Pimp My Flat File - Mayline to Streamline

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
iambillyg
Art Freak

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:24 pm

That seems very expensive for a flat file with, really, only three usable drawers. You could obviously use the top two drawers for packing supplies or other random things, but that really seems expensive at almost $500. Unless there's some personal attachment to it, I would look elsewhere.

You can easily find a metal or wooden one, with 5 usable drawers for half that price.
DjPhaze
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:28 pm

iambillyg wrote:That seems very expensive for a flat file with, really, only three usable drawers. You could obviously use the top two drawers for packing supplies or other random things, but that really seems expensive at almost $500. Unless there's some personal attachment to it, I would look elsewhere.

You can easily find a metal or wooden one, with 5 usable drawers for half that price.
If you know where let me know. i havent had any luck
iambillyg
Art Freak

Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:45 am

DjPhaze wrote:
iambillyg wrote:That seems very expensive for a flat file with, really, only three usable drawers. You could obviously use the top two drawers for packing supplies or other random things, but that really seems expensive at almost $500. Unless there's some personal attachment to it, I would look elsewhere.

What's your location?
DjPhaze
Art Connoisseur

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:28 am

iambillyg wrote:
DjPhaze wrote:

What's your location?
Los angeles. I found this one near by...

Just doesnt have the top, but looks like i might be able to just drop some glass in
iambillyg
Art Freak

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:32 am

I'll keep an eye out for you. I'm sure a better deal can be found.

Regarding the one you just posted, a sheet of glass should be fine. Or you could find someone to create a custom wooden top for you. That is what I did with mine:

- -

Also, I don't want to derail pringle's thread any more than it already has been, as I assume it should remain about his build. You may want to post further questions in a separate thread of your own, or these:

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =3&t=96560
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =3&t=62656
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =3&t=79055 (Says Texas, but other ads are posted in there frequently)
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 3&t=108338
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... =3&t=26809
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 3&t=108258
http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... 3&t=105458

Just a suggestion.
daviddelgadoh
Art Expert

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:43 am

predel1 wrote:It has no top and who knows if the dust covers are Acid free? :(
Non-acid free won't kill your prints unless you're talking years and years. It's just paper, not some delicate fragile crystals found only in South American caves. Sure you want acid-free for long term stuff, but they'll be totally fine in the time it takes you to sort out your flatfile, even if that ends up becoming a year or so.
Nice stuff though, been jealous of your setup since I saw it on FB :pint:
summoner
Art Freak

Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:48 am

daviddelgadoh wrote:
predel1 wrote:It has no top and who knows if the dust covers are Acid free? :(
Non-acid free won't kill your prints unless you're talking years and years. It's just paper, not some delicate fragile crystals found only in South American caves. Sure you want acid-free for long term stuff, but they'll be totally fine in the time it takes you to sort out your flatfile, even if that ends up becoming a year or so.
Nice stuff though, been jealous of your setup since I saw it on FB :pint:
This, people tend to over think archival materials when it comes to flattening and short term storage. Prints are shipped in non acid free kraft paper tubes, wrapped in non acid free kraft paper... and they all are just fine. It is long term framing and long term storage when you want to make sure that the environment will not change the integrity of the material. In all reality, having it exposed to the air is something that can effect a print before something like kraft paper would.
Image Image Image
predel1
Art Enthusiast

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:50 pm

sfxdan wrote:with regards to grinding the lips on the top of the file where you want to put the glass. It would be easier and quicker to cut it with a slitting disc, and the grind it back with a flap disc (sanding it smooth). If you were worried about the edges being rough/sharp you can get rubber trim (the kinda stuff the goes around car windows) you can buy it in rolls and its a "U" shape so it will fit over any pertruding edges.

James' idea about raising the print to the glass could be cool, cos then you could jack the the print up using layers of acid free foam board (to get it to the height of the glass) and also flatten other prints in between the layers of foam board at the same time.
In regards to your first suggestion. It prob would be easier. But anything worth doing is worth doing right. I did think about the rubber edges from car door trim but I think that I want to keep the design as clean and simple as possible.

Also, I am not sure how necessary adding mechanics to this project is either. Seems like it would be hard to get right but more importantly mess up something else I am planning with it too. That I have not talked about yet. :) The foam core is a good idea. But until my prints are overflowing from the bottom 4 drawers I will only have one print at a time in the top. Currently I only have 80 prints.
predel1
Art Enthusiast

Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:53 pm

sfxdan wrote:love the Dr Strange print by the way! are you going to do another frame up set - like you did with the stouts, but with comic covers?
I would to do another frame up set but I am out of practical wall space. I could more out into the hallway but that is shared space with the neighbors, were my superman print is now. One of the main reasons I am making this coffee table is to display prints whenever I want to like a picture frame but I could have a new one in the window every day. :P
predel1
Art Enthusiast

Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:14 pm

evilpresence wrote:I'm assuming you'll be removing the current coat of paint some how. Have you looked into sandblasting, sanding and/or paint stripper?

Have any idea about painting yet? Spray paint or powder coating?

@Kenny - Granite would be pretty sweet.

If you really want it unique, you could use a glass top and put a model N scale train in the top shelf. Yes it would reduce the amount of space for storing prints, but you could have a few billboards around the track with pictures of the prints inside the flat file. Unique and I'm sure no one else has done it before, ever.
Haha While I love the idea of the train garden in the file cabinet, I think it is a bit ridiculous. But it made me smile. :D

As far as painting goes. You only need to get the surface smooth and sand down all of the areas so the paint will adhere. I think 320 grit should get the job done. Powder coating will not work. I need to use body filler to get rid of the dent and powder coating need to be bare metal.
predel1
Art Enthusiast

Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:23 pm

I plan on posting a lot more updates tomorrow. :)
WallyWest78
Art Connoisseur

Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:57 am

More updates please!! :D
GO HABS GO!!!
felocin
Art Expert

Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:25 pm

WallyWest78 wrote:More updates please!! :D
predel1
Art Enthusiast

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:59 pm

Okay so I am sorry guys. I did type up the next post, but I actually saved it because I had to restart my computer. Now I can't seem to figure out how to get it back. I really don't want to write it all over again. PM if you know how to retrieve a saved post.
plasticmoz
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:05 am

If you have a post saved and you compose a new one (e.g. just hit reply on this thread) -- there will be a "Load" button on the left of the usual preview and submit buttons.