Jerry's Artarama: Picturesque Presentation Portfolio - 24x36

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
User avatar
veltri
Art Expert
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:04 pm

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:44 am

If you can get someone to help you, that makes it easier. You can watch that one side doesn't hit the edge while the other person watches the other side, and they can hold down the page while you feed it in.
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
Image
User avatar
bigmuls
Art Expert
Posts: 1959
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:01 pm
Location: DC USA

Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:54 am

kryptonite wrote: Thanks, bud. How would I go about flattening this? I understand I need to use weights to hold the corners down - but for how long? From my understanding, the print should be perfectly flat before inserting into the sleeve?
I use two methods for flattening, but it really depends on how much space you have. If you have table space to lay the prints flat, you can just put weights such as books or bean bags on each corner and let them sit for a week or so depending on how long they were tubed. Make sure to put craft paper or some sort of separator between each print.

The other method I picked up from somebody on here (can't remember who, but if you search around you can find the thread): You buy two pieces of large foam core board from an art shop and put your prints in between them. Hold the boards together with clips and let it sit out of the way for as long as you need for them to flatten.
alison03
Art Expert
Posts: 1699
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:19 pm

Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:59 am

I got the foam boards at my local Blick's for like $3 each and acid free tissue paper (semi-unnecessary) for around $5 and clips at $1 each. It's a perfect setup for me - cheap and easy.
User avatar
phips
Art Expert
Posts: 2923
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:35 pm
Location: California

Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:03 am

I'm thinking of picking this up as well..
I've been reading through some of the threads on here in regards to this folio and this
particular size. But I have a few questions. I apologize if theyve been answered before
(If I saw it answered I didnt ask it again) and appear novice:

1. Does anyone know of any current discount codes for Jerrys?

2. I know it is dimensionally possible to put a smaller print (say, 18x24) in a 24x36 sleeve but do people recommend that?
Or should I put my 24x36 prints in the 24x36 sleeves and buy other sleeves that fit my smaller prints more snuggly?
It seems like the opinions on here about this are split...


Sorry for the novice questions. I appreciate the feedback.
User avatar
theperfecttree
EB Team
Posts: 10682
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:04 am
Location: Austin, TX

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:46 pm

phips wrote:I'm thinking of picking this up as well..
I've been reading through some of the threads on here in regards to this folio and this
particular size. But I have a few questions. I apologize if theyve been answered before
(If I saw it answered I didnt ask it again) and appear novice:

1. Does anyone know of any current discount codes for Jerrys?

2. I know it is dimensionally possible to put a smaller print (say, 18x24) in a 24x36 sleeve but do people recommend that?
Or should I put my 24x36 prints in the 24x36 sleeves and buy other sleeves that fit my smaller prints more snuggly?
It seems like the opinions on here about this are split...


Sorry for the novice questions. I appreciate the feedback.
Current discount is only 10% off $99+ (code: DAVINCI560) which is pretty low actually. Typically it's 15-20% and occasionally 25% off $150+. As for Question 2 I'll let someone with more experience with these answer that one :)
User avatar
fCon
Art Expert
Posts: 1312
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:13 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany

Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:28 pm

phips wrote:2. I know it is dimensionally possible to put a smaller print (say, 18x24) in a 24x36 sleeve but do people recommend that?
Or should I put my 24x36 prints in the 24x36 sleeves and buy other sleeves that fit my smaller prints more snuggly?
It seems like the opinions on here about this are split...
Since the Picturesque is pretty expensive and does not hold a lot of pages (25-30 is reasonable in my experience), I'd be very picky what to put in it. I recommend getting an Itoya 18x24 ArtProfolio Evolution (24 pages) for everything that is 18x24 or smaller. The Itoya is cheap ($30-35 in the US) and of good quality.
Personally I put everything bigger than 18x24 in my Picturesques, the smaller prints go in the Itoyas.
User avatar
phips
Art Expert
Posts: 2923
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:35 pm
Location: California

