Flattening a Print Stored in a Tube

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
fdi1001
Art Connoisseur

Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:45 am

Frame Destination, Inc.
Picture Framing Blog
Facebook
LinkedIn
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:07 am

bubbie wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:15 pm
eBay buy, probably. There is tons of listings that have photos of 10 year old (10 as an example) prints that look like they are lifting the books or other fairly heavy weights used to hold them “flat” for those photos. Would never buy one of those unless I thought it was an extremely good deal. Also, I always get a kick out of the photos of curled up prints hold in place by weights and sellers claiming they have been stored flat since arrival.
Usually these are listed as "Mint, stored in tube since purchase."
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
turnJBup
Art Freak

Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:33 pm

I see those people and cringe.
“ absolute mint condition... only taken out of the tube once for pictures! “
Donkeys....
guryter
Art Expert

Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:50 pm

I confess I've taken pics of a print as I received it, put it in foamcore to flatten, stored it, and then was to lazy to take it out for an ebay listing. If it's a banger, obvi I get motivated, but for a ~$100 print, eh.
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
john38103 wrote:All gin every thing. drymount all you hoes.
Relax, I honestly don't give a fudge.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:18 pm

At least the fudge was stored flat tho.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
guryter
Art Expert

Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:45 pm

Yeah no doubt. Untube, relax, flatten, store.
Stingers wrote:If you can't get it up eat less fudge, excersise and stop being a kitten.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:13 pm

guryter wrote:
I confess I've taken pics of a print as I received it, put it in foamcore to flatten, stored it, and then was to lazy to take it out for an ebay listing. If it's a banger, obvi I get motivated, but for a ~$100 print, eh.
Same here, pics are usually taken first before the relax, flatten, and storage stages.

Anyone ever used that deroller thing linked above?
haven
Art Expert

Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:39 pm

I did a reverse curl once for a print that wouldn't flatten. It had clearly been tube stored for years, several weeks of flattening and it would still roll right up.

Reverse rolled it back into a tube for about 3 months and it's been perfectly flat ever since.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:41 pm

ygolohcysp wrote:
guryter wrote:
Same here, pics are usually taken first before the relax, flatten, and storage stages.

Anyone ever used that deroller thing linked above?
Not me. Why spend $300 when 8 of Sue's bags to weigh down the print cost $20.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:59 pm

haven wrote:
I did a reverse curl once for a print that wouldn't flatten. It had clearly been tube stored for years, several weeks of flattening and it would still roll right up.

Reverse rolled it back into a tube for about 3 months and it's been perfectly flat ever since.
I've neva reverse rolled anything, but there's some prints I bought that weren't even in a tube for very long but were rolled super tight. I've been trying to get them to flatten for years. Might have to try the reverse.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
bubbie
Art Expert

Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:21 pm

I did it twice. One worked out pretty great. The other not so well because the ink cracked. I was expecting it to happen though and didn’t care. It was a litho on thick kind of semi-gloss, for the lack of a better word, paper. The crack was tiny, but it looked like you could peel the whole layer of ink starting at that point if you tried, lol. I didn’t try.

I am currently having trouble with Sperry’s Our Future litho that was mistakenly left in the tube for a few weeks. That sucker just wouldn’t flatten. Definitely wouldn’t roll that one backwards though; it looks like a perfect candidate for ink cracking.
haven
Art Expert

Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:26 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:59 pm
haven wrote:

I've neva reverse rolled anything, but there's some prints I bought that weren't even in a tube for very long but were rolled super tight. I've been trying to get them to flatten for years. Might have to try the reverse.
This is why I don’t like when people use a 3 inch tube and roll the print smaller than the diameter. I’ve received too many of these where the print is rolled far tighter than the paper should be.
bubbie
Art Expert

Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:27 pm

^ Absolutely.

ygolohcysp wrote:
guryter wrote:
If either of you provided me with a pic like that you took back when you received that print 8 years ago, I would say

And I’d be right every time.
ygolohcysp
Art Expert

Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:21 pm

8 years? my in and out is more like immediately or 6 months to a year. I don't store anything rolled. But yeah after 8 years I would want a new pic too :D
guryter
Art Expert

Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:56 pm

If you want an actual picture of a sub $100 print that's 8 years old on a site that is frequented by a small group of people that basically only talk to each other, well then, move down the list.

Or I'd just take it out and send you a pic, whatever.