Art preservation for the poor

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
FAMPart
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:03 pm

Hi All

So I've been reading through a lot of the threads in this forum for art preservation and while I'll eventually get a portfolio or a flat file, in the meantime I'd like to have all my prints preserved the best they can and have them lay flat instead of sitting in tube with minimal risk of damage. Would the below setup work or would it cause any problems? Assume that I have a flat and safe location to lay the prints.

Take my print and put a sheet of glassine paper on the side of ink http://www.dickblick.com/products/glass ... ing-paper/ or http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount- ... Qgodky8AXA

Then I would slide said print into a protective acid free clear bag http://www.framedestination.com/bags/pr ... em/BGPRBA/.

I would repeat the above process until all my pieces each have their own bag.

I would then buy two pieces of acid free foam board and place all of the prints between them and leave them to store until I get a portfolio or flat file http://www.dickblick.com/products/elmer ... foamboard/

Would this work or would it be better to flatten each piece first with the foamcore, then slide into the bags with the glassine paper and then, once all are flattened, stack them on top of each other and keep them in between the foamcore for safety?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:06 pm

Seems pretty good - maybe even a little overkill. I don't think you need both glassine and the bag, one or the other should be fine. Also, I would flatten BEFORE trying to bag it (at least for a few days) - just with some poster weights or even books/glasses. Sliding it into a bag while curly, is a giant pain.
T.H.C.
suchanoo
Art Expert

Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:33 am

I used to use picture boxes before I bought my first flatfile, about $10 a box. The link below is a UK company, but I'm sure these must be sold everywhere. Kept my prints in sleeves and then stacked them maybe 10 - 15 deep in each box. They're not too deep, so you can slide them easily under a bed.

You can always reinforce them by fixing a sheet of hardboard or similar to the top and bottom exterior. 2 sizes, the smaller fits 18x24's nicely, and the large fits 24x36 with room to spare.

I still use them to store my spare sleeves, they've lasted ages...

Link - picture boxes UK
UK Member? Reclaim some VAT... http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =8&t=85994
shut your mouth and open your mind
FAMPart
Art Connoisseur

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:46 pm

suchanoo wrote:I used to use picture boxes before I bought my first flatfile, about $10 a box. The link below is a UK company, but I'm sure these must be sold everywhere. Kept my prints in sleeves and then stacked them maybe 10 - 15 deep in each box. They're not too deep, so you can slide them easily under a bed.

You can always reinforce them by fixing a sheet of hardboard or similar to the top and bottom exterior. 2 sizes, the smaller fits 18x24's nicely, and the large fits 24x36 with room to spare.

I still use them to store my spare sleeves, they've lasted ages...

Link - picture boxes UK
ok cool. I'd rather be slightly overkill then under. I should be able to find them somewhere in the states as I'll def. need the space for a 24x36. Got me a couple of ken taylors that need the space.

Do I need anything for the corners or should I be alright if the prints are isolated?
Corbot3000
Art Enthusiast

Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:04 am

FAMPart wrote: Then I would slide said print into a protective acid free clear bag http://www.framedestination.com/bags/pr ... em/BGPRBA/.
How are these so cheap if they're acid free? Am I risking anything by buying backing board and putting it in a crystal clear bags with a print on each size? If I have 24x36 prints, should I go with the 40x30 or 34x36?
Cragars
Art Expert

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:01 am

Corbot3000 wrote:
FAMPart wrote: Then I would slide said print into a protective acid free clear bag http://www.framedestination.com/bags/pr ... em/BGPRBA/.
How are these so cheap if they're acid free? Am I risking anything by buying backing board and putting it in a crystal clear bags with a print on each size? If I have 24x36 prints, should I go with the 40x30 or 34x36?
I haven't experienced any problems with them thus far. I do those with acid free backing in the 40x30 size. Give a nice border of protection around the prints.

Edit: The bag AND backing way is more expensive after a while. Def not the way to go if you're looking to not spend so much.
Last edited by Cragars on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:07 am

Is space an issue?

Think you'all go too far sometimes.....

