how did this damage occur?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
vortec42
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:17 pm

Hi all-

Shipped this poster last week, and went over it with a fine toothed comb (figuratively) and actually pointed out some very minor issues prior to shipping. But when the print arrived, the major creases shown in the pictures below were pointed out by the recipient.

*image links fixed thanks to codeblue! I'm dumb at ubbcode

The recipient says the tube and kraft paper are not damaged. I rolled the print from the bottom, so for something to get damaged there from the outside, it would have had to have been damaged through the tube and it would have been present on the kraft paper and further up the print as well (as the upper part of the print would have been on the outside of the roll.

Any ideas on how this damage could have occurred? I'm stumped. I've never seen this before. And feel really bad, but I don't know what responsibility I have here. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Last edited by vortec42 on Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:26 pm

^Fixed for ya.

Either ya damaged it and didn't notice, the buyer damaged it, or he pulled the switcharoo.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:40 pm

Does the damage repeat? That's usually an indication that the tube took a hit.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:44 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:40 pm
Does the damage repeat? That's usually an indication that the tube took a hit.
Good call. Looks like a banged tube. Shoulda been evident when received. Was it against the edge of the tube?
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:45 pm

He said the tube is fine. #no1readsanymo
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
pewter14
EB Team

Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:56 pm

mistersmith wrote:Brady is one of the best QBs in history and will forever been seen as such.
Two links every EB member should read, please take a moment:

EB Wiki - How to Ship a Print in a Tube

Expressobeans For Sale Forum - Open Market Guidelines
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:01 pm

Codeblue wrote:
If the damage repeats its from a whack to the tube, the compression is sometimes not visible (and sometimes it just hides from the buyers eyes)

That does look like what happens when damaged in transit, but only if it repeats. Got any pics of the back?
vortec42
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:51 pm

thought I was clear above but I guess not. The damage does not repeat - that's the first thing I asked about. And since I rolled from the bottom, the creases being on the lower part of the poster meant it was on the inside of the roll. So without any damage further up the poster, it seems unlikely (nay... impossible) for the damage to have happened from the outside. The recipient also says no obvious damage to the kraft paper or tube. No pics of the back but I could ask.

So I agree with ya codeblue (and thanks for fixing me links) - either it was damaged when I sent, he unknowingly damaged it, or pulled the switcheroo. The number matches up perfectly with what I sent so the switcheroo would have required some pretty good photoshopping. And his interactions have been pretty sincere, so I doubt that, but you never know.

That's why I came here - I'm stumped as to how this happened. Thought someone might have an idea. Very weird.

Buyer has not asked for any money back yet but I feel like I should offer something. Newbie account here, so kind of feel obligated to not have them have a bad experience. But also don't want to be taken advantage of.
Last edited by vortec42 on Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
finneganm
Art Freak

Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:53 pm

Wrath of god
That's what she said
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:42 pm

Based on the price history, it looks like a pretty cheap print. I'd prolly just refund or do a partial if duke is ok with it. OR ask him to burn it (literally) and make a video and sell it as an NFT, then burn it (virtually) and collect ash worth 50k and pay for yer kid's college like EGT.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:56 pm

I always blame the person opening the tube and handling the print since of course I could not have made a mistake so egregious. But fudge happens. 75% chance they damaged it, 25% it was my fault and I didn't notice. What do you think the break down is for you? I ship hundreds of prints a year for many years and unfortunately once in a while there's a mistake.

If it's not crazy expensive just give the benefit of the doubt and offer a discount or take it back.
vortec42
Art Connoisseur

Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:22 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:56 pm
I always blame the person opening the tube and handling the print since of course I could not have made a mistake so egregious. But fudge happens. 75% chance they damaged it, 25% it was my fault and I didn't notice. What do you think the break down is for you? I ship hundreds of prints a year for many years and unfortunately once in a while there's a mistake.

If it's not crazy expensive just give the benefit of the doubt and offer a discount or take it back.
I only sell a few a year - selling off the collection I built up but have pretty much stopped expanding at this point.
Yeah it's not a high dollar print, your suggestion is what I was thinking of doing. Just bummed, frustrated, and confused about how it could have happened. I agree with your percentages of likelihood of responsibility, but I should chalk it up as a cost of doing business. Guess I'm just lucky it wasn't on a more expensive print, because I've definitely sold some much bigger ones here.

Thought maybe I was missing an obvious reason for the damage (doesn't sound like it) and wondering what I should offer (they aren't demanding anything). I will offer a discount or return.

Do we close threads in this forum? If so... think this one is all set. Thanks all for the time and replies.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:32 pm

Codeblue wrote:
WTF do I need to read for? If Trump has taught us anything, it is that you can even be POTUS and not read.

Reading is for saps and losers
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:31 am

Do you know what edition number you had? Maybe he did do a switcharoo.

*Ahem* He wrote many top seller books since the 80's and that quote "saps and losers" is debunked to high heaven. FYI lol
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:48 am

^Luls. Dis post is great on so many levels.