ISO 24x36 Acid Free Portfolios

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
hillsj2001
Art Expert

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:01 pm

Nemesis01 wrote:God shipping to canada is friggen nuts from ASW....are there really no Canadian sellers of these cases? Don't know why its so hard to find certain things in Canada sometimes what is this a 3rd world country up here? lol

i have heard a lot of people say that...wonder if it is any cheaper to have it shipped to a friend in the states and then have them ship it to you...sometimes (not always) that helps
aldo
Art Expert

Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:49 pm

I don't think anything will ever match the groupon deal from last year at jerry's. $100 groupon gets you $200 to spend. Plus a coupon also worked. Could have gotten a 24x36 for like $83 or something. Still upset I missed it :(
Guiloo
Art Connoisseur

Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:53 am

hillsj2001 wrote:
Nemesis01 wrote:God shipping to canada is friggen nuts from ASW....are there really no Canadian sellers of these cases? Don't know why its so hard to find certain things in Canada sometimes what is this a 3rd world country up here? lol

i have heard a lot of people say that...wonder if it is any cheaper to have it shipped to a friend in the states and then have them ship it to you...sometimes (not always) that helps
Should be cheaper to have it from a friend from the US. ASW shipping is free in US and from US to France, via USP, it is 90$ (whitout custom fee).
FestaUK
Art Expert

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:59 am

Thanks for all the information, very useful.
aivc
Art Expert

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:51 am

My request might be special, but here goes :

I'm looking for a portfolio for 24x36 prints, but the only time I will use it will be for transportation. Let me explain.

I'm going to college in the US, but my home is in Belgium where I have my collection, where I actually hang and frame stuff. So I buy prints during school year, than when it's time to go back, I need something to transport all my prints back.

What do you guys think it the safest and the cheapest way to go about this ? Thanks
aibohphobia wrote:Maybe, but either way you get some cred for joining on 4-20 at 4:20. Nexus of the Universe.
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:00 am

aivc wrote:My request might be special, but here goes :

I'm looking for a portfolio for 24x36 prints, but the only time I will use it will be for transportation. Let me explain.

I'm going to college in the US, but my home is in Belgium where I have my collection, where I actually hang and frame stuff. So I buy prints during school year, than when it's time to go back, I need something to transport all my prints back.

What do you guys think it the safest and the cheapest way to go about this ? Thanks
Assuming you don't have a huge number of prints to take back, wouldn't it be easier to just use a PVC tube or two? If you don't use huge pieces of PVC, you can probably even carry them on the plane, so they won't even be out of your sight. I'd be very nervous about checking any sort of portfolio. The picturesque 24 x 36 is definitely not enough protection to entrust to baggage handlers ...
T.H.C.
jbofctu
Art Expert

Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:01 am

I just got a flat file, so my 24x36 picturesque is not needed any more. Only used it for a little over a year. Has 24 or 25 (may have lost one) 24x36 sheets in it.

Anyone in the LA area looking for one. Or in Austin? I am driving to austin for sxsw.
Guiloo
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:45 am

SurfingJeff wrote:
aivc wrote:My request might be special, but here goes :

Assuming you don't have a huge number of prints to take back, wouldn't it be easier to just use a PVC tube or two? If you don't use huge pieces of PVC, you can probably even carry them on the plane, so they won't even be out of your sight. I'd be very nervous about checking any sort of portfolio. The picturesque 24 x 36 is definitely not enough protection to entrust to baggage handlers ...

My sister-in-law brought back a PVC tube from the US to France. She was allowed to have it with her into the plane.

I agree with SurfingJeff, I definitly recommend to use a tube for transportation in this case.
aivc
Art Expert

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:15 pm

That what my first idea as well, PVC Tube. How many prints do you guys think I could fit in one Tube ? That's really my only concern with this option, since I think I might have 10 to 15 prints to transport by the time I go back.
aibohphobia wrote:Maybe, but either way you get some cred for joining on 4-20 at 4:20. Nexus of the Universe.
Cragars
Art Expert

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:25 pm

aivc wrote:That what my first idea as well, PVC Tube. How many prints do you guys think I could fit in one Tube ? That's really my only concern with this option, since I think I might have 10 to 15 prints to transport by the time I go back.
PVC I find around here comes with 4" diameter so to be safe you could spread out 15 prints in three tubes, that's pushing it though.
aivc
Art Expert

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:46 pm

Cragars wrote:
aivc wrote:That what my first idea as well, PVC Tube. How many prints do you guys think I could fit in one Tube ? That's really my only concern with this option, since I think I might have 10 to 15 prints to transport by the time I go back.
PVC I find around here comes with 4" diameter so to be safe you could spread out 15 prints in three tubes, that's pushing it though.
Yeah, that's what I though. I don't think 3 big PVC Tubes on a airplane will be ok.
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:56 pm

aivc wrote:
Cragars wrote:
Yeah, that's what I though. I don't think 3 big PVC Tubes on a airplane will be ok.
Depending on the size of your suit-case, you might be able to fit them inside and check - especially a large duffle bag or something. I'd guess that's still a lot safer than trying to check a portfolio.
T.H.C.
DrewJ

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:58 pm

Hi guys, a lot of interesting reading here. I have a quick question. Might be a stupid one-

When looking for a Portfolio to store 24''x36'' prints, is it okay to buy a 24''x36'' portfolio or should I go a little bigger so there is wiggle room? OR, when a portfolio is called 24x36, are they saying that it s meant to hold 24x36 but itself, as a portfolio, is actually bigger?

Does that make sense?
GatorsCanes
Art Expert

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:01 pm

DrewJ wrote:Hi guys, a lot of interesting reading here. I have a quick question. Might be a stupid one-

When looking for a Portfolio to store 24''x36'' prints, is it okay to buy a 24''x36'' portfolio or should I go a little bigger so there is wiggle room? OR, when a portfolio is called 24x36, are they saying that it s meant to hold 24x36 but itself, as a portfolio, is actually bigger?

Does that make sense?
I have a 24''x36'' portfolio. There's a little bit of wiggle room in the sleeve, but it is not a lot. I found as long as the print is flat enough, and you are patient while putting it in the sleeve then you should be ok. Just to reiterate the sleeve is slightly bigger than 24''x36''
NEVER PAY VIA PAYPAL GIFT. NEVER PAY FRIENDS/FAMILY. PAY THE FEES YOURSELF, THE 3% IS WORTH IT TO NOT BE SCAMMED
DrewJ

Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:10 pm

Thanks. I'm a having a really hard time with this. I've read back on all the comments and I'm just new to the whole thing so I apologize.

This one seems like a great option for me at $43 - http://www.dickblick.com/items/15040-2005/

Can someone explain to me why this would be $43 while others are $100 or $200? This one seems to be Acid Free and good. AM I missing something? I really just need something that works good for storing under my bed or in a closet, no travelling needed except for the occasions when I move apartments.