Blueprint hanging clamps

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
TheElectricMayhem

Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:30 am

Hey all,
Noob questions here: I recently bought a bunch of prints at an estate auction and they were rolled, some quite tightly. I have no idea how long they were stored this way but I'm under the impression they may have been stored like this for years and not just to get to/from the auction.

I've seen lots of advice on here on how to roll a poster for packing, but not on how to safely unroll a poster. To start I have just un-taped the outer kraft paper to let them relax a bit but they still hold their rolled shape quite firmly. I have at my disposal a couple of blueprint hanging clamps like these: https://www.engineersupply.com/Premium- ... PC624.aspx
Just the clamps, not the frame to hang them on. Anyone use these things? I was thinking if I used them, then I can at least hold the bottom edge evenly and straight as I try to unroll them. But I don't know if the lip on the inner face designed to grip the blueprints will damage/dent a poster. I was thinking if I put some kraft paper front and back so the clamp wasn't directly touching the print?

Anyway, any advice is greatly appreciated!
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:48 am

the pressure of the clamp might still indent the paper

I would use magazines/bean bags on the edges and slowly unroll, let paper relax, unroll some more.

depending on the paper, how long been tubed and how tight - you got some work cut out
TheElectricMayhem

Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:00 am

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll avoid the clamps and just take my time.

Follow up question then:
Within this lot I won at the auction, there are some pieces that I intend to sell. Should I just leave these rolled/tubed or should I still try to flatten them?

If its harder on the print to be rolled, flattened, rolled again, etc, then maybe I should leave them be. But I also want to be able to get them pretty flat to be able to give a fair assessment to any potential buyer.

Thoughts?
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:21 pm

flatten them - if buyers can't assess condition it will be reflected in bidding

if these pieces are low dollar- then it might not matter
pekalex
Art Enthusiast

Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:49 pm

You can try reverse rolling the prints if you feel like it won't harm the prints. I had some art printed on very heavy paper stock that was rolled for a long time and the only way I could get the prints to flatten was to take a tube and do a reverse roll. After a day in the reverse roll, I used bean bags and other weights to flatten the print completely.