Pimp My Flat File - Mayline to Streamline

Information on shipping, storing and repairing your art, plus your reviews on products for art collecting, making, storing, etc..
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:38 pm

nice pad.
sfxdan
Art Connoisseur

Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:53 pm

What a cool place!!! looks like tony montanas penthouse! haha

loving the 3 stout prints together!! really like the flat file with the glass top! gota subscribe to you dude!
WallyWest78
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:12 am

Looks great Pete! Use the 3" casters and don't forget to sell me one once you get this little side business running ;)

At the very least I can look forward to using your guide to help me out if I ever can find a flat file for my place.
GO HABS GO!!!
predel1
Art Enthusiast

Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:40 am

Step Three - This fudge just got Real! Time to come up with a Plan of action.

Holy Crap I have a Flat File of my own! AAAAnd... It is sitting in the middle of my floor, not very useable at the moment. It has no top and who knows if the dust covers are Acid free? :(

I didn’t actually think I would ever have one after seeing everyone's awesome ones on the internet. The pressure is on for me to fix it up quick or my GF who lives with me is going to kill me. I did't want to make it just like everyone elses flat files. I want this to be totally me and completely unique and original.

Currently it is painted two different shades of grey. The second shade due to some dumb guy with a spray can that just wanted the front to be a lighter grey.
Holding awesome prints.jpg

You can see the (White/Grey) paint job in this shot. ^^^^^^^

So the first and largest problem I see with this flat file is that there are these large protruding beams that stick up off of the top.
Flat File Edges 1.jpg
These will not allow me to just place a piece of glass on top of this and be done. Now, the Mayline does have a great 3 inch lip on the top of it perfectly framing the drawer below. It is a shame that these lips are here stopping me from just dropping a piece of glass in the well and being done. I had to come up with something else.

I decided that I needed to grind them off. Now I remember seeing another guy that had a Mayline and he just ground down the uprights on the left and right and added a top. Here is that link ( http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopi ... &start=105 ) I want to add glass on top of mine and I think if glass is sitting on those metal edges, it has more of a chance to break and destroy the print that lies below :shock: . So after a little brainstorming and just sitting and staring at my flat file, I decided that I need to grind the lips off of all 4 sides. All the way back to the front walls of the file. That way I can insert something into the shadow box type well we create. Then sit the glass on top of that so it is flush and it has something smooth to rest on as well. (You will see later how this becomes an issue.)

Now that the top had been figured out I needed to start looking for casters. I typed in "Cool Casters" into Google and this site came up. https://www.coolcasters.com/
I even looked around the web and the hardware store a little more and could not find any site that had as many amazing casters.

After some browsing I was debating between these styles.
http://www.coolcasters.com/category/4/3 ... um-casters
http://www.coolcasters.com/category/135 ... el-casters
http://www.coolcasters.com/category/7/3 ... en-casters

Finally, I came to a decision on these. http://www.coolcasters.com/product/819_ ... ts-wb-4-in
I thought that the brushed Aluminum would match better to the handles. More than the nickel plated would. So I ordered a set of 4. I also ordered 12 CORKY'S Poster Weights too. http://corkys.bigcartel.com/ I figured I would need more for all of my drawers to hold sweet prints in place.
Casters and weights.jpg
After I got the Casters in the mail I realized that bigger is not always better. After the casters are on this thing, I measured that it would be higher than my knees after sitting down at the sofa. That is no good for a coffee table. I sent them back with a 15% restocking fee. :evil: But I still wanted that style, I am just going to wait to buy them again till I have it all fleshed out. and I know the exact ones.

You live and you learn. Right?
KennyRE317
Art Expert

Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:12 am

how come most people choose to use glass tops? when i threw around the idea of using my flatfile for a coffee table i was going to go dark granite, which i though would look amazing in your space ... maybe personal opinion but i think it looks alot better than seeing another print in there or a stack of other prints when you have them on the walls. i ditched the coffee table idea because my office is already crammed with stuff and putting a flatfile in the room would just eliminate more floor space.
jampar5000
Art Expert

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:46 am

Subscribed - cannot wait to see how this turns out Pete!

