Flatfile options...

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Odess
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Hey all, time for another flatfile thread!

I've looked through a bunch of these threads already, but looking for input for what I need.

Within the next few months, I'll be moving out and into my own apartment. It will most likely be a studio I move into. The amount of prints I have now isn't all that many as I've only been really collecting the past year or so. I will have a decent amount of money when I move out so I can decently furnish the place. I know a good flatfile is pretty pricey. I'm willing to spend the money, however I'm looking for a couple of things I need it to be. Asking the experts in here for their help.

I would like my flatfile to double as a coffee table, or something similar. A piece of furniture almost. So I can store my prints and also not have it take up valuable living space that a table in the living room would have. Wood would be a plus, though not necessary. I know this would make it more expensive, but if a decent price I will pay it. Also need it to be at least 24 x 36 on the inside so I can store my larger prints in there. As of right now, most are in tubes, and I don't want to keep them there too long.

If you guys have any input, it would be much appreciated!

AOXOMOXOA
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:20 pm

google "map file coffee table"

I would be afraid of some one spilling a drink on all my prints.

http://www.harpgallery.com/showroom/item9094.html

I can't get the picture to link on this one...
http://www.ethanallen.com/product?productId=1254
Imatruck
Art Expert

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:28 pm

that's a dangerous option
jarbo
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:52 pm

If you're willing to pay you could always have something custom built.
http://www.fridfurniture.com/
:drool: :drool:
Odess
Art Connoisseur

Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:51 pm

jarbo wrote:If you're willing to pay you could always have something custom built.
http://www.fridfurniture.com/
:drool: :drool:
Wow, that stuff is beautiful. I can't even begin to imagine the price though. Probably way too rich for my blood.

Some of the other options look much more doable.

I understand what you guys are saying about having it as a piece of furniture. If something spills, my prints are as good as drymounted. However, with a studio I don't exactly have the luxury of room. Alternatives are welcomed also!
kjnd
New User

Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:28 am

Oh, this is some gorgeous stuff. But the cost—I can't even begin to imagine it. Most likely far too wealthy for my taste.
Other ideas seem much more feasible than some of them.
I appreciate what you guys have to say about using it as furniture. My prints are as good as drymounted if something spills. But I don't exactly have the luxury of space as I only have a studio. Alternatives also are welcomed! :notworthy:
RiotAct
EB Team

Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:31 pm

kjnd wrote:
Oh, this is some gorgeous stuff. But the cost—I can't even begin to imagine it. Most likely far too wealthy for my taste.
I appreciate what you guys have to say about using it as furniture. My prints are as good as drymounted if something spills. But I don't exactly have the luxury of space as I only have a studio. Alternatives also are welcomed! :notworthy:
Before I got my wooden flatfile from an awesome dude on here, I did the “sandwich prints between two pieces of foamcore” thing in my apartment’s living room for a couple years. Haha.

I had a 725 sq ft place though; not huge but not exactly a studio either
TKuczynski
Art Expert

Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:46 pm

kjnd wrote:
This photo is from ten years ago and a previous home, but I'm still rocking the same wooden flatfile/coffee table setup. I bought it on craigslist for like 200 bucks and refinished/painted it. I live in a much larger apartment now, and I've since mounted it on low-profile wheels, but it still doubles as the living room coffee table. We're not fond on the color anymore.

ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:52 pm

I used to have two under my bed frame, they were used as support and I slapped 4 2*4's on the bed frame legs to extend them. One opened at the foot of the bed, the other at the side
jjttdw
Art Expert

Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:27 pm

Thread dusted off after 12 years. Outstanding.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
crujonez
Art Connoisseur

Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:52 am

scored a flat file from a cable company that was going to throw it away this weekend. so pumped its like brand new. i like the idea of using it as a coffee table
cotis
Art Expert

Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:36 am

had this guy done during covid, helped keep a local small business afloat and I love the damn thing

haven
Art Expert

Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:20 pm

Well that’s pretty great
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:00 pm

Libraries sometimes have old standing flatfiles (downside is they only have 1-3 drawers) that were for map storage may try to search out one of those