Mould/stain removal advice.

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
KXG
Art Connoisseur

Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:48 am

Hey, all.

I was going through the collection today and was gutted to find that my large edition Janee Meadows Lolita print has got a bit of a stain on it. I can’t tell what happened here but possible came from the rust of the folder? It’s on a thicker card stock and I’m wondering of there’s a good way of removing this at home?

The print is otherwise beautiful, though possibly one I will go onto sell, as I have to make room.

Appreciate everyone’s help.
IWish
Art Expert

Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:06 pm

I can't recommend anything specific, but you might take a look at products (cleaning) on a museum supply shop. I just picked a random site... maybe take a look?

https://www.gaylord.com/c/Conservation-Supplies
dave3412
Art Enthusiast

Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:56 pm

I would suggest you take it to a paper conservationist first. Typically a first cursory examination can deliver an accurate assessment and present treatment options as well as a budgetary cost for restoration. If this print is dear to you, I would not recommend you attempting to restore it yourself. If the restoration budget is too high, and you decide to try to restore it yourself, I suggets you find cheaper, similar fouled specimens to practice on first. Restoration skills do take years of practice to develop.
MaxCollinsII
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:25 am

Just trim it :ziggi: or reach out to PosterMountain if it is an Olly Moss...
The Original Pure Hemp® Rolling Papers :ziggi: made in Spain, unlike some of our competitors
PartPat: "All of Eb is one big mondo joke really."
KXG
Art Connoisseur

Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:20 am

Bit of an update.

I’ve got an appointment booked with Joanna Payne, who is a top conservator based in London. Feeling a bit better about this.

I’ve also just ordered a portfolio from Baroque Portfolios, so I’ll look forward to receiving that and reorganising my 1 sheets and screen prints and getting rid of the rusty ol’ display sleeves.

Thanks for the replies.