Humidity - What is too high?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
the_squid
Art Enthusiast

Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:52 pm

I'm hoping to hang some posters in my basement, which "feels" dry but can get to around 60% rh from time to time. Is there a general rule for acceptable environmental conditions for framed posters?
samanthaspivey
New User

Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:03 am

the_squid wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:52 pm
I'm hoping to hang some posters in my basement, which "feels" drgeometry dash subzeroy but can get to around 60% rh from time to time. Is there a general rule for acceptable environmental conditions for framed posters?
A stable environment at around 40-60% relative humidity is best for your artworks. However, it’s important to keep the range of humidity within 20% relative humidity range. Using an air conditioner in the summer and humidifier in the winter can help maintain a favorable atmosphere.
fdi1001
Art Connoisseur

Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:23 am

I second what samathaspivey said about 40-60%. If your basement is getting near or possibly over 60% I would consider getting a dehumidifier for your basement not just for the posters, but to help reduce the chance of mold forming. I was fortunate in that there is an open drain in the floor near our AC unit. I was able to get a dehumidifier that allows the connection of short hose I run into that drain so I never have to worry about draining the dehumidifier.
Frame Destination, Inc.
Picture Framing Blog
Facebook
LinkedIn
deniolpahsy
New User

Tue Mar 12, 2024 3:39 am

fdi1001 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:23 am
I second what samathaspivey said about 40-60%. If your basement is getting near or possibly over 60% I would consider getting a dehumidifier for your basement not just for the posters, but to help reduce the chance of mold forming. I was fortunate in that there is an open drain in the floor near our AC unit. I was able to get a dehumidifier that allows the connection of short hose I run into that drain so I never have to worry about draining the dehumidifier.
I don't think it's necessary to install a dehumidifier in the basement.
sidewaysscott
Art God

Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:20 am

these are bots right?
pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.
jojobadass
Art God

Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:21 am

for sure
For the best concert and movie posters available, check out: http://www.jojosposters.com

For other art crap....be sure to check out: http://www.jojosfineart.com

And for the kinkiest records in the world......check out the newest website in the Jojo Empire: http://www.jojosrecords.com