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:50 pm

fCon wrote:
phips wrote:2. I know it is dimensionally possible to put a smaller print (say, 18x24) in a 24x36 sleeve but do people recommend that?
Or should I put my 24x36 prints in the 24x36 sleeves and buy other sleeves that fit my smaller prints more snuggly?
It seems like the opinions on here about this are split...
Since the Picturesque is pretty expensive and does not hold a lot of pages (25-30 is reasonable in my experience), I'd be very picky what to put in it. I recommend getting an Itoya 18x24 ArtProfolio Evolution (24 pages) for everything that is 18x24 or smaller. The Itoya is cheap ($30-35 in the US) and of good quality.
Personally I put everything bigger than 18x24 in my Picturesques, the smaller prints go in the Itoyas.
But you could put 18x24 in a 24x36 and they would be fine right....not shifting around in the pages and denting themselves
or anything?
User avatar
finneganm
Art Freak
Posts: 16272
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: NJ

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:53 pm

You can have some movement in the big portfolio with prints that are not snug.The smaller portfolio is going to be your best bet, but you can always get archival corner mounts to put smaller prints in the big portfolio.
...
...
That's what she said
User avatar
veltri
Art Expert
Posts: 4575
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:04 pm

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:13 pm

I put smaller 19 x 25 prints at the bottom inner side and there is no movement.
strongstuff wrote: i want to watch those fools squirm.
Image
User avatar
phips
Art Expert
Posts: 2923
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:35 pm
Location: California

Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:44 pm

finneganm wrote:You can have some movement in the big portfolio with prints that are not snug.The smaller portfolio is going to be your best bet, but you can always get archival corner mounts to put smaller prints in the big portfolio.
I plan on getting an Itoya Evo when I get more larger prints. But as of now I have an equal split between large (18x24-24x36)
and smaller (18x24 and below)...so my best bet is to get the Picturesque as of now because if i just get the Itoya then my larger
prints will be s.o.l.

finneganm wrote:You can have some movement in the big portfolio with prints that are not snug.The smaller portfolio is going to be your best bet, but you can always get archival corner mounts to put smaller prints in the big portfolio.
Thanks for the input.
User avatar
ksn
Art Expert
Posts: 1666
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:57 am

Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:50 am

Are the black inserts the typical thin stuff?

If I buy the 24"x36", what if I get thick 23.5"x36" cardstock for each page with mounting corners? Or mylar bags + tape it to the cardstock? Not like I will need to take it out often.

Edit: if nobody finds any flaws with this, I will be the guinea pig and post some pics.
User avatar
finneganm
Art Freak
Posts: 16272
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: NJ

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:37 am

ksn wrote:Are the black inserts the typical thin stuff?

If I buy the 24"x36", what if I get thick 23.5"x36" cardstock for each page with mounting corners? Or mylar bags + tape it to the cardstock? Not like I will need to take it out often.

Edit: if nobody finds any flaws with this, I will be the guinea pig and post some pics.
The inserts are pretty thin. I've never done this, but I suspect that if you were to put in a thicker stock it would be exceptionally difficult to put a print in, and probably impossible to put in front and back prints. If you're thinking this route, and you don't have room for a flat file, you should look into:
http://www.bagsunlimited.com/c-561-blue-gray.aspx
These would handle a bag/card stock combo, and save you some cash in the process.

To be fair, I've never used one of those, so I have no opinion either way on how good/bad it is, I've just seen them come up in threads from various other members who seem to like them.
...
...
That's what she said
User avatar
phips
Art Expert
Posts: 2923
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:35 pm
Location: California

Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:52 pm

just got this in the mail yesterday. its great.
User avatar
ErocAfellar
Art Expert
Posts: 4509
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:25 pm

Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:05 pm

i got a 20% off coupon code that is valid for this weekend i think....ill post when i get home if anyone is interested
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
User avatar
ksn
Art Expert
Posts: 1666
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:57 am

Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:32 pm

ErocAfellar wrote:i got a 20% off coupon code that is valid for this weekend i think....ill post when i get home if anyone is interested
Please do. Thanks
Post Reply