How to Ship a Print

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:57 am

Library street collective ships this way (which is prolly who he's taking about). It's drymounting annoying.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
PLUSH
Art Expert

Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:58 am

shidarin wrote:
golobulus wrote:Just received a thick tube with the sides of the caps stapled through the sides of the tube. Can we agree that this should *never* be done! Oh the frustration! Tape is sufficient!
G1988 does this. Takes me forever to unpack.

Regarding packing tape on the end caps- you don't need a lot of it, but you do need good packing tape. Crummy tape won't stick reliable no matter how much tape you use, and a single strip of great packing tape around the edge of a cap will hold it as surely as a staple if not better.

This stuff is beastly: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005P7P9M ... 5e_g229_i5
I love the USPS Priority tape. I get it from my local PO because I drop off stuff so much. It is thin and strong which makes it just right for the end caps.
shidarin
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:41 am

PLUSH wrote:
shidarin wrote:
golobulus wrote:Just received a thick tube with the sides of the caps stapled through the sides of the tube. Can we agree that this should *never* be done! Oh the frustration! Tape is sufficient!
G1988 does this. Takes me forever to unpack.

Regarding packing tape on the end caps- you don't need a lot of it, but you do need good packing tape. Crummy tape won't stick reliable no matter how much tape you use, and a single strip of great packing tape around the edge of a cap will hold it as surely as a staple if not better.

This stuff is beastly: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005P7P9M ... 5e_g229_i5
I love the USPS Priority tape. I get it from my local PO because I drop off stuff so much. It is thin and strong which makes it just right for the end caps.
Before I found this stuff, that's what I used. This stuff is on another level of strongness.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:49 pm

Bump
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
bigmuls
Art Expert

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:39 pm

Is there anything on here on how to ship a print flat? Suggestions on shipping supplies for shipping flat?

I'm looking to get some shipping supplies to send off some small prints that have to be shipped flat such as some of Fairey's letterpress prints. Thanks!
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:01 pm

I just cut up boxes to a couple inches larger than the print. I've also used foam core. Usually 5 layers is enough to keep things safe. Make sure to fashion some sort of corners to keep the prints in place.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
sixstringer
Art Expert

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:20 pm

flatpackaprint.jpg
Use multiple layers of cardboard and be sure the cross the direction of the grain for maximum taco proofing.
bigmuls
Art Expert

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:41 pm

Thanks! I'm debating between rigid mailers and perforated cardboard mailers. I might try to cut up some boxes as well, but I have too many prints to ship that would make it too time consuming.
auxifer
Art Enthusiast

Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:19 am

Noob question: when do you decide if a print has to be shipped flat or rolled up?
I’m eyeing a couple of James Jean’s prints and wondering if they can be rolled up in a tube...
Why are some prints shipped flat and some are not?
jjttdw
Art Expert

Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:41 pm

auxifer wrote:Noob question: when do you decide if a print has to be shipped flat or rolled up?
I’m eyeing a couple of James Jean’s prints and wondering if they can be rolled up in a tube...
Why are some prints shipped flat and some are not?
Some things have to be shipped flat because of how they were made. I received the print below flat because of the raised paint or whatever.

Most prints are shipped rolled because of the size would make it much more expensive to ship flat. I ship smaller stuff flat (i.e. less than 18x24). That said I've also shipped higher value 18x24 prints flat because the packaging was bulletproof and the sales price merited the extra shipping cost. (1/8" plywood sandwich). My guess is the Jean prints would ship rolled.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
bestazy

Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:57 am

Thank You so Much! this was very helpful I guess I can buy some design stamps to decorate it.
Am trying to make my own shipping or deliver way to use it to give my clients the prints not matter what sizes they are.