Cheap flat file?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
JAWilmesJr
Art Expert

Sun May 15, 2011 12:02 am

Cbjornson wrote: I was really impressed with the overall quality of this thing too. Built like a tank. Kinda made it a bitch to move (but I did take out the drawers and all) but either way, it's in its resting spot in the basement so I won't have to worry about moving it for a long time. The guy I bought it from used it for storing large format art prints too but he was in the process of moving across the country and didn't want to bring it all with him. His loss, my big gain. :pint:
Congrats indeed. I still regret not buying both flat files from the guy I got mine from, but I was hoping some other poster nerd in Los Angeles would wind up with it. I paid $50 for my five drawer but it's not nearly as nice as yours is. It will feel so nice when you get your prints in there.
Goonies never say die!
rmoore
Art Expert

Sun May 15, 2011 12:56 am

Just checked out the red one at Mondo today. Holy fudge, that's impressive. The wife loved it too. I gotta get a flat file and do that to it. Shouldn't be too hard to get a hole cut in the top of it and have a piece of glass made to set on it. And Montana spray paints come in hundreds of colors to work with...
meskell
Art Expert

Sun May 15, 2011 1:24 am

Santelope wrote:But in the end isn't a portfolio more convenient?
I love my portfolios but they are currently filled and I need to buy more sleeves. After considering the costs of buying a used file or repeatedly purchasing new sleeves I'm definitely leaning towards the former. Seems to be much more cost effective. Plus I can always keep the favorites in the portfolios for easier viewing.
Wanda: I can't stand people. I hate them. Do you hate them?
Henry: No, but I seem to feel better when they're not around.
rockbridge
Art Expert

Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:34 pm

This isn't a flat file, but it was pretty cheap:

They are available here:

http://www.misterart.com/store/view.cfm ... &AID=10273
Cragars
Art Expert

Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:56 pm

http://www.dickblick.com/products/safco ... ing-trays/

This a cheap(er) solution to flat files. Lighter and stackable to meet your needs. I like it too because it's new and I won't have to clean, prep and paint an old flat file found on craigslist.

After having to wrestle some prints into my picturesque 'folio and not liking it, I'm gunna go with this option.
rockbridge
Art Expert

Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Cragars wrote:http://www.dickblick.com/products/safco ... ing-trays/

This a cheap(er) solution to flat files. Lighter and stackable to meet your needs. I like it too because it's new and I won't have to clean, prep and paint an old flat file found on craigslist.

After having to wrestle some prints into my picturesque 'folio and not liking it, I'm gunna go with this option.
Cool idea, but not sure how it's cheaper....If you ordered one as pictured, it would cost around $1,300 plus a fudge ton of shipping :shock:
Cragars
Art Expert

Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:41 am

Well, I figure most people have your standard 5 drawer flatfile so a couple pairs of those would be enough.
VaughanJer
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:46 am

CrustaR wrote:
dasher12 wrote:Seems like a great price but what about shipping costs? They can't be $3.99. And no reviews on any of the companies models make me kinda unsure as well. I think craigslist is the best bet like others have mentioned. No high shipping costs as these usually are heavy.
I'm starting to think it's not the actual flat file unit but just a stand.

It says:

Closed base for 40-3/4x28-3/8x6-in. files. Color: Light Gray.

I think the actual title is deceptive. I guess I'm better off doing Craigslist if I can find one on there...
Yes, you are correct... just the stand. I made the same mistake with the same unit a week or so ago. LabSafetySupply.com has a lot of these for sale...
CrustaR
Art Expert

Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:36 am

VaughanJer wrote:
CrustaR wrote:
dasher12 wrote:Seems like a great price but what about shipping costs? They can't be $3.99. And no reviews on any of the companies models make me kinda unsure as well. I think craigslist is the best bet like others have mentioned. No high shipping costs as these usually are heavy.
I'm starting to think it's not the actual flat file unit but just a stand.

It says:

Closed base for 40-3/4x28-3/8x6-in. files. Color: Light Gray.

I think the actual title is deceptive. I guess I'm better off doing Craigslist if I can find one on there...
Yes, you are correct... just the stand. I made the same mistake with the same unit a week or so ago. LabSafetySupply.com has a lot of these for sale...
Thankfully I found a flat file here in town for $150. I don't know how I lived without one - great investment.
pewter14 wrote:You're not the only one on the hunt for The Thing ... just ... the most obvious ... by a lot.
phishstix101
Art Expert

Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:04 pm

I got lucky here in town as well. Older lady looking to clear out some room. I purchased a mid 1980's wooden flat file for $200. Love it!!!
adamsmasher
Art Expert

Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:16 pm

caleb wrote:that is a pretty good price, hard to believe it's only $14.25 to ship too. am i reading that right that it's only 14 lbs? that awfully light, maybe i'm reading it wrong, but something doesn't seem right
As far as I can tell, that listing is for the base only.
markforsman
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:51 pm

freaksmeout wrote:Build your bed on top of it.
I kid you not, this is exactly what I did. When I was re-jiggering my apartment I built a base for my bed at the height I knew most flat files were. Then eventually scored one from an old internship (for free). They had a stack of 10 and told me to take as many as I wanted. If only NY apartments weren't so damn small. It's all different now, but I dug up this old picture.

mistersmith
Art Freak

Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:56 pm

markforsman wrote:
freaksmeout wrote:Build your bed on top of it.
I kid you not, this is exactly what I did. When I was re-jiggering my apartment I built a base for my bed at the height I knew most flat files were. Then eventually scored one from an old internship (for free). They had a stack of 10 and told me to take as many as I wanted. If only NY apartments weren't so damn small. It's all different now, but I dug up this old picture.
Is that what it looks like now? I don't get it. You put a mattress on top of a file?

This is how you build a bed over a flat file. Well, this is how I built a bed over a flat file:

electrachrome, mostly kidding wrote:mr smith, EB's poet laureate.
Take this man at his word:
misterx wrote:Don't enter into discourse with me.
markforsman
Art Connoisseur

Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:15 pm

mistersmith wrote: Is that what it looks like now? I don't get it. You put a mattress on top of a file?

This is how you build a bed over a flat file. Well, this is how I built a bed over a flat file:

Good god, give me a garage, 12 pack, space, and some tools. I'll try to do that.

Now a kegorator filled with homebrew lives where the bed used to be
mazdog
Art Expert

Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:22 pm

markforsman wrote: re-jiggering
interesting choice in terminology.