MDF Frames: Safe or not?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
lotr61671

Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:57 pm

Hello fellow poster heads!

I recently purchased some Belmont frames by Studio Decor during one of Michael's big online sales.
I have been using metal frames mostly during my time in this hobby and these would be my first MDF frames I use for anything.

I have been deciding whether or not I should use these frames as I have begun to hear some concerns over MDF material and safety.
My two questions:

1.) Are frames made with MDF un-safe to have in your home? I know that "off-gassing" does have limits and over a certain period of time the fumes in MDF will stop, but is it still safe to have in your home indefinitely?

2.) Even if the fumes are safe for indoor use, do the fumes/chemicals have any potential short or long-term effects on the art/posters being framed within? I know some other materials over time may tint the border of the art it touches and so forth...

Thank you for the help/insight!!!
fdi1001
Art Connoisseur

Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:08 pm

My frame company does not currently sell MDF frames so I cant speak directly on their general safety but I would assume any out gassing will be very minimal. MDF type products are used in all kinds of cabinets and furniture. However, wood products in general are acidic which is not ideal for long term archival framing. When framing with MDF or real wood picture frames an archival mat helps keep the art away from the wood, but if you want to be extra careful, or if you are not using a mat (but hopefully a spacer instead since you dont want the glass touching it either), you can use Lineco self-adhesive frame sealing tape.:

https://www.framedestination.com/framin ... issue.html
Frame Destination, Inc.
Picture Framing Blog
Facebook
LinkedIn