spacers, and I found that the depth gave a slight shadowbox effect. It wasn't what I was expecting, but I'm happy with it.
think i'll stick to 1/8 then. I could pass on a shadow effect. Thanks for the help.
tj
Art Expert

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:32 am

hey guys, thanks so much for all the help. of course, if there are other suggestions, i'd love to hear them.

mcnail -- yeah, it's not as bad as it sounds. not completely tragic. i was foolish and had it kind of in sunlight a lot b/c it looked neat with the metallic inks. it wasn't the whole set. i only have the karma print. in the bottom left corner, some of the black ink kind of stuck to the glass and came off a little bit. you actually can't tell on the print where it came off, but it freaked me out to see it stuck to the glass. i could tell b/c it was darker black in that corner.

-TJ