Large piece of plexi glass
Poly bags

Done
ffactoryxx
Art Connoisseur

Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:40 pm

Grateful69Phish wrote:Is space an issue?

Think you'all go too far sometimes.....

Large piece of plexi glass
Poly bags

Done
So you bag them without backing then just stack a few and sandwich in between plexi
Grateful69Phish
Art Freak

Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:43 pm

Flatten

Into poly bag

Onto the stack of prints on the plexi- could stack a hundred that way. Then, next piece of plexi, start stacking.

Just dont stack a small print under a large print- impressions etc if you get a lot of weight. Put similar size prints together
hype
Art Enthusiast

Sat May 11, 2013 12:57 am

I have a ton of extra cardboard boxes laying around (unused and still flat) would there be any problems by getting a 10 pack of the 20x24 crystal clear bags and just put my prints in those and in between the cardboard boxes under a bed? i'd like to go the cheapest route possible while keeping the danger of damage down because sometime this year i plan on getting a flat file when i come across a good enough deal...

or would it cause possible problems over a little time if prints of different sizes were laying on each other in the bags? i could just do another layer of cardboard in between prints if the size difference is quite a bit?

any feedback would be hugely appreciated!
sugarhiccup
Art Connoisseur

Thu May 30, 2013 5:36 pm

Corbot3000 wrote:
These are poly, not mylar. Poly is cheaper and okay for the casual hobbyist/collector, they'll keep your prints safe for ~10+ years.
Mylar is most ideal, but is much more expensive. You could consider just Mylar'ing your more valuable pieces, and sticking the rest in poly bags.

Personally I'd go with 40x30. You could consider mounting corners if you're worried about 24x36 prints sliding around.
hype wrote:I have a ton of extra cardboard boxes laying around (unused and still flat) would there be any problems by getting a 10 pack of the 20x24 crystal clear bags and just put my prints in those and in between the cardboard boxes under a bed? i'd like to go the cheapest route possible while keeping the danger of damage down because sometime this year i plan on getting a flat file when i come across a good enough deal...

or would it cause possible problems over a little time if prints of different sizes were laying on each other in the bags? i could just do another layer of cardboard in between prints if the size difference is quite a bit?

any feedback would be hugely appreciated!
I don't see a problem with the cardboard boxes if the prints are bagged up. Ideally you'd want to go acid-free foamcore just to be safe, but since you have the cardboard lying around might as well put them to use. Also, you indicated that you're buying a flat file in the near future, so this doesn't sound like a bad short-term setup. I wouldn't stack too many in one pile though - too much weight on the bottom prints can't be good for them.

Also, be careful if your boxes are flimsy (as many cardboard boxes are). If you have quite a few prints and many cardboard layers, the weight on the top could bend down the bottom layers of cardboard and bend the prints, too, especially if you're stacking prints of different sizes. You likely already know this, but it's probably best to go larger prints on the bottom, smaller prints on top.

If I'm mistaken on any point above, feel free to correct me.
1xRun Timed Print Releases Invite - http://1xrun.com/invite/isabelxhsu
Duck
Art Enthusiast

Thu May 30, 2013 11:15 pm

I'm going to order some of the bags tonight. My only questions is I have prints that are smaller than 24x36 would those be ok to put in each bag? I have some 12x36 as well as a couple of 20x30. This just seems like a cheap option for me until I can get them framed. They will be placed in a bag and put in between two acid free boards. I'm just not sure if they will get damaged by putting them in a bigger bag.
SurfingJeff
Art Expert

Thu May 30, 2013 11:46 pm

A larger bag will be fine as long as they aren't going to shift around a ton. Also, if you're buying in bulk and not spending a ton per bag (like the poly ones on FD), you can sometimes just trim them down with scissors.
T.H.C.
Duck
Art Enthusiast

Fri May 31, 2013 12:10 am

Thats a good idea! I'll have to try that, but yeah they wont be shifting around hardly at all. Will be sitting under a bed until they get framed, but I will have to try and trim one down and see how good it works.