Hanging Expecisve Paintings Above Gas Fireplace

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
recycler
Art Expert

Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:12 am

Hello Everyone!

Question about hanging expensive paintings above gas fireplaces. The fireplace is such a focal point and why not have something amazing above it. However, any danger in having the art located directly above a fire, lol!?!?

I am leaning toward NOT hanging the OG above the fireplace, but I want to see what others do.

Thanks!
talkingdeads
Art Expert

Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:55 pm

Tape adhesive may have a low melting point
dwlfennell
Art Connoisseur

Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:01 pm

Decorators would say yes. Conservators would say no. I wouldn't take the chance. Heat and dryness can do bad things to paintings. Risk might be mitigated somewhat by the fact that it's gas and depending on if/what kind of mantle you have, but still, nah for me. Heck, I try not to even hang things that matter above or below HVAC supply vents.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:18 pm

What's the painting?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
recycler
Art Expert

Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:26 pm

Thanks people! I would agree about trying to reduce all exposure to unnecessary changes in temp: dryness and heat. I hear you about keeping art away from registers or radiant heating.

Blue: It's one of those new Sandra Chevrier watercolors. So yeah....don't really want to put it in a dangerous place. LOL