Best Place to Buy UV “Art Glass”?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Post Reply
suckittrebek
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:06 pm

Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:17 am

I need some help here. I’ve been trying to read up on old posts about the best way to protect the collection I’ve got on display, but when it comes to actually finding the stuff I need to buy I get tied in knots.

I’ve got multiple frames with standard, replaceable glass. I’d like to swap the standard glass out with a front that will protect the art from UV rays.

I just want to make sure I’m getting the right stuff. There are a lot of options out there with a lot of different price points. Though, I do seem to find that 24”x36” glass seems kinda rare at a lot of the places I’ve looked.

Any help with vendors that you use or things to look for would be VERY helpful.

Thanks!
User avatar
jjttdw
Art Expert
Posts: 6958
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:44 pm

Michaels. Wait until you have a coupon
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
suckittrebek
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:06 pm

Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:36 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:44 pm
Michaels. Wait until you have a coupon
Thanks for chiming in! See, I looked at Michaels but I didn’t see anything on the shelf. Is it all custom order?
stuckeyc
Art Expert
Posts: 5415
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 1:00 am

Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:47 pm

You might be able to get uv non glare plexi at local building supply (not big box) . That's where I get mine and they cut it to size for me there if I need it. MUCH cheaper than frame shops if you are DIY
Image
User avatar
fdi1001
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:40 pm
Location: Dallas, TX
Contact:

Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:45 am

Although my company carries UV ArtGlass we only do up to 26x30 due to breakage in shipping, however we sell UV Acrylite acrylic up to 40x60 inches.
https://www.framedestination.com/framin ... rylic.html
I have heard we are less expensive than Michael's on some stuff even when you have there 50% off coupon.

Cheers, Mark
Frame Destination, Inc.
Picture Framing Blog
Facebook
LinkedIn
suckittrebek
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:06 pm

Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:04 am

fdi1001 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:45 am
Although my company carries UV ArtGlass we only do up to 26x30 due to breakage in shipping, however we sell UV Acrylite acrylic up to 40x60 inches.
https://www.framedestination.com/framin ... rylic.html
I have heard we are less expensive than Michael's on some stuff even when you have there 50% off coupon.

Cheers, Mark
Thanks, man. I’ll check it out. :D

But basically 100 bucks for a 24” x 36” UV plexiglass, oof! This is gonna get pricy! :P
User avatar
GoBluePanic
Art Expert
Posts: 2458
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:42 am

Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:05 pm

There are a number of people on Etsy that sell sheets of conservation and museum grade glass is standard sizes or custom cut. Most reasonably priced. I've replaced glass on a number of prints this way.
I'm not someone else.
suckittrebek
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:06 pm

Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:11 pm

GoBluePanic wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:05 pm
There are a number of people on Etsy that sell sheets of conservation and museum grade glass is standard sizes or custom cut. Most reasonably priced. I've replaced glass on a number of prints this way.
Appreciate the suggestion, I'll check it out!
User avatar
Irishman12
Art Expert
Posts: 3144
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: The Villa Quatro

Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:55 pm

Hobby Lobby offers it
User avatar
Thinker
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:42 pm

Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:52 am

suckittrebek wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:04 am
fdi1001 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:45 am
Although my company carries UV ArtGlass we only do up to 26x30 due to breakage in shipping, however we sell UV Acrylite acrylic up to 40x60 inches.
https://www.framedestination.com/framin ... rylic.html
I have heard we are less expensive than Michael's on some stuff even when you have there 50% off coupon.

Cheers, Mark
Thanks, man. I’ll check it out. :D

But basically 100 bucks for a 24” x 36” UV plexiglass, oof! This is gonna get pricy! :P
I just recently made a large purchase with Frame Destination. Buying multiple custom cut UV/Non-glare Acrylic, backing, custom cut frames and spacers. I have to say I could not be happier with their service, quality and overall experience.
User avatar
theperfecttree
EB Team
Posts: 10620
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:04 am
Location: Austin, TX

Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:53 pm

I've bought from Frame Destination and American Frame in the past. Would highly recommend both.
User avatar
electrachrome
Site Admin
Posts: 18119
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Boston

Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:04 pm

I'll third the FrameDestination.com recommendation. I've been using them for my DIY framing for like 10 years. They are having a moving sale on framing supplies like corners, mounting strips, clear storage bags & other stuff.
suckittrebek
Art Enthusiast
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:06 pm

Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:10 pm

Checking FrameDestination.com out now!

Which pieces did you get? I'm looking at the UV Filter Acrylic 1/10 inch: https://www.framedestination.com/framin ... rylic.html

I should be able to swap the glass I have in the frames out with this stuff no problem, right?
Post Reply