Insuring a lot of silkscreen prints?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Post Reply
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:00 pm
Location: uk

Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:49 am

Hi Good morning all....

I was wondering if any one has any advice on insuring a large collection of silkscreen prints.

I'm an artist and printmaker and run a very small silkscreen print studio in the city of Leeds in the uk.

Its mostly abstract work that i produce these days much of which is heavily inspired by sound. Over the last 13 years or so i've been exploring various multi-layer print processes and have built up quite a large collection of prints. I sell a number of these online during the course of each month which enables me to keep the studio running and keep on developing new print releases. I dont sell my work for crazy amounts of money or anything like that but gradually as i've started make more limited edition pieces in recent history some of these prints are selling for more money when i connect with the right buyers.

The reason i'm asking is the living space thats siuated above me nearly flooded the other month. Someone had left the taps on and the sink had started to overflow, fortunately no water actually made it though the ceiling into my studio as i rushed out to the above property and got them to turn off all the water but a few droplets had started to form on the ceiling in my studio so i was very lucky to be working at the time and spotted it before anything unspeakable happened..... The ceiling was wiped with a cloth and everything was ok but It put the fear of god into me and got me thinking about the possibility of insuring the work i've made so far.......

Does anyone have any advice on what i could do to cover the work with some kind of insurance policy?

Any help would be very much appreciated


Damon - Glass Siren Studio
User avatar
Art Expert
Posts: 6958
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:07 am

An interesting question and one that is a bit different. I've used a scheduled items policy for my collection in the past but I think your answer is with a commercial insurance policy. Through that policy you should be able to insure your finished goods, work in process, etc. Water damage is an easy loss to prove since everything is just wet and can still be counted. Fire is a different story. With fire, the prints, screens....everything is gone. Once you have the policy make sure you have an inventory that you keep up to date and email to yourself.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
User avatar
New User
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:15 am

Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:29 am

The best way to insure this is through a Business Owners Policy (BOP) or something similar. You would add the coverage under Business Personal Property. The is the same coverage that you would inusure anything that is not bolted down to the building. The only thing that I would check with your local agent is if overflowing of a sink/toilet is covered. But your stock/inventory should be easy to cover on a blanket basis.
Post Reply