ISO 24x36 Acid Free Portfolios

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:33 pm

No code. Storage sleeves don't have the holes punched out to fit into the rings of the binder. Why would there be sleeves that you can't put prints in?
jeffgriz
Art Connoisseur

Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:45 pm

I have an Itoya portfolio for my 24x36 prints with 20 sleeves. I'm not an avid collector so I only have 16 of them filled on the front side, but I am getting close to maxing it out. It says on their website that you can put prints on both sides of the divider to get a maximum of 40 in the portfolio. This might be a totally dumb question, but is this okay to do? Any chance of cross contamination with different kinds of paper and ink in the same sleeve, or getting waves or ripples from different paper thickness? I think I'm just being paranoid but I thought I'd make sure with other people that have done this before. Thank you!
Last edited by jeffgriz on Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
mtarail
Art Expert

Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:42 pm

Short answer is no. Itoya portfolios are archival quality and the paper divider is acid free. Some of my prints and posters have been stored in Itoya portfolios for 10+ years, and when you remove them, they look just like when you put them in. Having said that, if this is a paranoia thing for you, and you have the room, you could always buy a second portfolio and keep storing one print to a sleeve.
jeffgriz
Art Connoisseur

Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:37 am

Cheers for the response. I've been wanting to get another portfolio anyway, but it's good to have options in the meantime. Just for organizational purposes, I'd really like to match regulars and variants on the same page. It is much appreciated!
koufax1791
New User

Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:56 pm

Would appreciate help from the experts here for a newbie before I mess things up...

I have some photos 16 x 20 that i want to store properly. These are signed by athletes with sharpie pens and therefore hopefully will be valuable some day.

I also have some giclee prints 16 x 20, also signed by athletes with sharpies.

Until now they have been rolled up inside tubes and are in great condition.

So I want to take them out of the tubes and store them in archival acid free sleeves.

I have been advised to use Clear File Archival Plus print protectors. These are "archival, acid free, no PVC and high clarity polypropylene". Then I was advised I could insert them inside a Toploader rigid plastic PVC sleeve. They indicated once inside the Clear File archival plus acid free plastic sleeve, they would be safe inside the Toploader. This was told me to me by the owner of the commercial high quality photo lab where the prints and giclee's were originally made from the negatives.

So is this the opinion of those more informed than I, a proper way to store these items?

I have seen on this forum people using Baroque Archival & Acid-Free Print Protector Storage Sleeves. Would these be better to use instead of the Clear File Archival Plus print protector sleeves? And if so, can I insert the prints inside the Baroque sleeves and then insert them inside the Toploader rigid PVC sleeves?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice any of the forum users can provide....Much appreciated !!!!
bubbie
Art Expert

Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:51 pm

koufax1791 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:56 pm
Until now they have been rolled up inside tubes and are in great condition.
Depending on the type of paper and the length of time you held them in tubes, great condition is not necessarily the case.

If it is all “newer” photos and prints, any of your mentioned methods will be fine.
mtarail
Art Expert

Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:26 pm

I'm going to make another plug for the 24 x 36 portfolios that vault displays makes. They recently announced that they went back to producing these sleeves so that the binder doesn't open or close. (Like an Itoya 18 x 24). I've been storing my 24 x 36 posters in portfolios for over 10 years now, and this current edition of the vault portfolio is the best I've used. Because the binder rings don't open, it's not a struggle to turn the pages of the portfolio, or have pages that fall out of the binder rings. This new edition has at least 1/4" of space to spare in the sleeves on each side, when putting a full-sized 24 x 36 print in, so it's actually less stress getting a 24 x 36 into this than getting a full sized 18 x 24 into an Itoya 18 x 24. I've already bought a bunch of these so I can phase out my old portfolios and transition all of my larger prints into these. I'm feeling a little like Tom Sellick peddling reverse mortgages now, but if you're in the market, I'd recommend trying one out.

https://vaultdisplays.com/products/24-x-36-portfolio
golobulus
Art Expert

Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:20 pm

Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered one of these and I'm going to try it out. My flat files are filling up and I'm going to use this portfolio as my framing "queue" for prints that are in line to get framed.
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:23 am

I just bought a 13x19 from Vaultdisplays per your recommendation. I can't wait to fit my small prints in it. I had no clue a small size like this existed.
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:07 pm

Baroque are much better portfolios. This vault display one is nice, I mainly bought it for the smaller size that Baroque doesn't offer. But Baroque makes much better portfolios.
belltown
Art Connoisseur

Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:06 pm

A few years back I bought a Baroque 24 x 36 because I could add sleeves to it, which I did. I've mostly be happy with it, but I never needed the carrying strap, the sleeves were not much bigger than 24 x 36, and one of the zipper pull tabs broke. Inexplicably, one of the sleeves also developed a tear, not at the open end but near a sealed edge, which seemed kinda random. So, I recently bought a Vault, even though it is not expandable. It arrived in just a couple of days. As advertised, the sleeves are a tad bigger than 24 x 36, which is important for posters like the Soto/Stout Pearl Jam collaboration, and the plastic feels slightly thicker, although that could be my imagination. The portfolio also includes two single sheets of fairly heavy frosted or matte plastic, I guess to add just that much more protection to whatever is stored in the outside sleeves. My only complaint is that the case itself is not padded on the outside or as rigid as the Baroque, which means I would not take the Vault to a poster show. And if your storage solution is as primitive as mine (portfolios leaning against a wall, zipper side down), the Vault needs to be sandwiched between other stiffer portfolios like the Baroque.
pmb6667

Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:15 pm

Does anyone know how long a wait is for Pre-orders when you order the month before the ship date? Have you had yours shipped later than the stated ship date?

I'd pre-ordered a 27x41 Baroque portfolio on March 11 (site said 'ships April'), so does that mean they ship at end of April? My order is still 'unfulfilled' as of now, on April 30, so I'm not sure if they're shipping the 'April' batch in May instead?

This is my first time ordering form them, so I'm not sure how their pre-order timing is.
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 02, 2021 2:21 am

Their order time is weird. I think it means they will ship it April (or May if they're busy),

Last one I bought one it took I think an extra month to receive it. I believe they get very very busy with the influx of orders.

You'll be happy with it.
acidburn
Art Daddy

Sun May 02, 2021 8:03 am

fantasticninja wrote:
Their order time is weird. I think it means they will ship it April (or May if they're busy),

Last one I bought one it took I think an extra month to receive it. I believe they get very very busy with the influx of orders.

You'll be happy with it.
Its honestly customs + ports. Want to say for the last 6 month it's hasn't been the best. Usually tacks on another month or two.
fantasticninja
Art Connoisseur

Sun May 02, 2021 11:04 am

acidburn wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 8:03 am
fantasticninja wrote:

You'll be happy with it.
Its honestly customs + ports. Want to say for the last 6 month it's hasn't been the best. Usually tacks on another month or two.
It's been over a year I think since I got my 18x24 portfolio, shipping wasn't bad. When I got the 24x36 shipping was on point. You all even hooked up up when some sleeves came partially torn from the rings. Great portfolios :pint: