How to Ship a Print

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
User avatar
aldo
Art Expert
Posts: 2036
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:04 pm

Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:08 am

dmm8878 wrote:
golobulus wrote:Tube-length kraft rolled thinner than the tube was my biggest take-away and has worked really well for me. Allow some tube crushing but not allow the print to bang back and forth in the tube.
This, though I usually cut the kraft a couple inches shorter than the tube and pad with bubble wrap or crumpled paper towels.
Why would you do that? That just gives you the chance for the padding to slide into the rolled kraft and onto the print. If the kraft is the length of the tube there is no need for padding - the print will not move at all.
User avatar
dasponyboy
Art Expert
Posts: 5363
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:47 pm
Location: THE ILL

Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:30 pm

shidarin wrote:1. Kraft under print, glassine over print, bottom ends folded in.
2. Wrap kraft slightly smaller than tube
3. Tape kraft shut with painters tape.
4. Wrap that in a layer of bubble wrap.
5. Tape on some strips of kraft at the ends to help with pulling out print
6. Pad ends with tissue or bubble wrap.
7. Tape on end caps with a circumference strip of packing tape
8. Avoid temptation to write "Fragile" on tube.

Are my current steps. Anything I'm missing/overdoing?
My exact setup except on #5 I use taped strips of bubble wrap on both ends instead of kraft.

I also don't think #4 is a mistake especially in a four inch Yazoo when rolling the print smaller. Taking up that extra 1/4 inch of space with bubble wrap isn't going to make the difference if they demolish a Yazoo. So I'd rather have it in there to soften any side jostling.
User avatar
disdig1
Art Expert
Posts: 4391
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:05 pm
Location: NY

Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:32 pm

aldo wrote:
dmm8878 wrote:
golobulus wrote:Tube-length kraft rolled thinner than the tube was my biggest take-away and has worked really well for me. Allow some tube crushing but not allow the print to bang back and forth in the tube.
This, though I usually cut the kraft a couple inches shorter than the tube and pad with bubble wrap or crumpled paper towels.
Why would you do that? That just gives you the chance for the padding to slide into the rolled kraft and onto the print. If the kraft is the length of the tube there is no need for padding - the print will not move at all.
tape the bubble wrap to the end cap and it will never slide into the tube boom!
User avatar
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak
Posts: 18007
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:37 pm

Receive tube from artist/gallery and slap your buyers info on it. Drop off at PO and done
Last edited by RambosRemodeler on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
User avatar
shidarin
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:38 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:41 pm

I have actually gotten tubes where the print slid a bit against the kraft paper- because it was so far to one side that it obviously wasn't rolled that way. If the tube takes a big hit on one end and the kraft paper can't move (because it's the length of the tube) the print will still have force acting on it. True, having it wrapped in the kraft paper gives it plenty of friction, but you're really going to just depend on friction? Cutting the kraft shorter than the tube and padding with tissue or bubble wrap allows the kraft and the print to move a bit together, keeping the print protected by the kraft.

At least, that's my bullshit pseudo scientific sounding reasoning to myself.
User avatar
Cragars
Art Expert
Posts: 7410
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:04 am

Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:30 pm

Every single tube I've received with this padding, all that junk has worked it's way into the roll and serves absolutely no purpose. Then, since space was allowed between the ends and the kraft, the kraft gets beat to fudge. If you roll smaller than the diameter of the tube with the Kraft the same length as the tube, you'll be fine.
turnJBup
Art Expert
Posts: 8889
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:00 am
Location: California

Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:41 pm

People are still putting padding into the ends of tubes?
wtf?

CUT THE HALF INCH OFF THE TUBE.
DONT CRAM ANY OF YOUR TOILET PAPER OR PLASTIC BAGS INTO THE ENDS... IT DOESNT WORK.
turnJBup
Art Expert
Posts: 8889
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:00 am
Location: California

Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:42 pm

Cragars wrote:Every single tube I've received with this padding, all that junk has worked it's way into the roll and serves absolutely no purpose. Then, since space was allowed between the ends and the kraft, the kraft gets beat to fudge. If you roll smaller than the diameter of the tube with the Kraft the same length as the tube, you'll be fine.
User avatar
shidarin
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:38 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:44 pm

If padding is working it's way into the end of the roll, that means the ends of the roll don't have the kraft paper taped over the end, and it was crap padding.
turnJBup
Art Expert
Posts: 8889
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:00 am
Location: California

Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:48 pm

shidarin wrote:I have actually gotten tubes where the print slid a bit against the kraft paper- because it was so far to one side that it obviously wasn't rolled that way. If the tube takes a big hit on one end and the kraft paper can't move (because it's the length of the tube) the print will still have force acting on it. True, having it wrapped in the kraft paper gives it plenty of friction, but you're really going to just depend on friction? Cutting the kraft shorter than the tube and padding with tissue or bubble wrap allows the kraft and the print to move a bit together, keeping the print protected by the kraft.

At least, that's my bullshit pseudo scientific sounding reasoning to myself.

Folding the bottom helps. If the print slides it's because it wasn't rolled tightly.
If you don't want to roll tightly, use an additional piece of craft over the print. :wink:
Thought I saw someone mention fold both ends of the craft paper... That's a no no.
Because when the print is rolled, the top folded portion gets too tight and can damage the top of the print.
I guess you can do it, but be sure to leave enough room at the top so the poster doesn't touch the fold.
turnJBup
Art Expert
Posts: 8889
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:00 am
Location: California

Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:54 pm

shidarin wrote:If padding is working it's way into the end of the roll, that means the ends of the roll don't have the kraft paper taped over the end, and it was crap padding.
Why on earth would you stuff anything in the end when you can cut the tube to fit the poster roll with a bread knife in 4 seconds? It's ridiculous...
The only reason people are cramming foreign crap in there is because the tube is too long. Well, cut it where you want it.
User avatar
PLUSH
Art Expert
Posts: 7198
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:43 pm
Location: TEXAS

Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:59 pm

turnJBup wrote:
shidarin wrote:If padding is working it's way into the end of the roll, that means the ends of the roll don't have the kraft paper taped over the end, and it was crap padding.
Why on earth would you stuff anything in the end when you can cut the tube to fit the poster roll with a bread knife in 4 seconds? It's ridiculous...
The only reason people are cramming foreign crap in there is because the tube is too long. Well, cut it where you want it.
A bread knife? 4 seconds? Dude, you need to use thicker tubes. I'd like to see a video of that. I used my 12" miter saw.
User avatar
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus
Posts: 52227
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:50 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:11 pm

turnJBup wrote:
shidarin wrote:If padding is working it's way into the end of the roll, that means the ends of the roll don't have the kraft paper taped over the end, and it was crap padding.
Why on earth would you stuff anything in the end when you can cut the tube to fit the poster roll with a bread knife in 4 seconds? It's ridiculous...
The only reason people are cramming foreign crap in there is because the tube is too long. Well, cut it where you want it.
Isn't it easier to cut the kraft paper the right size than the super thick tube with a bread knife?! :roll:
This isn't an arts and crafts project lol. Really boy-scouting that tube packing.
So it goes...
User avatar
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak
Posts: 18007
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:16 pm

Some of you guys are drymounting noobs
Image
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
turnJBup
Art Expert
Posts: 8889
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:00 am
Location: California

Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:20 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:Some of you guys are drymounting noobs
No fudge. :lol:
I guess the year isn't showing up on my account... Off to a party.
Post Reply