Framing composition

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu May 12, 2005 1:30 pm

I have finally mustered up the courage (and money) to start framing some of my favorite prints. I read the FAQ and find it useful, but I was wondering how some of you more experienced framers choose to do it. I.E. do you usually leave some room on the prints borders so the signature and number can show, or do you think it works best just to show the print image and cover the borders completely with the mat? I supposed it's all personal preference, but I imagine it makes the measurements different and perhaps adds some challenge to getting the mat size just right. I might be overthinking this, but any help or advice is appreciated!
Last edited by Codeblue on Thu May 12, 2005 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cushway
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 12, 2005 1:54 pm

one factor is going to be how they are going to be arranged----------
with so many here we found it cheapest to dispense with the matt and 'float' the piece on acid free black----that way you don't need the matt and thw whole posters shows---and then use a standard black metal frame--eveything matches and everything is easy to change.

Have to watch separation of poster from glass-----water can condense in their especially in humed climates or like bathrooms and stuff.

DO NOT DRYMOUNT

look at auction houses for outrageous frames---they go fairly cheaply [buy, and usually discard the 'art' inside]

on walls-----with a large expense, one central larger piece , flanked by smaller ones, word well.

usually, listen to women on colors and placement---they are usually a lot better at it----a lot.

P.
Clifford_Ball
Art Enthusiast

Thu May 12, 2005 2:34 pm

I am good friends with my framer. Sometimes I have a pre-determined idea of how I want it done but most of the time I just bring a print to his shop and we sit down and go through his mat and frame samples laying them on the print and seeing how they look. Sometimes we'll spend half an hour doing this before I narrow it down to a few and then bite the bullet and pick one. I have given him free reign a few times and he picks out nice combinations. Every print I've framed that was signed or numbered or both was matted in such a way that the number or signature is visible. Before I found this place and wised up I was bringing them to the mall and having them done cheaply at Prints Plus in plastic frames under plexiglass with no mats. I have since learned better and am slowly reframing them with mats and in most cases using archival quality material. I currently have over 60 prints framed. I am actually glad I framed a bunch cheaply because it enabled me to enjoy them and hey, at least they arent in tubes any more :)
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu May 12, 2005 2:36 pm

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by 'float it on acid free black'? What is a good way to create separation from the print and glass if you're not using a mat?
dougr
Site Admin

Thu May 12, 2005 4:49 pm

Codeblue wrote:Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean by 'float it on acid free black'? What is a good way to create separation from the print and glass if you're not using a mat?
someone recommended these: http://www.framingsupplies.com/FrameTek ... eThree.htm a bunch of my frame jobs don't have these, i've been lucky i guess in that i don't have any issues with sticking to the glass, but plan on upgrading my DIY frame jobs that are smooshed against the glass...
Bakedbeens
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 13, 2005 2:36 am

cushway wrote:
Have to watch separation of poster from glass-----water can condense in their especially in humed climates or like bathrooms and stuff.
I've had that happen, quite frequently actually. I live in WI where it goes from extremely dry in the summer to extremely humid and hot in the summer. I've had pieces that were stored flat adhere to the one above it, etc. The closest I've come is to 'float' it in a simple cardboard shrinkwrap deal. I'd love to hear if anybody has a solution to float a print, yet keep it off of the glass.
Thanks much
They do so much with just the notes that they have. I mean who does that? Who messes with that kind of stuff?
dougr
Site Admin

Fri May 13, 2005 8:56 am

attach it with japanese paper hinges to an acid-free backing, then use the spacers above to keep it off the glass?
Bakedbeens
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 13, 2005 1:59 pm

hmmmm, interesting. I hadn't thought of that. What were you thinking in terms of spacers?
They do so much with just the notes that they have. I mean who does that? Who messes with that kind of stuff?
dougr
Site Admin

Fri May 13, 2005 2:26 pm

Bakedbeens wrote:hmmmm, interesting. I hadn't thought of that. What were you thinking in terms of spacers?
for the smaller pieces the smallest thickness would work. for larger ones, a bit thicker, and black (all my gigposter frames have been black so far). all available at the link above...
mr.headdamage
Art Enthusiast

Fri May 13, 2005 3:07 pm

I checked the website and saw the spacers ... this intrigues me, I'd like to see a photo of a displayed poster this way, I didn't see one there, any idea?
cushway
Art Connoisseur

Fri May 13, 2005 4:51 pm

I think we use spacers too---I'll try to check tomorrow.......P.