I like the idea of having a glass top so you can see the print flattening inside. I would almost be tempted to put a lever system in that pushes the print flush to the glass, so it looks almost like a framed print is the top of the coffee table.

Pete, given the size and weight, would you consider using another 2 casters to make it 6 to try and spread the weight so it does not damage the floor?
LeeKaye wrote:I liked it, but I am trying to resist the lure of one more 'wafer thin print'
sfxdan
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:00 am

with regards to grinding the lips on the top of the file where you want to put the glass. It would be easier and quicker to cut it with a slitting disc, and the grind it back with a flap disc (sanding it smooth). If you were worried about the edges being rough/sharp you can get rubber trim (the kinda stuff the goes around car windows) you can buy it in rolls and its a "U" shape so it will fit over any pertruding edges.

James' idea about raising the print to the glass could be cool, cos then you could jack the the print up using layers of acid free foam board (to get it to the height of the glass) and also flatten other prints in between the layers of foam board at the same time.
sfxdan
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:02 am

love the Dr Strange print by the way! are you going to do another frame up set - like you did with the stouts, but with comic covers?
Chenley123
Art Expert

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:18 am

jampar5000 wrote:Subscribed - cannot wait to see how this turns out Pete!

Pete, given the size and weight, would you consider using another 2 casters to make it 6 to try and spread the weight so it does not damage the floor?
I was thinking that too...but it may look like overkill. Great thread man, looking forward to seeing how it turns out
Yamar
EB Team Emeritus

Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:33 am

Casters of the size he'd previously had are meant to bear upwards of several hundred pounds EACH. I wouldn't worry about the imprint of a single one from a file - they aren't THAT heavy, even full of paper. Now if you go down to something like a 1.5" diameter wheel, this may become something to think about but just look at what the hardware is rated for - should give you an idea. Plus I'd consider the width of the wheel itself - a thin wheel will try harder to cut a groove than a wide one. Think racing model bikes compared to the wheels on a mountain rider...
Tra la la la la...
evilpresence
Art Expert

Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:14 pm

I'm assuming you'll be removing the current coat of paint some how. Have you looked into sandblasting, sanding and/or paint stripper?

Have any idea about painting yet? Spray paint or powder coating?

@Kenny - Granite would be pretty sweet.

If you really want it unique, you could use a glass top and put a model N scale train in the top shelf. Yes it would reduce the amount of space for storing prints, but you could have a few billboards around the track with pictures of the prints inside the flat file. Unique and I'm sure no one else has done it before, ever.
recycler
Art Expert

Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:24 pm

RottenAtom wrote:nice pad.
This!

More pictures of your place too. I want to see what is on the other side of that room. Is your place old or is it just built that way?
DjPhaze
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Wow im jealous. Your place looks great. Im also in the market for a flat file. A neighbor of mine is selling one and he wants $480 for it. Made by Mayline. The thing i like about it is that its made of wood. Its in decent condition as well. You dont see too many of these around.
Here are the specs...Size: 46" Wide, 35" Deep, 19" Tall

This would be perfect for my 30" x 40" foam core boards that currently have prints attach to.

I was wondering if this is a good deal? Dont know much about Mayline but i know they are expensive.
recycler
Art Expert

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:13 pm

If the two top drawers can fit 18 by 24s then I would consider. Especially if the lock works.

Craigslist always has flatfiles on it. Mine is a Foster 25 drawer - got for $150. The Mayline has some nostalgia so maybe 480 ain't too bad.
DjPhaze
Art Connoisseur

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:21 pm

recycler wrote:If the two top drawers can fit 18 by 24s then I would consider. Especially if the lock works.

Craigslist always has flatfiles on it. Mine is a Foster 25 drawer - got for $150. The Mayline has some nostalgia so maybe 480 ain't too bad.

Good idea. Let me find out if they are 18 x 24. i doubt it though.