2020 Elections - A New Hope

Civics, civilly. Post lifetime is 6 months.
Post Reply
User avatar
hunterjax
Art Expert
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:40 am

Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:44 am

dero316 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:02 am
Maybe a Warren/Buttigieg ticket?

Does trump switch his VP for the election? Nikki Haley?
I think that ticket has the most legs . . .

Interesting idea about Trump switching VPs but I think the reason so many evangelicals have stuck with Trump is solely because of Milktoast Mike.
_____________
RambosRemodeler wrote:.........You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.
User avatar
plaink
Art Connoisseur
Posts: 937
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:51 am

Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:13 am

Interesting signs..

Image

He might drop Pence to get a news cycle, based on that rally it looks like all he's got to win news cycles is turning the volume to 11, running against Clinton still, and maybe stunts like dangling Pence over a pit of death. The red meat is fine for the base, but we'd all tune in for a Pence firing.
User avatar
jjttdw
Art Expert
Posts: 5810
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:53 am

Any thoughts on last night's debate? IMO no one came across as a Rick Perry level dumbass except maybe Tim Ryan with his Taliban answer. Inslee seemed stiff as did DeBlasio. Beto did himself no favors. Even though he has no chance, I liked a couple of Delaney's answers.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
User avatar
sixstringer
Art Expert
Posts: 6865
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:29 pm

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:34 am

I thought I was watching Fox News based on the terrible questioning. Pathetic.
User avatar
hunterjax
Art Expert
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:40 am

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:43 am

what difference does it make . . . American Democracy just died:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... ng-rights/
_____________
RambosRemodeler wrote:.........You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.
User avatar
jjbehren
Flipper
Posts: 12674
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:00 am

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:06 am

hunterjax wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:43 am
what difference does it make . . . American Democracy just died:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... ng-rights/
RIP. I was just going to post that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/27/us/p ... ering.html
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
hunterjax
Art Expert
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:40 am

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:08 am

jjbehren wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:06 am
hunterjax wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:43 am
what difference does it make . . . American Democracy just died:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... ng-rights/
RIP. I was just going to post that.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/27/us/p ... ering.html
Left or Right, it's an abomination of a decision. Embarrassed to say I work for the Federal Judiciary today. :(
_____________
RambosRemodeler wrote:.........You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.
User avatar
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much
Posts: 51204
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Expresso Beans

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:40 am

“I propose that we draw the maps to give a partisan advantage to 10 Republicans and three Democrats,” he said, “because I do not believe it’s possible to draw a map with 11 Republicans and two Democrats.”
Luls.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
User avatar
jjbehren
Flipper
Posts: 12674
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:00 am

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:53 pm

I have not read the decision yet, but to be fair to the Court, from what I understand, they ruled it's not a Federal Court issue, which, fine. They left it to the states. I'm typically pretty progressive, but I also believe strongly in states' rights.

The problem is the states are already so gerrymandered (left and right - but more so right), that the current party in power will be hard to vote out. And now they have no real motivation to change the status quo. And only half of the states have any mechanism available to them to take the power out of the state legislature via a ballot initiative.

The infuriating part, and where Justice Roberts either shows that he's an idiot or, more likely, just a partisan hypocrite, is where Roberts points to independent redistricting commissions as a solution to the problem. In 2015 Roberts wrote a very strong dissent to the Supreme Court's decision to uphold Arizona's independent redistricting commission, saying that the power to redistrict lies in the legislature, not independent citizens (the commission was created via a ballot initiative). I would bet Roberts has some nepotism-hire for a law clerk who probably never bothered to familiarize himself with Roberts' dissents.

And worse, the AZ case was a 5-4 decision made before Kavanaugh replaced Kennedy on the Court. Now the Court has the numbers to declare these independent commissions totally unconstitutional unless they are created directly by the state legislatures, which, see above.
ImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
mobius006
Art Freak
Posts: 12882
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:16 pm

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:39 pm

jjbehren agree 100%
User avatar
fredo
Art God
Posts: 25737
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: ENZEE

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:22 pm

just a foil for me today, thanks
User avatar
jjttdw
Art Expert
Posts: 5810
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:25 pm

If SCOTUS said the NC gerrymandering was not a Federal issue I disagree because it is districts for Federal office that they are gerrymandering. I might agree if it were the state districts that were gerrymandered. For those that don't know, congressional voting in NC was around 50/50 but the seats are 10-3 Republican. Maryland Democrats pulled the same thing to allow only one R seat. It is garbage no matter which party is doing it.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
User avatar
hunterjax
Art Expert
Posts: 4457
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:40 am

Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:45 pm

jjttdw wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:25 pm
If SCOTUS said the NC gerrymandering was not a Federal issue I disagree because it is districts for Federal office that they are gerrymandering. I might agree if it were the state districts that were gerrymandered. For those that don't know, congressional voting in NC was around 50/50 but the seats are 10-3 Republican. Maryland Democrats pulled the same thing to allow only one R seat. It is garbage no matter which party is doing it.
^This. I get the States Right argument part of this, but not when federal offices/elections are involved.
_____________
RambosRemodeler wrote:.........You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.
Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.
User avatar
jjttdw
Art Expert
Posts: 5810
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:55 pm

Edit to my post above...it was 50.39% R and 48.35% D in 2018 with one race won won by a R that was unchallenged. Had ANY D run in that race he/she would have won around 33% based on past results. Factoring that in would have resulted in a majority voting for Ds but getting 10-3 R as a result.
NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart
turnJBup
Art Expert
Posts: 8833
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:00 am
Location: California

Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:59 pm

Image
Post Reply