My newest flat file - can it be restored?

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
comical_imbalance
Art Expert

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:30 am

DonPiano wrote:I tend to put kraft > print > glassine > repeat. As far as I understand it's best to have something separating the prints. Even if it's just glassine > print > glassine at least it'll be enough. That said, if you spring the money and buy some mylar sleeves you'll be set and not need them. It is bloody expensive in Australia though.

Also, as far as I understand it's best to keep the same sized prints together. So no thin prints on top of your 24x36's.

The problem I've got at the moment is deciding whether I keep these things in the drawers or not:

If I take them out, then the screws for the handles are too long and the handles stick out. I keep them in and they become tedious when looking through my prints.
Was just working on mine and was wondering the exact same thing...
"Will you tell me what you saw and I'll tell you what you missed"
DonPiano
Art Expert

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:32 am

I spent ages at Bunnings last night looking at screws. Couldn't figure out the right ones to get to make sure they were short enough. Ended up buying a pack of snap off bolts and will hopefully be able to grind them down to the right length.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.
wottagunn
Art Expert

Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:33 pm

DonPiano wrote:I tend to put kraft > print > glassine > repeat. As far as I understand it's best to have something separating the prints. Even if it's just glassine > print > glassine at least it'll be enough. That said, if you spring the money and buy some mylar sleeves you'll be set and not need them. It is bloody expensive in Australia though.
You’re not wrong here. I checked out the possibility of getting bags for the prints, but the cost was drymounting mental.
The glassine still annoys me though.

DonPiano wrote:The problem I've got at the moment is deciding whether I keep these things in the drawers or not:

If I take them out, then the screws for the handles are too long and the handles stick out. I keep them in and they become tedious when looking through my prints.

As you can see, I didn't paint the inside of the drawers and decided against painting that flap thing because I didn't want any red paint accidentally finding its way onto my prints.
I kept the drawer flap things on mine. I just use a small packer at each front corner of the drawer for it to rest on, so it doesn’t touch my prints.
DonPiano
Art Expert

Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:55 pm

I think for me I'm going to just wing it with my gig prints and just have them stacked on top of each other once they're all flat. It'll save me space. I've got foam core on the bottom of each drawer so that'll help out enough. For the film and art prints I'll make sure that they're separated by glassine. Best I can do for the time being I guess.
The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.