Thanks FedEx - A test on saving a print

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
jjttdw
Art Expert

Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:53 pm

A few months ago I bought Print and Destroy off eBay. It was a decent price for a print I'd wanted for a while. The seller was a guy who had owned it for its entire life and was ready to move it along. A week or so later, this showed up:

The punchline is where it read "DO NOT BEND OR CRUSH". The tube it was sent in was poor quality but I've had prints arrive safely in the same type of tube before. It looked like a cinnamon roll tube that had been cracked. FedEx wrapped the destroyed tube in tape to keep it together. Here is how the back looked the first time I took it out.

So the seller was not experienced is print shipping and thought he was doing a good job so I didn't give him fudge. He was also smart enough to insure it for the sale price + shipping. So I helped the guy out by taking photos and getting the claim filed. Due to the amount of the claim FedEx wanted the print/tube and came and picked it up. Seller refunded me and I thought that was the end of it. A month later the tube showed up at my door even more damaged. I dropped the seller a note and he said he didn't care if I kept it. Taking it out a second time showed more damage. Here is the back the second time.

Here is close up of how some of the damaged looked like from the front.

I've used Poster Mountain in the past and figured that I would see if they could put it in some sort of acceptable condition. It was either that or throw it away. When it is fixed I will post pics of the result and cost and you can decide for yourself whether it was worth it.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
kansasbbq
Art God

Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:57 pm

Total bummer!
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq
jjttdw
Art Expert

Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:13 pm

Now let see how much of a total bummer it was. To recap, print jacked up in transit, got a refund and the damaged print. So going in I am out $0. Lets look at the before and after. First, a couple close ups of a couple sections on the front::

Top edge before

size=150]Top edge after [/size]

Top middle before

Top middle after

Now the back...nowhere better to see how damaged the print actually as.

This is how it looks now from the back. The shaded areas are just where the inks are

Finally, here is a full view of the front now.

So here are the costs:

$15 - Shipping to Poster Mountain
$120 - Flattening
$60 - Return shipping (flat in a plywood sandwich)
______
$200 total cost all in

I've had this done to another Obey print, Rocka Rolla, which was 9" x 24". When it came back it was 9" x 24 3/8". I just checked Print and Destroy and it still measures 18" x 24" exactly.

Even if I sold it as a restored print I'd like to think that it would fetch at least $400. Anyone think less or more? I think it was a good investment.

Honestly, if I didn't have the option of flattening the print I might have just thrown it away. It is surprising to me what can be done to fix the damage on a print.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
Arterre
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:25 pm

Great!, Thanks for sharing that story. Impressive job, Did they give any clues how they did it ?
Perhaps a drymount press with the absolutely correct amount of moisture and heat ...wow, surprising :pint:
electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:29 pm

so no stamp or anything to indicate that it's been restored? there was talk about them looking into doing that years back.
electrachrome
Site Admin

Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:35 pm

Arterre wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:25 pm
Great!, Thanks for sharing that story. Impressive job, Did they give any clues how they did it ?
Perhaps a drymount press with the absolutely correct amount of moisture and heat ...wow, surprising
there was a process thread or how to (either here or on their web site).
wet print on glass & treat with a proprietary solution that strengthens the paper. it's some sort of gelatin or starch ...idk
downside is print cant really be rolled again (or shouldn't at the very least) and has to ship flat.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:43 pm

The paper does feel a little different and I do remember something about gelatin when I had Rocka Rolla done.

Nothing to indicate it was restored.

Its like it was starched and ironed by the hand of God.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:07 pm

#datdoublediptho
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
bubbie
Art Expert

Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:57 pm

Looks great and totally worth it. Thanks for the thread. Pretty impressive what they can do.

P. S. I am fortunate to have never seen a tube drymounted up this badly yet. What the drymount, really?
MaxCollinsII
Art Connoisseur

Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:36 pm

Don't EVER roll it again.
The Original Pure Hemp® Rolling Papers :ziggi: made in Spain, unlike some of our competitors
PartPat: "All of Eb is one big mondo joke really."
jamel-d
Art Freak

Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:46 pm

MaxCollinsII wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:36 pm
Don't EVER roll it again.
This
jjttdw
Art Expert

Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:57 am

Thanks for the no rolling advice. Have one of you done so and damaged a print?
Kramerica
Art Freak

Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:36 am

I don't have personal experience but do recall an incident that played out here or on fb where someone was sold a high value Stout that had been restored. The seller did not disclose the restoration to the buyer and the print arrived damaged from rolling it after it had been restored. It caused the ink to crinkle on the surface of the print or something like that IIRC.
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:30 am

Luls.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
kansasbbq
Art God

Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:56 am

jjttdw wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:57 am
Thanks for the no rolling advice. Have one of you done so and damaged a print?
Ask PM about it. That's why they shipped it back flat instead of in a tube.
Codeblue wrote:#whydidntilisten2kbbq