2020 Elections - A New Hope

Civics, civilly. Post lifetime is 6 months.
mobius006
Art Freak

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:02 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:00 pm
finneganm wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:50 pm
Personally hoping that Bloomberg rethinks his decision to not run.

Edit: but not holding my breath
Just what we need...another person in their late 70s with their hat in the ring.
:feedback:
finneganm
Art Freak

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:05 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:00 pm
finneganm wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:50 pm
Personally hoping that Bloomberg rethinks his decision to not run.

Edit: but not holding my breath
Just what we need...another person in their late 70s with their hat in the ring.
That’s a silly way to look at it, but sure.
That's what she said
jjttdw
Art Expert

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:43 pm

I've been as consistent in my message as crazy haired, finger wagging grandpa Bernie has been in his: the mental and physical demands of POTUS are best left to those who are under the age of 70. The U.S. has had 2 Presidents over age 70: Reagan, who started U.S. addiction to debt and Trump who is at best a fucktard. The solution isn't picking someone older than the both of them and things will turn out swimmingly.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
pvecchi
Art Expert

Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:06 am

jjttdw wrote:
I've been as consistent in my message as crazy haired, finger wagging grandpa Bernie has been in his: the mental and physical demands of POTUS are best left to those who are under the age of 70. The U.S. has had 2 Presidents over age 70: Reagan, who started U.S. addiction to debt and Trump who is at best a fucktard. The solution isn't picking someone older than the both of them and things will turn out swimmingly.

I hear what you are saying, and I agree somewhat.

But the two examples you listed above weren’t / aren’t horrible because they were old necessarily

A good leader has a clear vision and the intelligence to hire / appoint the right / competent people to help realize it. Personally I think experience is important to this.

The most important company resource is the workers. Same with the government
BlakeAronson
Flipper

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:16 pm

pvecchi wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:06 am
jjttdw wrote:

I hear what you are saying, and I agree somewhat.

But the two examples you listed above weren’t / aren’t horrible because they were old necessarily

A good leader has a clear vision and the intelligence to hire / appoint the right / competent people to help realize it. Personally I think experience is important to this.

The most important company resource is the workers. Same with the government
Not to mention the other thing they had in common, they were both celebrities first, not politicians.
8=====D~~~~
jjttdw
Art Expert

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:51 pm

Ok, don't believe that 80 is too old to be President? Let's ask someone who actually was Preident, Jimmy Carter. He was a politician before taking office. Not the best President but a Nuclear Engineer who graduated from the Naval Academy. He has also done one hell of a lot in the 40 years since leaving office.

Jimmy Carter: "I hope there's an age limit on the Presidency, I couldn't do it at age 80."

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video ... at_80.html
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
finneganm
Art Freak

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:05 pm

It depends on the person.
I think Bloomberg has the mental clarity and stamina to do the job effectively and better than most of the other options I currently see.
If your only criteria is age, I don’t know how to sugar coat “that’s drymounting stupid”.
That's what she said
BlakeAronson
Flipper

Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:56 pm

finneganm wrote:
I think Bloomberg has the mental clarity and stamina to do the job effectively and better than most of the other options I currently see.
If your only criteria is age, I don’t know how to sugar coat “that’s drymounting stupid”.
Trump, Sanders, Biden and Warren are all 70 or older. Two are sharp, one isn't, one has so many other mental issues it's hard to tell if he's lost it mentally. The wide range in their mental states should tell you we should be taking this on a case by case basis.
8=====D~~~~
mobius006
Art Freak

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:39 am

almost like we should look at people as a sum of everything they do and say.
fredo
Art God

Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:59 am

To me a person's ability to give rehearsed answers on stage + the same stump speech 1,000 times isn't really a hard indicator of mental fitness for the job. So age seems like a reasonable second tier...uh...vetting thing.

Not that the job should be THAT hard or impactful anyway. The executive has got to be reigned back in imo.

ps Reagan was in serious decline way before he got "credit" for it. People covered the issue up illegally.
just a foil for me today, thanks
jjttdw
Art Expert

Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:04 pm

finneganm wrote:
Fair enough. Age isn't my only criteria but it certainly will be a factor for my primary vote. Carter had the mental clarity and stamina to do a hell of a lot at age 80 and he says that it is too old. Have you known someone well as they progressed from their 50s to their 80? I've know a handful and most were mentally with it at 80. To the last all were diminished from what they were 25 years earlier.

I'll let the topic die except for the occasional dig. I'll leave with a National Center for Biotechnology Information
study

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4015335/

Executive Functioning

Executive functioning refers to capacities that allow a person to successfully engage in independent, appropriate, purposive, and self-serving behavior. This includes a wide range of cognitive abilities such as the ability to self-monitor, plan, organize, reason, be mentally flexible, and problem-solve. Research has shown that concept formation, abstraction, and mental flexibility decline with age, especially after age 70, as older adults tend to think more concretely than younger adults. Aging also negatively affects response inhibition, which is the ability to inhibit an automatic response in favor of producing a novel response.38 Executive abilities requiring a speeded motor component are particularly susceptible to age effects. The Whitehall II study also found declines in inductive reasoning, as measured by verbal and mathematic reasoning tasks, beginning around age 45. Reasoning with unfamiliar material also declines with age. Other types of executive function, such as the ability to appreciate similarities, describe the meaning of proverbs, and reason about familiar material, remain stable throughout life.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:38 am

A good summation of some of my apprehensions with Warren. I'm not sure if I 100% agree with this but it's worth thinking about imo.
mobius006
Art Freak

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:09 pm

- how have Warren fires dimmed by Washington between 2015 and now? That claim makes zero sense.
- Comeys email stuff is what changed it, not the action itself, and how hard the media hit on it FOR DAYS. The 'Pocahontas" has no other shoe to drop, or else they would of pulled it out already.
- The idea that ivy league people are whos behind her is crazy. Going to rallies this isn't who you see.

+ Biden's lead is shrinking everywhere, and if minorities switch anytime soon in a large number, and show up to vote like that he's done.

This video feels like FB clickbate, which has power sure. But, I see ZERO new information here about her, yet she is rising in every poll out there, which means her support is growing. I don't think you can tie that to losing. If shes as strong as she is now, with current polls, she'll keep rising once she wins actual votes. Her message will hit strongly in the few states she needs to win the nominations, and we'll see how it goes.
jjttdw
Art Expert

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:23 pm

But it is Krystal Ball, who better to prognosticate.

Someone should slap her parents for her name. I wonder how her brother Harry feels about his name.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:36 pm

I didn't know who Krystal Ball (I hate dat fuggin name) was before seeing her on Bill maher the other day, and after seeing Bari Weiss wipe the floor with her, and dis fudge, I don't give a fug about what she has to say.

P.S. I don't particularly think it matters who wins out of the "Top 3". Swing states either want 4 more years of trump or they don't. SAD-ly I think they prolly do.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.