Dare I say it..."Art in the Bathroom"

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Clifford_Ball
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:11 pm

I've got a beat up "100 Phish Songs" poster that I want to hang in my bathroom so people pissing will have something to look at. The poster is 24"x30". I talked to a framer friend of mine who suggested laminating it. Its a beat up poster but still, I hate laminating it even more than I hate hanging it in my bathroom. Anyone else have any suggestions?
marshhouse
Art Expert

Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:45 pm

Are you worried about it being destroyed by humidity? If so, keep it out of the head. Maybe take it to Kinko's have them photocopy it and then laminate?
Clifford_Ball
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:56 pm

I never thought of making a copy fo myself. Thats exactly the sort of response I was looking for. Thanks!! I'm still open to other suggestions. And yes, its the humidity I'm worrid about although it wasnt expensive I'd like it to stay in decent shape for as long as possible.
sunsetbrew
Art Expert

Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:42 pm

Can't you buy another one for like $10 on eBay? $10 bathroom art is not a bad deal. :)
Clifford_Ball
Art Enthusiast

Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:47 pm

I've been watching Ebay for one of these posters for quite a while. Theres 2 "101 songs" and 1 "100 Songs" and a "125 songs" out there but they seldom come up. I paid 20 bucks for this one and in the item description it said "Excellent" condition which was an outright lie since theres 5 MAJOR creases, stains all over the back, dents and edge dings everywhere. If it wasnt so hard to find I might have sent it back. Thus it is a "Beat up" but "hard to find" poster. I think framing it is definitely out since it would trap the moisture inside the frame causing more damage than if I just hung it loose on the wall with one of those clamp-at-the-top type poster hangers. I found two laminating places in my area today. One is closed for vacation, I'm gonna call the other place on Monday.
Bread8
EB Team Emeritus

Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:57 pm

when i was in college i went to a girl's place and she had a picture of the quaker oatmeal guy above the toilet. it didn't bother her any because her back was always to him, but that coy grin really freaked me out when i was doing my business in there. bathroom art is evil.
ercodeblue
Art Connoisseur

Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:20 pm

Best bathroom art......go to the thrift store. Or a velvet painting. So tacky. But very entertaining.
Bakedbeens
Art Connoisseur

Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:46 pm

And when having a party, never put a red light bulb in the bathroom socket, especially with white fixtures. Trust me.
A few people wouldn't even go in there at all. I'm just glad that I had already seen the walls drip blood before, so it wasn't anything new.
:shock:
bathroommonkey
Tantric Poster Collector

Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:06 pm

i have a cooper schnchez monkey head
Heads of State Bright Eyes 2
and a stencil from With Remote

i have to think that is better than a velvet thrift store thing.

i enjoy my bathroom
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:20 pm

I have to think that is better than a velvet thrift store thing
Sure it is... as long as you don't mind possible print damage in the long run...
Tra la la la la...
bigjilm

Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:41 pm

i had this one hanging in the bathroom at one of my old places. :lol:

mmotorcycle
Art Enthusiast

Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:51 am

beenz wrote:And when having a party, never put a red light bulb in the bathroom socket, especially with white fixtures. Trust me.
A few people wouldn't even go in there at all. I'm just glad that I had already seen the walls drip blood before, so it wasn't anything new.
:shock:
WHen I was in my early twenties I used to hang out with this dude that was comparable to feck from the rivers edge. He had a gimpy leg and everything. We used to go over there and hallucinogens, pot and alcohol were on him. He was also an artist of the, paint everything fluorescent colors in a black room variety. THe entire room was moving after being there for a couple of hours. His bathroom was black and red with a red lightbulb. One particularly heavy night I got stuck in there and could not get out. I was positive that the floor had flooded and that my pants which were at my ankles were soaking wet and that I could not pull them up again. I didn't even know where the hell I was.
My girlfriend finally came in there and we both got stuck. Eventually we talked ourselves out. It was weird.
Meow
marshhouse
Art Expert

Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:32 am

From my college photography class. It hangs above the john.

For some reason I couldn't get it to show up the first time I tried.
Shmogger

Sun Sep 19, 2004 3:51 pm

I think as long as the art is competently framed behind glass with a good seal, you shouldn't have a problem with humidity (i.e. steam). Am I wrong? I have some pieces in my bathroom and I was worried about this at first but I haven't seen any problems yet.
watersbrad
Art Expert

Sun Sep 19, 2004 4:09 pm

Shmogger wrote:I think as long as the art is competently framed behind glass with a good seal, you shouldn't have a problem with humidity (i.e. steam). Am I wrong? I have some pieces in my bathroom and I was worried about this at first but I haven't seen any problems yet.
I've got some prints in my bathroom (running out of wall space everywhere else). I just taped the back seam of the frame with clear mailing tape. I check them regularly, and haven't seen any waves or signs of moisture damage.