ISO 24x36 Acid Free Portfolios

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:24 pm

"Holds art up to 24" x 36" with a snug fit to prevent damage in storage."....is that code for you won't be able to get your prints into the sleeves?
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
bubbie
Art Expert

Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:55 pm

Mtrail says just above that they are a bit oversized. Still hesitant to buy because I have one of the “ain’t no way I am going to try and fit a poster in here”.
tourist504
Art Expert

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:07 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:24 pm
"Holds art up to 24" x 36" with a snug fit to prevent damage in storage."....is that code for you won't be able to get your prints into the sleeves?
Scroll down a bit and they also mention that each page has an extra quarter-inch of space. Sold - in for one.
maden wrote:I would like to see a 16"+ diameter tube.
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
jordachep wrote::drool: Can't believe the size. I want this so bad.
Imagex6
tourist504
Art Expert

Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:09 pm

Also 130 + free shipping - That's not bad....
BlakeAronson wrote:This one is just big enough, but not too overwhelming in size.
Imagex6
bubbie
Art Expert

Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:46 am

Thanks for mentioning it. I didn’t see that part.

Please post your feedback when you get it. I will be in for one, maybe even two, if it is what it says it is.
mtarail
Art Expert

Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:27 am

I got my portfolios last week. Art Vault made some changes to the earlier version of them, imo not for the better. Mainly, the binder rings in these portfolios are now "openable". Quality wise, that makes them really similar to the 24 x 36 portfolio cases that have been floating around art supply stores for years (in fact, these look nearly identical), and it re-creates my biggest pet peeve with those old portfolio cases, which was the sleeves frequently falling out of the binder rings when you turn the sleeves. I haven't tried putting a 24 x 36 print in the sleeve to confirm that size-wise, the sleeves are still slightly oversized, like the 1st version of the art vault portfolios were. I'll report back after trying that.
jvwoodford
Art Connoisseur

Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:01 pm

When my collection started getting serious I bought 20 x 3mm thick Mylar sleeves (10 x 24x36", 10 x 18x24") from a US based retailer but then I found it such a hassle to find somewhere to store them flat without a flat file in a pretty small apartment. The other problem is that because they are a glossy, smooth texture, my fingerprints would often transfer to the opening edge when inserting prints or removing them, so I would routinely wipe them away with a anti-static cloth, fearing that they might transfer onto the print.

So anyway last year I bought a 24x36" Baroque portfolio and it has been a godsend. I can just lay it under a coffee table or put it inside the large carry case I have and rest that on my unused dining table knowing that the prints are safely stored and protected. I've never encountered issues sliding prints into the sleeves, in fact I had more of an issue inserting them into the Mylar sleeves (tricky when you don't have them secured in place). They always sit a half inch from the top opening of the sleeves with a few millimetre clearance either side, I prefer this to having a lot of space where they can slide around. Also the sleeves are a slightly textured, soft finish, so no issue with oily fingerprints adorning the inside edges.

The only criticism I have is regarding the ring binders: they aren't especially strong, never quite clamping absolutely tight. This leaves me a little concerned about filling them to maximum capacity (by adding an extra 20 sleeves) just in case the extra weight causes them to unclamp if the portfolio is clumsily handled or flipped over accidentally (I need to label the right side with stickers).

I bought the 18x24" version a couple weeks ago and I already have it here in the UK so I cannot fault the service at all (not surprising considering the Bottleneck gallery team handle this, they are always on point). It is every bit as impressive as the 24x36" version although the ring binder concern is still relevant.

The great thing is now I have these separate heavy duty Mylar sleeves that I can use to separate the prints I want to use as gifts or for trades/sales, and keep the 'forever' prints inside the portfolios. I can store the smaller portfolio under a coffee table and keep the individual sleeves and large portfolio inside my carry case, sacrificing my dining table in the process. This works for me until I move into a bigger home with space for a flat file.
tourist504
Art Expert

Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:24 pm

I ordered mine on Thursday and it arrived early Saturday afternoon - that was some really quick free shipping!

Haven't opened the box yet tho...
Imagex6
poartcol
Art Enthusiast

Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:26 pm

Do they send a tracking number or shipping email or just send it? I ordered one a few days ago but may be on vacation so wanted to see if I can estimate the arrival.
mtarail
Art Expert

Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:15 pm

I popped a 24 x 36 Mondo poster into the artvault sleeves, and they're great. Just as advertised, they are just slightly oversized for 24 x 36 prints, so you don't have to wrestle to get prints into the sleeves.

Also, i contacted the owner at artvault regarding the new, binder style cases. He agreed with me that the prior version of his cases (which weren't built to add or remove sleeves) were a bit nicer than the current version. He said he was looking for suppliers that could make more of those versions of his cases at the right price.

While I wish artvault's new cases were different they're still a great deal, and much better than the presentation cases that I was previously buying from dickblick art supplies.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:23 pm

Why haven't ya tried the one's bottleneck (baroque) sells? Is it cuz ya don't trust the clamping mechanism?
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
mtarail
Art Expert

Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:57 pm

Codeblue wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:23 pm
Why haven't ya tried the one's bottleneck (baroque) sells? Is it cuz ya don't trust the clamping mechanism?
I hadn't heard of the baroque ones. I definitely would prefer artvault's old cases, although their new ones look pretty much identical to baroque's. I'm not a fan of those open-able binder rings.
tourist504
Art Expert

Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:19 am

tourist504 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:24 pm
I ordered mine on Thursday and it arrived early Saturday afternoon - that was some really quick free shipping!

Haven't opened the box yet tho...
I finally opened the box and started loading this thing with 24x36 prints and WOW. Super happy. That extra space makes a lot of difference in terms of ease of use. Loading the pages was a pain in the ass and the clamping mechanism isn't quite as strong as I'd like, but the handle and sides are very sturdy. I may buy another one.
Imagex6
rogue3ky
New User

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:14 am

In case anyone wants more information about the Baroque Portfolios version, here is a complete review (of the 27x41 release)
https://www.jeditemplearchives.com/cont ... ent&id=149

Hope this helps!
jjttdw
Art Expert

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:05 am

Ok, not 24x36 question but does anyone have a suggestion as to an 18x24 portfolio that has a little extra room? I have a couple where the prints don't quite fit.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart