Shipping Fragile

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
bysleightofhand
Art Expert

Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:39 am

What good is it to tell the mail carrier something is fragile? I just shipped a framed handbill. After telling him I wanted it insured for some good money, he then stamps the box real hard 4 times. Seriously, is it even worth mentioning its fragile if they are gonna do stupid crap like that? Are they suppose to carry it any differently?
ColdSoreSuperstar
Art Expert

Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:54 am

bysleightofhand wrote:What good is it to tell the mail carrier something is fragile? I just shipped a framed handbill. After telling him I wanted it insured for some good money, he then stamps the box real hard 4 times. Seriously, is it even worth mentioning its fragile if they are gonna do stupid crap like that? Are they suppose to carry it any differently?
Write it on there yourself.

The more people act like anal nerds, the more a dude getting paid jack is going to step on your precious fudge.
not dead
triporfreak
Art Expert

Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:21 am

that's why i always pack for 'war', the worst case scenario, coz once u tell them it's fragile, that's the green light to man-handle it! & UPS is worse. i've had flatpacks with footprints all over them! :twisted:
freaksmeout
Art Expert

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:24 pm

bysleightofhand wrote:What good is it to tell the mail carrier something is fragile? I just shipped a framed handbill. After telling him I wanted it insured for some good money, he then stamps the box real hard 4 times. Seriously, is it even worth mentioning its fragile if they are gonna do stupid crap like that? Are they suppose to carry it any differently?
Damn, you should have farted on him,
arodri70
Art Expert

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:07 pm

WOW....fragile must be Italian
whyhoo
Art Expert

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:20 pm

arodri70 wrote:WOW....fragile must be Italian
HA!!! fra-gee-lay!!
pewter14
EB Team

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:32 pm

whyhoo wrote:
HA!!! fra-gee-lay!!
arodri70
Art Expert

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:18 pm

pewter14 wrote:
whyhoo wrote:
HA!!! fra-gee-lay!!
love it.....24 hours of christmas story starting on the 24th....watch it every year
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:21 pm

Do you actually think they read it ? Freaking joke.............. I worked in the USPS when I was in college. They throw packages around, toss them to each other, laugh about dropping them........

Your wasting your time- spend the time of packaging it
bysleightofhand
Art Expert

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:23 pm

I packed it well...hell i placed it one box and then placed that in a bigger. But I was just curious if they treated it any differently if ya said fragile. Based on what's been said, I gather it isn't.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:15 pm

bysleightofhand wrote:I packed it well...hell i placed it one box and then placed that in a bigger. But I was just curious if they treated it any differently if ya said fragile. Based on what's been said, I gather it isn't.
I am always leary of "double boxing"- make sure there is support, newspaper ect, between the boxes.

From my experiences, I dont like when folks put tubes in boxes. It causes the package to go into the USPS boxed packages, which are heavy and usually get crushed.

If a good solid tube is used- its about as good as it gets, and less risky, for tubes are handled separately than boxed packages.
AstroFan
Art Enthusiast

Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:51 pm

bysleightofhand wrote:I packed it well...hell i placed it one box and then placed that in a bigger. But I was just curious if they treated it any differently if ya said fragile. Based on what's been said, I gather it isn't.
2 of the last 5 tubes I have received from USPS have had big dents in them.

The 2 damaged tubes had no stickers on them.
2/3 of the tubes that came in good shape had "Fragile" and/or "Do Not Crush" stickers on them.

Could just be weird luck, but off the top of my head, I can't remember receiving a damaged tube if there was a note on it.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:05 pm

"Do not bend? (laughs) Just 'crease, crumple, cram'; you'll do fine." - Newman
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
DeltaSigChi4
Flipper

Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:45 pm

I worked for UPS when I was going to school, and it's not that we specifically want to damage your packages, it's that the frustration mounts when dealing with so much fudge, and pressure to keep your traffic high, and all that jazz. I threw packages. I smashed them against the trailer floor. I threw them towards the trailer ceiling. I once kicked a package so hard, I hurt my foot . Maybe if they paid more, and treated their employees like human beings, they wouldn't have to suffer such misbehaviour among their prole ranks. And all tubes are thrown. Usually from the trailer all the way to the [irreg] belt which is some distance. No exceptions.*

E

*Wait, there is an exception. If it's the last thing in your trailer, you might walk it to the belt, because you're too tired to throw it, and you're tired from killing the trailer anyway. But otherwise, they are thrown violently.

P.S. There is no point in arguing with me, or accusing me of personally ruining your print from a few years back. I really don't care. That's the point. We were worked too hard and paid too little to care. You stop carrying as a new hire, on your first day, within the first couple of hours.
triporfreak
Art Expert

Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:50 pm

that's interesting. my son applied for part-time work & i was warned by my local UPS guy that he wouldn't last. he confirmed noobs are treated like shite & u r worked real hard with few breaks. not good for morale!