UV Plexi needed if the print is away from natural light?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
Post Reply
User avatar
Navinabob
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:38 pm

Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:58 pm

Just curious what people's thoughts are on UV plexi if the print won't ever get any sort of natural light on it. Heck, it won't even get any sort of direct artificial light on it. Are there other protection benefits or is it safe to ditch it?

I'm leaning towards "better safe than sorry", but it'd mean I can frame up two prints instead only one within my monthly budget, so that's what prompted my question. Thoughts?
User avatar
PLUSH
Art Expert
Posts: 7200
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:43 pm
Location: TEXAS

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:00 pm

Navinabob wrote:the print won't ever get any sort of natural light on it. Heck, it won't even get any sort of direct artificial light on it.
What, is it in your flatfile?
User avatar
ErocAfellar
Art Expert
Posts: 4508
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:25 pm

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:06 pm

glow in the dark?
HappaHaoli wrote:That is freaking Eroctic!
User avatar
Navinabob
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:38 pm

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:32 pm

PLUSH wrote:
Navinabob wrote:the print won't ever get any sort of natural light on it. Heck, it won't even get any sort of direct artificial light on it.
What, is it in your flatfile?
It's home will be on a wall that has lighting coming down from the ceiling and pointing towards the ground. The fixture itself is about 6 feet from the walls. So the light that it'll get will be indirect if that makes any sense?

And no, not a glow-in-the-dark print.
User avatar
jamesgunter
Art Expert
Posts: 5239
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Birmingham, Al
Contact:

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:46 pm

unless you use LED lighting (and have no outside light) you still need it...
User avatar
PLUSH
Art Expert
Posts: 7200
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:43 pm
Location: TEXAS

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:49 pm

always go with UV protection unless it is some really cheap print that you can replace later for cheap. But I would still go with it.
User avatar
Navinabob
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 433
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:38 pm

Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:56 pm

Thanks guys, I'm going with the protection option as suggested.
User avatar
aldo
Art Expert
Posts: 2043
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:04 pm

Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:52 pm

If you are looking for some LEDs, http://earthled.com/ is having a sale right now.
User avatar
jamesgunter
Art Expert
Posts: 5239
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Birmingham, Al
Contact:

Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:59 pm

my problem with LED light is its not anywhere near a natural looking light... im sure the bulbs will get better but the ones i have now almost have a green glow to the light
User avatar
xangelx
Art Expert
Posts: 2345
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:42 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY - Top of the food chain!

Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:05 pm

My solution is to keep my prints in a flat file and only look at them in a pitch black room while wearing night vision goggles.

Better safe than sorry amirite?
"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion
User avatar
mnelson
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:17 am
Location: NC

Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:19 pm

The night vision goggles really make the color in your prints POP!
User avatar
FramerDave
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 355
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:25 pm
Location: Houston

Wed May 07, 2014 10:28 pm

jamesgunter wrote:my problem with LED light is its not anywhere near a natural looking light... im sure the bulbs will get better but the ones i have now almost have a green glow to the light
The 2700 K bulbs have a warm light that's nearly identical to the warm white of incandescents.
User avatar
Timbrh2001
Art Expert
Posts: 8416
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 9:49 pm
Location: 'Merica

Wed May 07, 2014 10:41 pm

FramerDave wrote:
jamesgunter wrote:my problem with LED light is its not anywhere near a natural looking light... im sure the bulbs will get better but the ones i have now almost have a green glow to the light
The 2700 K bulbs have a warm light that's nearly identical to the warm white of incandescents.
Sweet, wife just bought me about $300 worth of these for my basement.
User avatar
Timbrh2001
Art Expert
Posts: 8416
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 9:49 pm
Location: 'Merica

Mon May 12, 2014 4:52 pm

Just put up all my LED lights in my basement. Personally don't notice any difference in lighting quality between the LEDs and the regular floods I had in there before. I will say that even though they're dimmable, the low range in which they're able to dim to, is not nearly as low (hope this makes sense) as the regulars.
Post Reply